• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to get duck eggs in NYC

Fat Guy

Further to the general discussion of duck eggs, any ideas on where to get them in Manhattan?

I assume there's somewhere in Chinatown where one can get them. An uptown (UWS or UES) source would be even better.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Doesn't that big ass park that you live near have some ponds or something like that? In the movies they're always showing kids with sailboats, people running (sometimes in circles, but mostly from criminal, big city types) and participating in other shoreside activities, so I have always assumed that it does. I bet if you wait a couple of months you can probably find plenty of fresh duck eggs. Maybe you could train Momo to help you out. It could be a fun outing for the whole family.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Doesn't that big ass park that you live near have some ponds or something like that? In the movies they're always showing kids with sailboats, people running (sometimes in circles, but mostly from criminal, big city types) and participating in other shoreside activities, so I have always assumed that it does. I bet if you wait a couple of months you can probably find plenty of fresh duck eggs. Maybe you could train Momo to help you out. It could be a fun outing for the whole family.

That's funny, Brooks! Yeah, the Duck Pond. :laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"

And if you don't want to leave home, http://www.duckeggs.com/

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Orsay is serving duck eggs on the brunch menu.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"