• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PIZZA CLUB 2007

MarketStEl

So here it is, 2007 already, and I see that I failed in my goal for 2006, which was to hit all of the "Best of Philly" winners in the pizza category in Philadelphia magazine's annual awards fest.

In particular, there are still large swaths of territory which our intrepid band of pie-eyed chowhounds (oops!) have yet to cover. Center City west of Broad and the 'burbs, to name two. And there are still a few random places in territory we've visited left to re-examine.

And except for the obvious clunkers (Uno, Pizza Hut), since the goal of the tour is to determine how these former best pies stacked up now, mere reports that a place has gone into decline, such as those posted about Towne Pizza, one of the earliest winners, are not sufficient to strike it from the list of places to survey. And I believe that even though one local chain that won--Santucci Brothers--proved less than worthy, that should not deter us from inspecting Peace a Pizza, which won in the 'burbs in the early 1990s.

I'd like to add a twist to this, though: I'm sure that there are worthy places out there that have yet to be recognized with a Best of Philly, and if we're serious about enjoying pizza, we need to check these places out too, especially any newcomers.

So: Who's ready to pick up where we left off in 2006?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

So here it is, 2007 already, and I see that I failed in my goal for 2006, which was to hit all of the "Best of Philly" winners in the pizza category in Philadelphia magazine's annual awards fest.

So: Who's ready to pick up where we left off in 2006?

I'm up for a go-round... And about Santucci's-- I know the one we hit was a dud, but that might not be representative of the others. As far as I know, there's at least two factions of Santucci's, a la a certain steak sandwich family whose name I'm blanking out on at the moment. Heck, we could probably do a tour just on the various Santucci incarnations. Besides the Pennypack Circle one, there's a Santucci's on Welsh Rd. just below Bustleton, one near Knights and Woodhaven, and one on Aramingo Ave. I don't think they're all named 'Santucci Bros. Pizza', but Santucci is part of the name.

Santucci update, if anyone's interested---Listed on one Santucci website are Knights and Woodhaven, 2313 E. Venango, 8202 Roosevelt Blvd. ( the dud), and 3862 Terrace St..

Other Santucci's are at 901 Tyson Ave., 4010 Cottman Ave., Welsh Rd., and 4019 'O' St.

Edited by JanMcBaker (log)
"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Since he's familiar with the area, Scott would be the person to lead a New haven Road Trip. Sounds like fair initiation to me. I'm sure it couldn't beat our Brooklyn Trip in '04!

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring and join the '07 pizza club.  I'm just hoping that the initiation process isn't too painful...

Well, I brought home-made (NO- not ho-made :hmmm: ) chocolate chip cookies on my initial pizza club tour-- but then that was the Brooklyn trip, and what a special occasion that was! :smile:

Thanks, Lisa, that's a great idea. I could show you guys Modern Pizza, Bar (a brewery near Yale that makes some decent pies), and of course, Sally's Pizza and my favorite, Pepe's.

In fact, here are some pictures from my last trip to Pepe's with the folks:

gallery_25062_4176_704480.jpg

gallery_25062_4176_471800.jpg

gallery_25062_4176_932144.jpg

Oh yeah, and I'm sure I could scrounge up some cheese, olives and salumi for the ride up to CT...

Exceptional food + wine tours of Sicily & Puglia.

Export manager: regional Italian foods

Blogging at: Getting Lost in Sicily

"At the table, you forget your troubles."

- Sicilian proverb

Thanks, Lisa, that's a great idea.  I could show you guys Modern Pizza, Bar (a brewery near Yale that makes some decent pies), and of course, Sally's Pizza and my favorite, Pepe's.

I must agree with your choice of Pepe's as the best. I'm often in that area of Connecticut on business and have tried all the joints and hands down, Pepe's is the best.

Dare I say their clam pie is even better than Delorenzo's on Hudson in Trenton. Tomato pie isn't even close though.

