• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Hormonal Effects of Soy

Daniel

Article

. Research is now showing that when you feed your baby soy formula, you're giving him or her the equivalent of five birth control pills a day. A baby's endocrine system just can't cope with that kind of massive assault, so some damage is inevitable. At the extreme, the damage can be fatal.

What?

Soy is feminizing, and commonly leads to a decrease in the size of the penis, sexual confusion and homosexuality. That's why most of the medical (not socio-spiritual) blame for today's rise in homosexuality must fall upon the rise in soy formula and other soy products

Is there any truth to this article, has anyone else heard this arguement.. As someone who is about to start a Vegan Diet for the next couple of months on Monday, I am really wondering if this increase in Estrogen thing is actually true...

Edited by Daniel (log)

I do know that soy has been touted as a natural replacement for synthetic hormones for menopausal women.

I also know that it is not very effective. I sweat regardless of how much soy I use in my diet.

:biggrin:

#1 the goverment of China may have something to say about this factoid....

#2 Daniel you cant be giving up PORK

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I am not aware of any solid scientific evidence to support this. assuming that he is correct about the hormonal effects of soy (a large assumption), there might be a theoretical basis for his statements, but I don't believe that there is anything more than that.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I am not aware of any solid scientific evidence to support this. assuming that he is correct about the hormonal effects of soy (a large assumption), there might be a theoretical basis for his statements, but I don't believe that there is anything more than that.

I am going Vegan just for two months. Want to see whats that all about.. I figured I have done the too much meat and cheese thing.. Try to see the way the other side lives..

Also, the Chinese and Japanese eating habits are addressed on follow up articles link at the bottom of the original article..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Here is an old Daily Gullet article by Nina Planck: The Billion-Dollar Myth : How did soy get its reputation as a cure-all for modern ailments? Follow the money . . .

Soy can be bad for your sex life too, especially if you’re a man. It contains high levels of phytoestrogens -- plant compounds that mimic estrogens. Like many environmental pollutants, phytoestrogens act as "endocrine disruptors," which means they interfere with our hormones. By acting like estrogens, these plant compounds are bad for the sexual development and virility of boys and men. Buddhist monks knew this; they ate tofu to reduce their libido.

Women should also be wary of soy. Studies show that high doses of phytoestrogens from soy may contribute to breast cancer. The soy phytoestrogen genistein encourages cancer in breast cells. Yet soy proponents claim that phytoestrogens protect women against breast cancer. A British government report found little evidence that soy protects against breast cancer, and some evidence that soy foods increase cancer risks. Soy foods can stimulate the growth of tumors that feed on estrogen. Genistein is also linked to thyroid trouble, which affects appetite, mood, and sex drive in both men and women. The soy industry also claims that phytoestrogens reduce the symptoms of menopause, including night sweats and hot flashes. But the Journal of Clinical Oncology reported that soy isoflavone -- a phytoestrogen -- was "no better than a placebo" in controlling hot flashes in women with breast cancer. That means candy would be as effective.

For what it's worth, I'm not entirely sure I'd take Nina's word for everything here. She certainly has her viewpoint, but I don't buy some of the stuff she says about glutamate, which she characterizes as a "brain poison."

--

I will certainly keep you all abreast..

Sorry had to do it..

Well, as much as I hate to dignify that with a response of any kind . . . :hmmm:

I had a colleague who had gone to great lengths to increase her soy intake on the basis of the plant-based estrogen theory espoused above. Whether it helps or not is case-by-case and there probably isn't/never will be enough evidence to confirm or refute. I *will* say that, once diagnosed with breast cancer, her oncologist immediately had her cease and desist all [known] soy consumption. Apparently no one is quite willing to say definitively that soy's estrogen is beneficial but neither are they willing to take the chance of it being harmful where it is contraindicated.

Bravo and good luck on your experiment. It's not for everyone but I always encourage people to try new things and shake things up from time to time.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Daniel,

I have a mind to hop a train to New York, track you down, and slap that soy stuff right out or your yap replacing it with a whole smoked pork shoulder.

For a time in my life I got much of my protein from soy and eschewed meat. I can't speak to any long lasting effects of this and will not allege any. But I will say this. I felt like crap most of the time.

I now eat meat. My arteries may be clogging as we speak, but I feel much better. I think soy is evil stuff.

There was a time I used soy flour in most of my baking. I regret doing so.

I am urging all residents of Manhattan to go buy a cheeseburger make Daniel eat it.

I really wish people would pay more attention to the negative sides of soy. It is not a miracle product for vegans. Several universities have produced studies on its impact with the health of women (young), increasing birth defect possibilities and breast cancer significantly if consumed regularly in the diet. It also has a hand in impaling the thyroid gland.

