• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Midtown, lunch and dinner

Margo

Where would you go?

My professional organization, the College Art Association, has its annual conference in New York next week, specifically 6th Ave. and 53rd St.. We're over-educated, underpaid professionals in the culture industry. Our taste for wine and interesting food exceeds what we can hope to be reimbursed by our home institutions. So where can I eat and imbibe without breaking the bank?

Edited by Margo (log)

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

Megan, you're an enabler! Because of course I have to go to MOMA anyway, research, you know.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

-Malcolm Dalglish

Actually, $55 is supposed to cover three meals, believe it or not. Liquor isn't included in that--my school won't reimburse for a glass of wine with dinner. Puritans.

And I'm not really tethered to midtown for dinner, since conference events end by about 7.

Still, this is at least a half-serious query, and I wanted to get a perspective on dining options in NYC for those of moderate means.

(And Megan, I see in your blog you'll be at the Cafe Sabarsky this week. That's definitely on the list of lunch options for me, too.)

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

-Malcolm Dalglish

$55 per day is really tough. I'd suggest something really light (under $10) for one of your daily meals. One option is to have a nice lunch and then head to Noodletown in Chinatown for a good $5 dinner. That leaves you with many prix fixe options for lunch like Jean Georges, and the Bar Room and the Modern.

If you want a larger dinner one night, you can always do the Burger Joint at the Parker Meridian for lunch.

Great idea on the Chinatown dinner, hshiau. A take-out breakfast from Bouchon Bakery (something light, like a croissant, almond brioche, etc) is a great way to start breakfast for $2-$5, as well.

At some point I'm sure someone will suggest "Lunch at Jean Georges." I think it's $36 for a 3 course meal?

At some point I'm sure someone will suggest "Lunch at Jean Georges." I think it's $36 for a 3 course meal?

Who knew--that's fabulous. And I haven't spent nearly enough time in Chinatown. I'll be combing through the posts. Thank you.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

-Malcolm Dalglish

Who knew--that's fabulous. And I haven't spent nearly enough time in Chinatown. I'll be combing through the posts. Thank you.

Everybody's got an opinion about Chinatown.

My wife and I like the tong-po pork (~$10, maybe more) at New Yeah Shanghai. It's a braised pork dish that has a wonderful flavor, served with clamshell-shaped white buns and will easily feed four. Here's a pic. FYI, David Chang serves a fancier (and more expensive, and smaller) version of this at Momofuku.

We like starting off with an order (~$3, 8 pcs per order) of pork soup dumplings (xiao long bao). If you haven't had them before, be very careful when eating them because they're filled with very hot broth. We actually like the dumplings at Shanghai Moon House (a few storefronts away) better because the broth is lighter and less fatty, but... whatever. If you like, you could even hop around several restaurants and just do a xiao long bao tasting. That's always fun.

I also recommend getting a vegetable dish, like the baby bok choy and black mushrooms. It's probably also less than $10. I can't always find the dish on the menu but if you just say "baby bok choy and mushrooms," they should know.

If you're somehow still hungry afterward and craving something sweet, go to the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory next door. Or you can go to the tea house just south of the nearby Haagen-Dazs for toast with condensed milk, etc.

One other thing - since you'll be near Sixth Ave and 53rd, you should try the Best Halal food cart. They open around 8 PM, it's on the southwest corner opposite the Hilton. There are multiple carts that occupy that spot throughout the day, and you'll know you have the right cart when you see an inexplicably long line queued up.

People have strong opinions about this cart. I really like it and I usually get the lamb and rice platter, about $5. Technically it could feed two. They serve basmati rice, not the bland yellow rice that the most carts serve. Some complain the salad is unimpressive... not enough "stuff" in it. Some people complain about the lamb being salty and others prefer the chicken. But when you mix it all up with the hot sauce and white sauce, you won't be disappointed. In this weather you're going to want to find an indoor spot where you can eat. The line will probably be about half an hour, so dress warmly.

For dessert afterward, I like getting a brownie and a black and white milkshake from Burger Joint. And maybe an order of fries to boot. The thing about Burger Joint at lunch is that it gets really packed. Go early or late to avoid the rush. I went a few times at 2 PM and there was still a sizeable line.

Great stuff from Larry!

If you do go to Yeah, I suggest that you get a plate of two or three cold dishes, because they make good ones, and the "Two Delicacies" or "Three Delicacies" are cheaper than getting two or three different full orders of cold dishes. Among the cold dishes I particularly like there are Kao Fu (I don't remember what it's now called on the menu), Beef Tendon, Spicy Cabbage, and Seaweed.

In Midtown, though further west and south (between 44th and 45th on 9th) is a delicious Greek bakery called Poseidon, which makes great savory and sweet pastries. There's no place to sit, but if you don't mind taking your food and walking with it, consider a visit. The staff are very helpful, and I've always been very happy with the food there.

Michael aka "Pan"

I fourth the above.

go cheap on breakfast and dinner.

spend your per diem on lunch....expecting to go out of pocket if necessary on breakfast and dinner (but by doing bagels and Chinatown you can get by for like $10).

I can't believe they won't cover wine with dinner though (at least up to the limit)...that's bizarre....its not like you're asking them to cover your bar tab.

My boyfriend used to work in Midtown, so we were always on the lookout for cheap and tasty lunches.

Here are a couple of our faves:

Bread and Olive (Lebanese) http://www.breadnolive.com/

Margon (Cuban) http://www.hungrypersononline.com/prod/restdefault.asp

and if you don't make it to Chinatown, we liked John's Shanghai (more than we liked Joe's) for soup dumplings, and Wu Liang Ye for spicy Szechuan food.

Oh, and by the way, there are many fast and cheap eats to be had at the food court in Grand Central, and its actually pretty good.

