• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Forgotten Foods

zpzjessica

I just leafed through a book that seems to have just the sort of thing you are looking for, Jessica.

Four hundred and sixty-four pages of it, in fact. :biggrin:

Fashionable Food - Seven Decades of Food Fads

The book has many period-piece illustrations and well over 100 recipes, ranging from Blackened Redfish to "The Worst Salad of the Twenties" (Banana and Popcorn Salad). Useful as an idea source for theme parties and historical research on foods and their eras
From the Three P's Salad—that's peas, pickles, and peanuts—of the post-World War I era to the Fruit Cocktail and Spam Buffet Party loaf—all the rage in the ultra-modern 1950s, when cooking from a can epitomized culinary sophistication—Fashionable Food details the origins of these curious delicacies. In two chapters devoted to "exotic foods of the East," for example, Lovegren explores the long American love affair with Chinese food and the social status conferred upon anyone chic enough to eat pu-pu platters from Polynesia.

Full of quixotic fare, loaded with recipes of interest. :wink:

ah Karen, not milk toast but bread soaked in milk with a sprinkling of sugar if we were poorly

not to mention bread and dripping...did you do that in the States?, spreading the fat and jellied meat juices from the Sunday roast(kept in a special jar), on a slice of bread with salt and pepper. (must admit I still keep such a jar :rolleyes: )

I like marrow on toast. It's like driving at night with the headlights off, or something.

I haven't seen turtle soup in a coon's age. And it's not like there's a lack of mudturkles these days.

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!