I have also heard recently about its estrogenical effects in men. I am a lttle surprised someone accused it for being the reason more men are becomming homosexual. I believe that is more of an acceptance and cultural thing in this day in age. Though I wont rule out that the soy is contributing. A lot of my friends who happen to be homosexual are very soy active, its somewhat annoying to.

What will it take to get everyone to understand that moderation and vareity is the only proper diet.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Apparently no one is quite willing to say definitively that soy's estrogen is beneficial but neither are they willing to take the chance of it being harmful where it is contraindicated.

Doa little research and you will find that there are whole organizations dedicated and WILLING to say soy is at fault.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Tofu Will Make You Gay! This just in: Soy will turn your kid into a fey girly man with a very small penis :shock:

San Francisco Gate

The author of this particular article, a guy who likes his meat organic but his facts as toxic and undercooked as a high school cheeseburger, Jim states, with absolute certainty, that soy products will make your kid gay. And why? Because soy contains "feminizing" estrogen compounds and hence when you feed soy products to your little girl she will menstruate by age 7 and if you feed it to your little boy his testicles might not fully develop until he enters college and if you feed soy milk to your baby (Heathen! Sinner!) your tot will, according to Jimbo, receive the equivalent of five birth control pills per day (italics his) and doing so could actually kill your baby, oh my God, who will save the children from the gay (plant) agenda! ...  It's funny because it's true. But wait. Do not fall into fits of ironic intellectual mirth just yet, because perhaps you should consider the ugly truth that, by logical extension, God hates vegans.
Perfect parody on soy ... oy! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The reason Daniel's question is so absurd and the article so abominably stupid is that there is no evidence whatsoever either that a) hormone levels have anything to do with sexual orientation or b) that sexual orientation is determined after birth. Whatever the effects of soy one one's hormones it will not change your sexual orientation.

NO hormone will. Affect your sex drive, chest hair, menstrual cycles -- yes, so hormones can definitely affect your sex life. But they won't have you demanding to be traded to the other team.

That being said, I'm going on a high-tofu diet before my trip to Mexico, so I don't have to get waxed for the beach. :wink:

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I really wish people would pay more attention to the negative sides of soy.  It is not a miracle product for vegans.  Several universities have produced studies on its impact with the health of women (young), increasing birth defect possibilities and breast cancer significantly if consumed regularly in the diet.  It also has a hand in impaling the thyroid gland.[...]

Impaling the thyroid gland! Sounds fatal!

Seriously, did these studies see if there is a higher incidence of birth defects and breast cancer in China? The post that started this thread is talking about feeding soy-based infant formula. [Edit: I was wrong, but it SHOULD have been talking about that. That'll teach me to read more carefully...] Infants should be fed mother's milk (if at all possible), not soy. I don't see where that has anything to do with adults having problems from eating tofu and soybean sprouts.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

I really wish people would pay more attention to the negative sides of soy.  It is not a miracle product for vegans.  Several universities have produced studies on its impact with the health of women (young), increasing birth defect possibilities and breast cancer significantly if consumed regularly in the diet.  It also has a hand in impaling the thyroid gland.[...]

Impaling the thyroid gland! Sounds fatal!

Seriously, did these studies see if there is a higher incidence of birth defects and breast cancer in China? The post that started this thread is talking about feeding soy-based infant formula. Infants should be fed mother's milk (if at all possible), not soy. I don't see where that has anything to do with adults having problems from eating tofu and soybean sprouts.

First of all, the whole myth about soy being asias treasure is a bogus lie. The wealthy in ancient and still current do not upholds diets built around soy. It was the poor people whole harvested this product in the need to stay alive. Soy is to the asian people as potatos are to the irish, or hardtack to sailors (rough comparison).

Secondly the point is to state that this is happening within young individuals, not elderly. And because it is the youth, that means if soy is introduced at a young age, thats obviously not a good idea.

I also brought it up because people need to be aware. And if people have concerns with soy, other concerns help justify current concerns.

Why does this need explaining? Not to sound mean, but I am asking because I dont think I understand what you want me to say, sorry I can be slow.

Dean Anthony Anderson

This is quite a good review article from a reputable journal:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlere...bmedid=16759972

The final sentence sums it up:

What most researchers do agree on is that we are only just beginning to truly understand the nature of soy, and that much more research is needed before it is possible to make firm health recommendations. “If you look at nutritional research in general,” Kaplan says, “there are kinds of proteins that are described as being ‘bioactive.’ Most people had assumed that if soy is bioactive, it’s because of the isoflavones. We’re no longer certain of that at all.”

[disclaimer: the Thomas Clarkson mentioned in the article is no relative]

The older I get (and the longer in the medical profession) the more I am convinced that, as Rebecca said, the only sensible approach is "moderation in all things".

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

We here! We eat tofu! Get used it!

