• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making pasta at home

Juanito

Yesterday I made a batch of pasta. Two batches, really. Using Hazan's recipe of approximately 1 cup of flour to two large eggs, I made two cups worth, with four eggs.

This I divided in half, then divided each half in thirds, and ran through the pasta machine to make my sheets. So far, so good. I then further processed the sheets into fettucine. This is where I need some help. The handling of the noodles was a problem for me. As they came out of the machine, I wrapped each bunch around my hand into a nest, and placed on towels to dry.

When it came time to cook them (about 6 hours later) some of the nests didn't untangle in the water - so nesting is probably not the way to go for me.

This was a dry run for an upcoming white truffle dinner, for which I have been elected to provide the fresh fettucine for six diners, so I can't afford to foul up the next run.

Anyone have a suggestion? Should I just hang the individual strands over a clothesline like contraption? Or what?

If you are going to use them within the day you should be able to avoid hanging. I now I do. :cool:

Two thought come to mind. Did you let the sheets dry a bit before cutting into fettucine? Also, You need to toss the noodles with lots of flour, and fluff them up to keep them apart when you create the nests. Just be sure to shake away the excess flour before boiling them.

Yesterday I made a batch of pasta. Two batches, really. Using Hazan's recipe of approximately 1 cup of flour to two large eggs, I made two cups worth, with four eggs.

This I divided in half, then divided each half in thirds, and ran through the pasta machine to make my sheets. So far, so good. I then further processed the sheets into fettucine. This is where I need some help. The handling of the noodles was a problem for me. As they came out of the machine, I wrapped each bunch around my hand into a nest, and placed on towels to dry.

When it came time to cook them (about 6 hours later) some of the nests didn't untangle in the water - so nesting is probably not the way to go for me.

This was a dry run for an upcoming white truffle dinner, for which I have been elected to provide the fresh fettucine for six diners, so I can't afford to foul up the next run.

Anyone have a suggestion? Should I just hang the individual strands over a clothesline like contraption? Or what?

I use a ton of cornmeal to sprinkle over the pasta after i cut it into fettucine.

If you have enough room, it's best if you hang them until dry. In any case, I sprinkle them with some semolina flour. I don't like to use regular flour after the pasta is made... it dries the dough, and you get starchier pasta when cooking it. That means heavier... lighter is better.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

If you have enough room, it's best if you hang them until dry. In any case, I sprinkle them with some semolina flour. I don't like to use regular flour after the pasta is made... it dries the dough, and you get starchier pasta when cooking it. That means heavier... lighter is better.

Good point, godito. To clarify my earlier post, I too toss with fine semolina flour, not regular flour.

When I prep my pasta I sprinkle them with flour and then cover them with plastic wrap in a sheet pan. At my altitude the pasta will dry out in just a few minutes so a towel or flour alone won't work. This way I get layers of pasta to work from when I am ready for it.

Rockin the world since last week and partying like it's Tuesday night.

28 yolks, 2 whole eggs, 1 kilo + 500g AP flour, 1/3 cup milk, 2 tbsp EVO, pinch of salt.

Thats our standard recipe. Granted, that makes ALOT of dough, but break it down and youve got some great pasta!

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

28 yolks, 2 whole eggs, 1 kilo + 500g AP flour, 1/3 cup milk, 2 tbsp EVO, pinch of salt.

Thats our standard recipe. Granted, that makes ALOT of dough, but break it down and youve got some great pasta!

-Chef Johnny

I've never seen milk in a pasta dough recipe before. What does it do?

PS: I am a guy.

-Chef Johnny

I've never seen milk in a pasta dough recipe before. What does it do?

To be completely honest.... I have no idea? :: scratches head :: Its just the way its always been done. hmmm....

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA