• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

* Tab and Wonder Bread sandwiches with lettuce and chips. "Who should we nuke first?"

War of the Worlds remake with Tom Cruise?

No, sorry, Domestic Goddess. Nice try.

* Tab and Wonder Bread sandwiches with lettuce and chips. "Who should we nuke first?" * is still in play.

* Beef and cheese pot pie on a stick *

American Beauty?

Yes, petite tête de chou. Wow, that was just a passing reference in the film. Good for you. Congrats! :smile: "Beef and cheese pot pie on a stick" from American Beauty, with Kevin Spacey and Annette Bening. From the scene where Lester's wife and her lover drive up to the fast food takeout. Unknown to them, Lester is working the grill. He delivers their order (surprise, surprise) and the countergirl says to Lester's wife, "You are so busted." One of the few light moments in a dark film.

* Customer ordering at a restaurant: "Raw carrots and beets." Waiter: "This is a restaurant, not a meadow." *

Ninotchka?

* "l've been everywhere and done everything. l've eaten caviar at Cannes, sausage rolls at the dogs...What is there left for me but marriage?" *

The Lady Vanishes? Mmm. I loves me some Hitchcock.

Edited by petite tête de chou (log)

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

* Customer ordering at a restaurant: "Raw carrots and beets." Waiter: "This is a restaurant, not a meadow." * 

Ninotchka?

* "l've been everywhere and done everything. l've eaten caviar at Cannes, sausage rolls at the dogs...What is there left for me but marriage?" * 

The Lady Vanishes? Mmm. I loves me some Hitchcock.

Yes to both. Congrats! :smile: You're on a roll, petite tête de chou!

"Customer ordering at a restaurant: 'Raw carrots and beets.' Waiter: 'This is a restaurant, not a meadow.'" --from Ninotchka (1939), starring Greta Garbo and Melvyn Douglas, directed by Ernst Lubitsch. A young Billy Wilder was one of the screenwriters. Some more dialogue:

Ninotchka: "I never think about food."

Waiter: "If you don't think about food, what do you think about?"

Ninotchka: "The future of the common people."

Waiter: "That also is a question of food."

:biggrin:

"l've been everywhere and done everything. l've eaten caviar at Cannes, sausage rolls at the dogs...What is there left for me but marriage?" --from The Lady Vanishes (1938), directed by Alfred Hitchcock. From the beginning of the film, where Iris Henderson (Margaret Lockwood) bemoans her fate. Her ennui is about to change.

Almost 70 years later, Hitchcock's directing still shines in this movie. Can you believe he never won an Oscar for Director? Peter O'Toole shouldn't feel so bad.

Apologies if these are already covered, though I doubt it, as I have skipped 25-ish pages......any way here goes my tuppence worth.

**I`m gonna have the kalamari** - clue, psychopathic Ghandi.

**You got a good Sasparilla** - no clue, too easy.

**Blackpuddings are no good to us! I want somethings FLESH!** - clue, a failed Hamlet.

(I fully expect Racheld to pounce on this one!)

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

Apologies if these are already covered, though I doubt it, as I have skipped 25-ish pages......any way here goes my tuppence worth.

**Blackpuddings are no good to us! I want somethings FLESH!** - clue, a failed Hamlet.

Awwww!! Withnail :wub: Strutting and fretting, indeed.

PS---don't know the others, but I heard someone mention the Kalamari desert on TV recently.

Edited by racheld (log)

Sam Elliot was always talking about sarsparilla in The Big Lebowski, another Coen Bros. gem

BINGO ! Well done.

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

Awwww!! Withnail :wub: Strutting and fretting, indeed.

PS---don't know the others, but I heard someone mention the Kalamari desert on TV recently.

10 team points !! :laugh:

Are you sure it was kalamari, not kalahari........you say potato I say potato....... :laugh:

just had a flash about the putanesca meaning naughty girl pasta...is it the Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events as the Baudelaire children make it a couple of times, once using a spitoon.....??

Nope, we re-wound and listened twice.

To keep this on a food subject:  Are you of the po-tah-to persuasion?