I think New Haven is a must for this year. The Brooklyn trip was also my initiation into the club, and that was a fantastic outing. There was a pizza place on the Yale campus of some repute whose name escapes me, but their pie was certainly better than anything available in the vicinity of Harvard -- about the only area in which Yale is clearly superior to America's oldest college. :smile: And from the looks of Pepe's, the place near Yale wasn't even the best in town.

And if the "Best of Philly Review Tour" isn't ordeal enough, perhaps we could consider a truly impossible quest: The search for the true Famous Original Ray's Pizza?

Back to the Review Tour, though:

Let me throw out the weekend of 2/23 as the next date for a tour segment and West Center City as the geographic area: Mama Palma's, Pietro's, Towne Pizza. Who's game?

Pizza with bacon!!!

Even tho' I only tasted it with my eyes, it supports my belief that food is better with bacon.

Oh Charlie, bacon pizza is fabulous! I first heard about it years ago from, of all people, my doctor at the time! She and her husband, also a doctor, would have it once in a while. It sounded kind of strange to me at first because of the tomato part (sudden 'duh' moment here-- I love BLT's!!). But then I tried it and loved it! Yummy!

For the record: the bacon pizza at Pepe's is my favorite, although my parents prefer the clam pizza, which I'm told is the "bee's knees" (unfortunately, those little bastards would probably kill me - damn you, food allergies).

Anyway, as far as the whole Pizza Club operation goes, how exactly does it work here? Do you guys go to all of the suggested restaurants in one night, or over the course of a few evenings? If its the latter, then I'm good for 2/23, just gotta make sure that the Di Bruno overlords (just kidding, Mr. Mignuccis) will let me out early...

Looking forward to it...

Exceptional food + wine tours of Sicily & Puglia.

Export manager: regional Italian foods

Blogging at: Getting Lost in Sicily

"At the table, you forget your troubles."

- Sicilian proverb

My grad school days had me working at Powelton Pizza in West Philly and one of my favorite 'zas was a White with Bacon and Spinich....

this thread has me very hungry for pizza, and I just had lunch...

I belch, therefore, I ate...

For the record: the bacon pizza at Pepe's is my favorite, although my parents prefer the clam pizza, which I'm told is the "bee's knees" (unfortunately, those little bastards would probably kill me - damn you, food allergies).

Anyway, as far as the whole Pizza Club operation goes, how exactly does it work here?  Do you guys go to all of the suggested restaurants in one night, or over the course of a few evenings?  If its the latter, then I'm good for 2/23, just gotta make sure that the Di Bruno overlords (just kidding, Mr. Mignuccis) will let me out early...

Looking forward to it...

We visit all of the suggested places in the same day, yes, one after the other. Burp.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

We visit all of the suggested places in the same day, yes, one after the other.  Burp.

...and the Brooklyn trip ended with some of us also getting a hotdog at Nathan's on Coney Island! Double burp....

although my parents prefer the clam pizza, which I'm told is the "bee's knees"

The reason their clam pie is so amazing is the obvious use of fresh clams. Delorenzo's uses canned clams, it makes quite a difference.

This is true. The best clam pie ever is Pepe's. It's been 25 years since a bunch of my Penn roommates and I jumped into a Jeep and drove all the way to New Haven one afternoon to prove this point. (It seemed like a good idea at the time) But Trenton is a heck of a lot closer to home and even the canned clam pies are pretty damned good!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

not sure if this falls into your potential places to eat since it isnt going to be just a pizza place

Neither was La Scala's.

but Marc Vetris new place osteria is said to be selling pizzas.

Pizza by Marc Vetri?

That immediately puts it on the list of places due for inspection.

I'd like to take part in the Philly-area expedition, especially the tour of Fairmount whenever that goes down. I've been wanting in on one of these trips for a while.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Let me throw out the weekend of 2/23 as the next date for a tour segment and West Center City as the geographic area: Mama Palma's, Pietro's, Towne Pizza.  Who's game?

Great idea to set a date Sandy, and it's a great weekend. As we've been to Mama Palma's and Pietro's late 2005, how about the fairmount crawl? Rembrandt's and Illuminaire starting at 2pm on Sat. the 23rd?

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.