• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cranberry Truffles for Christmas

Aria

Hey all,

I'm working on a recipe for Cranberry truffles to add to my holiday selection. Here's the basic:

9 oz white choc.

1/2 cup cranberry sauce ( good qual. )

1 tsp vodka

2 tbsp less 1tsp butter

1 tsp butter

The taste was divine but the ganache turned out soft and seeped out of the dark choc. coating...I had to recoat ( hate that )

Another problem was that the ganache was a pretty pink, looked like Strawberry ganache, very 'spring like'. Last year I simply folded dried cranberries into my white choc. ganache but the taste wasn't nearly as good as the above.

Any thoughts, ideas, comments on how to improve on the Cranberry truffle? Anyone have any success with Cranberry truffles? Thanks!

The ratio of white chocolate to is too high. I have found that approximately 4 to 1 white chocolate to liquid works wells. By cutting down on cranberry sauce and again adding dried cranberries might improve taste.

I do not know if there is a cranberry liquor, but if there is that would also help the taste if used instead for vodka (or maybe kirshwasser or chambord would be good). Maybe a tablespoon or 2.

You could also try putting a very thin coat on before dipping. Put some chocolate in your hands & roll truffles to get a thin coat. This will be help with the tendency to seep. You get a little thicker coat but not as thick as double coating.

I also believe that using cranberry sauce will always give that pinkish look.

Found this recipe:

9.5 oz white chocolate

6 tbps heavy cream

1.5 tbsp whole berry cranberry sauce

3 tbsp sweetened dried cranberries

Haven't tried it, but everything I have made from this book has been soft & I have had to readjust ingrediants.

Let us know what works for you.

Edited by mrose (log)

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

The ratio of white chocolate to is too high. I have found that approximately 4 to 1 white chocolate to liquid works wells. By cutting down on cranberry sauce and again adding dried cranberries might improve taste.

I do not know if there is a cranberry liquor, but if there is that would also help the taste if used instead for vodka (or maybe kirshwasser or chambord would be good). Maybe a tablespoon or 2.

You could also try putting a very thin coat on before dipping. Put some chocolate in your hands & roll truffles to get a thin coat. This will be help with the tendency to seep. You get a little thicker coat but not as thick as double coating.

I also believe that using cranberry sauce will always give that pinkish look.

Found this recipe:

9.5 oz white chocolate

6 tbps heavy cream

1.5 tbsp whole berry cranberry sauce

3 tbsp sweetened dried cranberries

Haven't tried it, but everything I have made from this book has been soft & I have had to readjust ingrediants.

Let use know what works for you.

There was a cranberry liquer called Boggs. I don't know if it's still made or not. I'd like Grand Marnier and some shreds of orange zest, myself. Maybe if you cut down on the butter you'd get a firmer ganash (sp)? HTH

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Thanks so much for the posts!! I will try the recipe Mrose, thanks!! I was very disappointed last year with the commercial sweetened dried cranberries and so I used the cranberry sauce this year. Any idea what commercial brand of dried cranberries is good?

Thanks too Kmemphis, I will cook down the sauce next time.

Finally, I just added a few shreds of lemon and the ganache, though soft, is divine!!

Hey we could come up with the perfect cranberry truffle recipe here!

I can sometimes find frozen cranberry juice concentrate in my grocery store, perhaps that would be a good thing to add? It's not easy to find, but it's there. I use it for a cranberry-orange cheesecake. You could use a tablespoon of that (thawed) in place of reduced cranberry juice......