• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas and Hanukkah in Haifa, Israel

shain

Haifa is the largest city in Northern Israel and is home to people of multiple religions and ethnicities, at this time of year, Christmas and Hanukkah are in proximity and Haifa is one of the few cities which mark the occasion with Christmas decorations and markets. Muslim holidays, having shifting Gregorian dates, also occur at this month on some years, and it is termed "the holiday of holidays" (well, at least by marketing people 😅).

Many snacks on sale - chestnuts and mulled wine, sure; but also knafeh; Saj flat breads (aka Druze pita) with labneh, or seemingly more popular, chocolate spread; warm ful (fava beans), lupin beans (turmus) and corn; a walking vendor selling plum juice, also french crepes, popcorn, hotdogs and very full resturants and cafes.

PXL_20221224_201809267.thumb.jpg.92f8eff018a1cfc0f59c547d514414ca.jpg

Note the Bahai gardens up the mountain. 

PXL_20221224_203051725.thumb.jpg.7ef2c6fb26651d5273dd8d48121315d0.jpg

Knafeh was selling fast! 

PXL_20221224_203902520.thumb.jpg.0cb15a8c2652dbb7f911f8b3e139d4a1.jpg

Ful and lupins can be topped with cumin, spicy pepper, parsley and garlic-lemon juicy.

PXL_20221224_203950873.thumb.jpg.fcdf5d56875a7c357342adf0330ae2b7.jpg

PXL_20221224_204801058.thumb.jpg.f948f48357b3a20ae0bd0ca4e5697bff.jpg

PXL_20221224_205308692.thumb.jpg.78f426e45f14b6aa21e28a30b5cd7f6d.jpg

PXL_20221224_205355715.MP_3.thumb.jpg.a12765e4889bb64b1d7f9232e1180a32.jpg

PXL_20221224_204524333.jpg

I don't enjoy talking politics, but the political state in Israel this last month is quite worrying (more than usual, and that says much). I take this holiday scene as a reminder that we can set aside our differences and coexist in harmony. Diversity enriches our lives and should be celebrated. Happy Christmas, happy holidays :)

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 8

~ Shai N.

@shain

thank you so much. I love the guy serving the juice with his plastic cup “bandolier”. Peace and joy to all. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@shain

thank you so much. I love the guy serving the juice with his plastic cup “bandolier”. Peace and joy to all. 

I thought the same thing!

Thank you @shain.  Everything looks beautiful.  I hope that peace can remain!

• Like 4

Wonderful and I share your sentiments. Envious of all the treats on offer of course. I think of chesnuts as a cold weather crop. - where from? In my part of sunny Southern California I only see roasted ones for sale outside Korean markets - they use hot stones in a wide pan.  Looking forward to more!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, heidih said:

Wonderful and I share your sentiments. Envious of all the treats on offer of course. I think of chesnuts as a cold weather crop. - where from? In my part of sunny Southern California I only see roasted ones for sale outside Korean markets - they use hot stones in a wide pan.  Looking forward to more!

They are imported, perhaps from Turkey or Eastern Europe. Not very common here either, I've only ever seen them on sale in Christmas markets.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

15 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Reminds me of a past trip to Israel around this time of year. I was amazed to find Christmas decorations in a Tel Aviv (or was it Jaffa?) mall , as much as Hahnuka stuff almost 

Jaffa is also lovely this time of year, decorations in Tel Aviv itself are sparse. 

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

Oh, how lovely! Thank you for a fun, inspiring and hopeful post.

This food text caught my eye:

7 hours ago, shain said:

Ful and lupins can be topped with cumin, spicy pepper, parsley and garlic-lemon juicy.

Ful I know (in fact, I have a couple of cans in my pantry) but to me lupins are a flower...a lovely but aggressive plant, with wildly dispersing seeds once their pods start to pop. I don't know it as a food source for humans. Are we talking about the same thing? If so, what part of the plant?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

Oh, how lovely! Thank you for a fun, inspiring and hopeful post.

This food text caught my eye:

Ful I know (in fact, I have a couple of cans in my pantry) but to me lupins are a flower...a lovely but aggressive plant, with wildly dispersing seeds once their pods start to pop. I don't know it as a food source for humans. Are we talking about the same thing? If so, what part of the plant?

Yes, those are seeds of some lupin flower variety, which is a legume. It has to be soaked and boiled to remove its toxicity. The texture is somewhat firm and snappy, a bit like edamame but firmer and a tad starchy. It can be bought in canned form, but I've never seen it sold raw. 

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.