• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Supreme eG Pastry and Baking Challenge (Round 10)

dejaq

Kerry that is absolutely stunning. The painted pear is a masterpiece. Congratulations not only on thinking up this challenge topic but on showing you can dish it out as well as anyone. :laugh:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Kerry, that looks brilliant. I have no idea what that particular type of tea is like, but it all sounds so good.

A quick question - did the pear infused cream taste of pear at all? or did you make up for this by adding the poire Williams?

Great job

It did have a definate pear flavour, but lacked complexity. The Poire William helped round it out, but it still wasn't a very exciting center. Needs work for sure.

Little crisis this morning guys, I can't seem to get in touch with folks for the challenge. Is there anyone out there who would like to give it a go this week?

I'll be kind!!!

Absolutely beautiful Kerry!

I love the concept of the poached sous vide pear and the crock pot. That is intriguing and leads to all other sorts of idea. Thanks!

Regarding the pear cream, what about doing the freeze it/thaw it/use the juice method? Puree the raw pear, freeze it, thaw it over a strainer and use the resulting pear juice? It concentrates the flavors very nicely. I'm wondering if the heat, albeit low heat, used on the pear, mellowed the flavor too much? Just a thought. I'm absolutely certain that you desert tasted as beautiful as it looked! :wub:

Absolutely beautiful Kerry!

I love the concept of the poached sous vide pear and the crock pot. That is intriguing and leads to all other sorts of idea. Thanks!

Regarding the pear cream, what about doing the freeze it/thaw it/use the juice method? Puree the raw pear, freeze it, thaw it over a strainer and use the resulting pear juice? It concentrates the flavors very nicely. I'm wondering if the heat, albeit low heat, used on the pear, mellowed the flavor too much?  Just a thought. I'm absolutely certain that you desert tasted as beautiful as it looked!  :wub:

That sounds like a really neat idea. Kind of like ice wine. I'll keep that in mind.

So beatiful. That poached pear is absolutely lovely. It looks almost as if it belongs in a fruit bowl.

The mousse w candy 'pear' is also begging for a spoon!

Tea jelly intrigues.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Everyone can breath a sigh of relief. I have a new contestant for the challenge. Since we are quite a bit behind this week, I think we will delay and I will issue the challenge on the weekend to end the next Sunday.

We are going overseas again for our next contestant. Maybe we should start a guessing game like the blog thing where I give a little hint and you see if you can guess the next individual.

Kerry,

Very beautiful presentation! I love pears... and I can just taste this. Yum. Your chocolate pear is beautiful also, nice colour.

I think the next person is going to be miladyinsanity :biggrin:

Um... did you say something about a sous vide demo? :raz:

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

Kerry,

Very beautiful presentation! I love pears... and I can just taste this. Yum. Your chocolate pear is beautiful also, nice colour.

I think the next person is going to be miladyinsanity  :biggrin: 

Um... did you say something about a sous vide demo?  :raz:

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it's not me. :raz:

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog