• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Dinner dessert.. What to make?

jsmeeker

I found out today that I am expected to make dessert for Christmas dinner. I make dessert for a lot of family meals, so doing it isn't a problem. But I'm having a tough time coming up with an idea that will work well.

There will be seven adults and two kids. Ideally, it should be something that doesn't require refrigeration (space is always at a premium) and can be made the night/day before, or partially made the night/day before, then finished early in the afternoon Christmas Day.

I need help!

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

You are not having plum pudding????

Any other steamed pud would work if you want a hot dessert - no need to refrigerate the pud over the course of the day, and just re-heat when you are ready. Sticky date pudding?.

A fabulous cake would work well. Chocolate mud cake? I often make a marzipan cake - it has Amaretto in the mixture, and adults can always add more to their serving; it mellows beautifully. If there is enough room in the freezer for ice-cream to go with the cake, so much the better.

Or something like baclava - nuts and honey are good at Christmas.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

I'm also bringing dessert for a Christmas dinner and it will most likely be pie (leaning towards cherry-raspberry) since I can make it the day before and doesn't need refrigeration for that time.

Also bringing Christmas sugar and gingerbread cookies (decorated) that are waiting patiently in the freezer.

Sticky Toffee Pudding which is actually cake and doesn't need refrigeration. Served with homemade caramel sauce which can also handle time outside of the fridge. And balanced out with either whipped cream or icecream. It's best with the caramel sauce warmed up so it melts the icecream a bit.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I'm going with a sticky toffee pudding. I'll serve it with a créme anglaise. Just made the sauce and I'll make the pudding either tonight or tomorrow morning.

I'm not going to do individual ones, rather a single large one on a 8" baking dish. I can cut/scoop out potions when I serve it. How should I re-hear the pudding before serving?

the sticky toffee pudding was a big hit.

Reminded people somewhat of plum pudding without being so dense and heavy.

Most years, mom owuld buy some commerically prepared plum pudding and preapre it (just steam it, really) as part of dessert since my Dad was always liked to have it.

Thanks for the tip! It was a winner.

Edited by jsmeeker (log)