• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Financial district food

Dryden

Having now relocated in work down to Water and Broad, I once again turn to the EG community... What's good down here?

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

That's what worries me... the idea that Heartland Brewery is a go-to place... for the food.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Yeah, it's a little bleak. But at least you'll be there during the day....when things are open (don't get me wrong....we did like living there). For the record, Heartland was a go-to place because it was within walking distance, was open after 7pm and had beer. : )

That's what worries me...  the idea that Heartland Brewery is a go-to place... for the food.

There's good news and bad news. The bad news is that there still isn't all that much top notch food in the 'hood. The good news is that there are plenty of places FAR better than Heartland Brewery, depending on what type and level of dining you're looking for.

For casual lunch, the soups, mains and some sandwiches at Smorgas Chef aren't bad at all, and the Swedish meatballs quite good. The best Japanese in the area is Ise (on Pine, I think). I'm a big sushi purist, and while this place doesn't stand up to the top in town (Ushi Wakamaru, Yasuda, Kuruma, etc.), it's good enough that it's where most Japanese businessmen head when they're downtown. Fairly traditional, and the quality of the fish, etc. is well above average.

Also, Bridge Cafe is quite good, if a bit overpriced, and if Bayard's is still around, the food is quite good, even though it's very old school (dover sole, prime rib, etc.). There's also Mark Joseph steakhouse, which is above the level of the Smith and Wollenskys of the world, though not in the league of the best steaks in town (Luger, Strip House).

There are a few more than serviceable Italian places, including the new Barbarini Alimentari, and I'd eat Thai at Bennie's or even Lemongrass before braving Heartland. Les Halles is hit and miss, doing some bistro standards pretty well, while messing up on others.

If you're willing to move around a bit, there are many good places to eat on the edge of Chinatown and in the southeast part of Tribeca, and a number of them deliver to the area you mentioned (including Kitchenette and Roisin in Tribeca, and Doyers Vietnamese in Chintown). I can provide more info on those and others in Chinatown and Tribeca if you like.

Heartland Brewery is not only not the go-to place, but it's pretty far down the list.

LPShanet gave a good list, but I would add a few others:

Suteishi, a new Japanese place on Front Street

Radio Mexico, also I believe on Front Street at Frankfort Street

Harry's Steak and Harry's Cafe

Battery Gardens

Salud, a tapas place near the South Street Seaport

Bayard's is now closed, except for private parties.

Heartland Brewery is not only not the go-to place, but it's pretty far down the list.

LPShanet gave a good list, but I would add a few others:

Suteishi, a new Japanese place on Front Street

Radio Mexico, also I believe on Front Street at Frankfort Street

Harry's Steak and Harry's Cafe

Battery Gardens

Salud, a tapas place near the South Street Seaport

Bayard's is now closed, except for private parties.

I think Radio Mexico has closed as well. It was quite a great option...

Lenny's on John St is a great sandwich place - although it could be a little pricey - but definitely worth it

MJ Grill, also on John St, is decent

L&L Hawaiian BBQ is on Fulton St and serves cheap Asian-style BBQ with massive portions

Diwan E Khaas on Cedar St has a pretty good Indian buffet - their Tikka Masala and Curries are pretty good for the price

And of course, if you're ever in the mood for something greasy, Wendy's on Fulton and Water is where I would feed my Spicy Crispy Chicken or Frosty craving every now and then

• 3 weeks later...

As usual, I am indebted to egullet. I, and my stomach, thank you.