ROFLMAO @ kalamari desert....... I`m of the po-tay-to(however it is also a tattie), to-mah-toe and scone rhymes with one persuasion !

A mid-week morning recap:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "The Godfather", "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo", "Moonstruck" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-petite tête de chou who did solve #143 (Tea sandwich eaten in the plants, Roast chicken on Sundays(shelling fresh peas) and 6 enormous cakes sliced in wedges that could fill a dinner plate) as the film "Pollyanna".

petite tête de chou has also correctly guessed that "Beef and cheese pot pie on a stick" is the film "American Beauty".

She also solved "Customer ordering at a restaurant: "Raw carrots and beets." Waiter: "This is a restaurant, not a meadow." as the film "Ninotchka".

And she also solved "l've been everywhere and done everything. l've eaten caviar at Cannes, sausage rolls at the dogs...What is there left for me but marriage?" as the film "The Lady Vanishes".

She also solved "'lobster in shallot, champagne and vanilla bean sauce" as the film "Dinner Rush".

-insomniac correctly guessed that #142 (A basket of figs) is the film "Cleopatra".

She also solved "You got a good Sasparilla" as the film "The Big Lebowski".

-oneidaone solved "What kind of eggs did she like?" "Poached, just like me." as the film "Runaway Bride".

-racheld has solved "Blackpuddings are no good to us! I want something's FLESH!" (CLUE: a failed Hamlet) as the film "Withnail".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-taboni has guessed that #145 (Tab and Wonder Bread sandwiches with lettuce and chips. "Who should we nuke first?") is the film "Wargames"

-Blether has guessed that #146 ("I`m gonna have the kalamari" CLUE: psychopathic Ghandi) is the film "Death and the Maiden".

-insomniac has guessed that #123 ("you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta.") is the film "Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events".

STILL UNSOLVED AND TAUNTING US UNMERCIFULLY:

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

CLUE: toothpaste

CLUE: Christmas cookies, herbal tea

CLUE: a big stack of pancakes topped with ice cream, whipped cream, M&Ms, sprinkles, and chocolate syrup

123. "you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta."

133. A skillet of dogfood, a tiger and a violin.

CLUE: Seafood, a shrimp boat, a fancy dinner party with a cliffhanger for after-dinner entertainment.

140. A peanut butter sandwich, rationed into halves in an attic, and gobbled as a storm rages outside the flapping window.

141. An extremely bizarre tea-party. The table is set with beer braised rabbit with carrots, onions and potatoes, a jar of lemonade and butter tarts for dessert.

144. A centerpiece of artichokes. Artichokes to eat, too.

145. Tab and Wonder Bread sandwiches with lettuce and chips. "Who should we nuke first?"

146. "I`m gonna have the kalamari"

CLUE: psychopathic Ghandi

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

edited to remove a redundant movie (thanks for the heads up, Donna!)

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Coming out of left field, I am guessing that

123. "you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta."

is the film "The Goodbye Girl". I know they have a spaghetti dinner in ths film. Like I said, a wild guess.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

* Tab and Wonder Bread sandwiches with lettuce and chips. "Who should we nuke first?" *

Wargames?

Yes, congrats, Taboni! :smile: "Tab and Wonder Bread sandwiches with lettuce and chips. 'Who should we nuke first?'" --from War Games with Matthew Broderick and Ally Sheedy. The kids are drinking Tab and scarfing chips, laughing their way thru the "Global Thermonuclear War" game, while NORAD goes bonkers.

UPDATE - **I`m gonna have the kalamari** - clue, psychopathic Ghandi.

Second clue - Tapas with a scary Human/Lagomorph.

* Tab and Wonder Bread sandwiches with lettuce and chips. "Who should we nuke first?" *

Wargames?

Yes, congrats, Taboni! :smile: "Tab and Wonder Bread sandwiches with lettuce and chips. 'Who should we nuke first?'" --from War Games with Matthew Broderick and Ally Sheedy. The kids are drinking Tab and scarfing chips, laughing their way thru the "Global Thermonuclear War" game, while NORAD goes bonkers.

I think it was the Tab that did it :laugh: Amazing what fragments of useless knowledge are stuck in the crannies of one's memory.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!