Nope, doesn't rhyme ;)

That soy could impact sexual orientation is, obviously, ridiculous, but Anthony's right about the dangers of soy. People do need to be more aware of the potential negative health impact from consuming too much soy.

I don't see where that has anything to do with adults having problems from eating tofu and soybean sprouts.

From the research that I've done, it seems that the general consensus is that soy protein concentrate/isolate based products (shakes, veggie burgers, protein bars, infant formula etc.) are much more potentially harmful than less concentrated forms like tofu, tempeh, edamame and soy sauce.

The more concentrated forms are what people need to be more aware of. So watch those boca bars, power bars and smoothies. Especially if you're a man. Men definitely don't need to be consuming natural forms of estrogen, even weak ones.

Nope, doesn't rhyme ;)

That soy could impact sexual orientation is, obviously, ridiculous, but Anthony's right about the dangers of soy. People do need to be more aware of the potential negative health impact from consuming too much soy.

I don't see where that has anything to do with adults having problems from eating tofu and soybean sprouts.

From the research that I've done, it seems that the general consensus is that soy protein concentrate/isolate based products (shakes, veggie burgers, protein bars, infant formula etc.) are much more potentially harmful than less concentrated forms like tofu, tempeh, edamame and soy sauce.

The more concentrated forms are what people need to be more aware of. So watch those boca bars, power bars and smoothies. Especially if you're a man. Men definitely don't need to be consuming natural forms of estrogen, even weak ones.

Now, now, don't leave the other half of the population out. Millions of women are in the same boat I am, with family history documented that both indicates and contraindicates hormone replacement therapy. Osteperosis AND HRT related breast cancer, in my personal case - but there are others.

Never try to tell a woman that estrogen is no big deal.

You would do so at your own risk, and are catching me on a "good" day!

Edited by annecros (log)

First of all, the whole myth about soy being asias treasure is a bogus lie.  The wealthy in ancient and still current do not upholds diets built around soy.[...]

Soy is also used quite a bit in Japan, Korea, and Java, in various forms. But I don't think anyone is claiming that Chinese food is traditionally "built around" soy. Rather, rice is the staple, for the most part (flatbread is used a good deal in the north). But alarmism over soy just doesn't pass the smell test with me. My challenge to those who are alarmist about soy is: Point to evidence of a greater level of birth defects and breast cancer in China and Japan (or a decrease in fertility, good luck there!) as compared to low-soy-consuming nations, that can be clearly attributed to the consumption of soy, or hold your peace. No-one says you have to like or eat soy. I don't like briny fish eggs. But I don't tell people those are going to emasculate them or give them cancer.

Michael aka "Pan"

I really am thinking about this issue.. And I know a lot of people that give their children soy products..Whether or not anything has been proven, I would let the facts come out before I would ever give a child soy on a regular basis..

Nope, doesn't rhyme ;)

Now, now, don't leave the other half of the population out. Millions of women are in the same boat I am, with family history documented that both indicates and contraindicates hormone replacement therapy. Osteperosis AND HRT related breast cancer, in my personal case - but there are others.

Never try to tell a woman that estrogen is no big deal.

You would do so at your own risk, and are catching me on a "good" day!

Okay, you got me :smile:

Edited by scott123 (log)

First of all, the whole myth about soy being asias treasure is a bogus lie.  The wealthy in ancient and still current do not upholds diets built around soy.[...]

Soy is also used quite a bit in Japan, Korea, and Java, in various forms. But I don't think anyone is claiming that Chinese food is traditionally "built around" soy. Rather, rice is the staple, for the most part (flatbread is used a good deal in the north). But alarmism over soy just doesn't pass the smell test with me. My challenge to those who are alarmist about soy is: Point to evidence of a greater level of birth defects and breast cancer in China and Japan (or a decrease in fertility, good luck there!) as compared to low-soy-consuming nations, that can be clearly attributed to the consumption of soy, or hold your peace. No-one says you have to like or eat soy. I don't like briny fish eggs. But I don't tell people those are going to emasculate them or give them cancer.

What Pan said!

More thoughts:

1) China and Japan have very low birth rates these days, not

because they have been rendered infertile by soy, but because

social conditions lead people to choose not to have more kids.

2) There is very little evidence for health benefits or health

negative effects of soy. People who get alarmist, or are

over-strong proponents of soy, seem to have other agendas.

3) As with any other food, why not eat soy because it

tastes good, and not attribute all kinds of properties to it?

Edamame rocks! tofu is terrific - I mean, really, though

it's fashionable to have an anti-tofu knee jerk reaction

from the gizzards-and-lizards crowd, few of them seem

to have actually eaten the stuff well prepared.....

4) And if we are considering the pros and cons of

different foods for kids, I would rather (and have done so)

feed my kids soy not-dogs on occasion, rather

than the concoction of pickled pig rectums + wierd chemicals

that stuffs the average hot dog.....

Milagai