There are so many wonderful and cheap things to eat in Midtown; you just have to hunt them down. That said, the lunch at Jean Georges is really spectacular and a good value, too.

Have a great trip!

Edited by EmilyG (log)

There are so many wonderful and cheap things to eat in Midtown; you just have to hunt them down.  That said, the lunch at Jean Georges is really spectacular and a good value, too.

Have a great trip!

I knew there must be, just didn't know where. Thank you. Larrylee, especially thanks for the beginner's guide to Chinatown.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

-Malcolm Dalglish

When I worked around there, I would grab lunch from Bouchon Bakery (great sandwiches, salads and soup for lunch), Grand Sichuan, Pam Real Thai, Margon, the Daisy Mae BBQ cart (although they may suspend this one in the winter), and Wu Liang Ye- all of which can be done reasonably cheap.

As the resident Japanese food snob, and because you're in and around Midtown, I'd also recommend getting Japanese food for at least a couple of your lunches; as a result of pure demographics there is nowhere near the selection or authenticity anywhere else in the US (or world for that matter) and they have to service the droves of Japanese office workers in midtown. In addition, many more expensive Japanese restaurants follow the tradition back home and swing open their doors to offer teishoku, bento, etc. (set) lunches at very reasonable $10-$20 prices... I'd check out

Katsuhama

Riki

Donburiya

Gyu-kaku probably has a lunch

Aburiya Kinnosuke has the best lunch deals going

Menkuitei/Mechankotei for ramen/noodles

Saburi

Chikubu

That also means you can try the top top sushi restaurants out by their $25-or-so lunch sets... truly a bargain, as a Yasuda or Sushiden or Sushi Seki will still serve an above average quality meal even if you can't go omakase. Shimizu has some great lunch deals. And you can certainly start with a $20 set and get a few of your favorites on top of that. Or sometimes I'll even play the Jewish card and ask to swap out the cooked ebi piece (always a throwaway), only to violate that when raw amaebi shows up ;-)

Everybody's got an opinion about Chinatown.

My wife and I like the tong-po pork (~$10, maybe more) at New Yeah Shanghai. It's a braised pork dish that has a wonderful flavor, served with clamshell-shaped white buns and will easily feed four. Here's a pic. FYI, David Chang serves a fancier (and more expensive, and smaller) version of this at Momofuku.

We like starting off with an order (~$3, 8 pcs per order) of pork soup dumplings (xiao long bao). If you haven't had them before, be very careful when eating them because they're filled with very hot broth. We actually like the dumplings at Shanghai Moon House (a few storefronts away) better because the broth is lighter and less fatty, but... whatever. If you like, you could even hop around several restaurants and just do a xiao long bao tasting. That's always fun.

I also recommend getting a vegetable dish, like the baby bok choy and black mushrooms. It's probably also less than $10. I can't always find the dish on the menu but if you just say "baby bok choy and mushrooms," they should know.

If you're somehow still hungry afterward and craving something sweet, go to the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory next door. Or you can go to the tea house just south of the nearby Haagen-Dazs for toast with condensed milk, etc.

Just wanted to chime that this post epitomizes the perfect way to do C-town......nice going Larry.

The Yeah braised pork pic is making me crazy. I must go this wknd!

:wacko:

That wasn't chicken

Menkuitei/Mechankotei for ramen/noodles

Definitely worth going into Men Kui Tei. I find that Menchanko Tei's ramen broth falls a little flat in comparison. I really like Men Kui Tei's tonkotsu ramen a lot, paired with either an order of gyoza or as a set with fried rice. I could just make a meal out of a few onigiri ($1.50 apiece) and an order of the nira reba (chicken livers and leeks) and no ramen.

Speaking of liver, and on a completely random note, Celeste on the Upper West Side (502 Amsterdam Ave) has a really fantastic chicken liver dish... Fegatini di Pollo. Digging up my notes here... "Sauteed Chicken Livers Deglazed with Balsamic Vinegar on Toasted Bread." The crostini looks burnt when you first see it and then you realize it's soaked up some of the pleasantly sweet vinegar that tempers the meaty bitterness of the liver.

It must be lunchtime. Must... find... halal... cart...

I forgot to add Yakitori totto to my list of places that I like in that 'hood.  It isn't open for lunch, but it's inexpensive and great.

It's not, but Aburiya Kinnosuke is the same owners, and you will find some of their best dishes, like the chicken tsukune (meatballs) and some of their donburi, and many other similarities between the 2 menus, and AK is open for lunch and offers it very affordably....

while not tonkotsuramen I did have a hakataramen at Menchankotei recently and it wasn't bad at all

Men Kuitei's gyoza are great great great

I don't make it there nearly enough it's just not sexy whatsoever, and I'm not close to one, but they put a lot of other places to shame

nnn actually they've really gone down hill. In any other American city rairaiken would be THE spot, but in NY there are better. There is a Menkuitei right on Cooper Square. And I still strnogly suggest Saburi at 30th and Lex,

For sure not the best but Rai Rai is a trip. The super slim, worn in wooden bar reminds me of a couple places my fam took me to in Tokyo.....very authentic. The tight seating (aprx 15 stools), smell of gyoza and everything else prepared inches from your nose makes for a unique and memorable NY experience. And it's in a great location, E.Vlg (2 blks N. of St.Marks)....perfect for walking around. For $7 large ramen w/assorted ingredients you can't go wrong........esp for tourists on a budget I think it's a good call.

That wasn't chicken

I usually go there when I'm completely hammered. Nothing soothes an impending hangover than a tokotsuramen. The 2nd stomach new yorker's have for pizza and/or bagels is known as "betsubara" in Japan, meaning separate stomach. I have been completely full only to be dragged on for ramen....