• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Dear Everybody,

Just wondering if you have any good ideas on how to use up misc. cake crumbs and also crumbs made from baked crushed biscotti cookies?

I already make rum balls with the cake crumbs and use biscotti crumbs for cheesecake bottoms instead of graham crumbs.

Do you think cake crumbs could be recycled back into a cake instead of some of the flour for example?

Thank you!

Sean

Punschtorte (which I've never made) uses cake scraps as one of the ingredients.

Here is a link for one example click and scroll down.

As I'm not a fan of rum, I've never had the occasion to make one. But, if you like rum balls, this may be an alternative.

If you want something that your customers won't see everywhere else, try using the crumbs to make Bakewell Tarts. They are from Bakewell, Derby England. There are many variations, both with and without cake crumbs. Here are some links to recipes on the internet, which use crumbs.

I have served Bakewells as part of a dessert table at several dinner parties and they are always a big hit.

http://www.cookitsimply.com/dessert/puddin...0010-050m4.html

http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/h-pages/britain/bakewell.html

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/13130/...ll-pudding.html

It is a pastry layer spread with jam with a frangipane-type top layer. Really quite delicious. Be sure to use butter for the best flavor.

Eileen

Sean,

I made "bread pudding" of a sort with my last pile of leftover cake scraps. Not exactly a recipe, but look here.

Pille   
Just wondering if you have any good ideas on how to use up misc. cake crumbs and also crumbs made from baked crushed biscotti cookies?

Do you think cake crumbs could be recycled back into a cake instead of some of the flour for example?

The Finns make Runeberg's cupcakes, which use cookie and cake crumbs in the batter. Found an English recipe here:Recipe for Runebergin tortut

I would use the cake crumbs for finishing the sides of chocolate cakes..especially if I couldn't get the sides smooth. It looks nice on a glazed cake as well.

Rehovot   

They're also good if you whiz them finely in a processor/grinder and then sprinke on top of cheesecake.

No suggestion on the cookie crumbs, but I've taken cake scraps and placed them between layers of flavored whipped cream in glasses. It turns out much like a tiramisu if you're using a very light cake. (EDITED TO ADD) I suppose this isn't helpful for a pro application like yours (doh).

Edited by sanrensho (log)

i save all of my scraps - toast them, sieve them down to fine crumbs, and then store in the freezer. they're useful in all kinds of ways - decorate sides of cakes or tops of cupcakes; mix with butter for cheesecake crust; sprinkle on tart or pie shells before adding filling, to soak up some of the excess moisture - can also use them in strudels this way; mix w/butter and bake on a sheet pan until crisp, then break up & use as crunchy bits in mousses or ice creams. when i find myself with just waaaay too many crumbs in the freezer, i make a batch of hermits from an old recipe i have - don't have that handy at the moment, but if you like, i can look it up & post it.

and of course, i use the most delectable cake scraps as Decoy Dessert - keeps the line cooks & wait staff from nibbling on my finished desserts :laugh:

• Like 1

A bakery I worked at used cake scraps in their streusel.

There is a book published on this topic, I saw it at that bakery. But I don't know who published it or when. You could probably find it with a search.

I use cake crumbs in my studel or in sweet items that call for bread crumbs. (oops I see that was already mentioned)

But if your a busy bakery theres just no way to really keep using up all your scrapes......... Maybe it's better to focus on making less waste. Baking more level cakes.

I'm here to show my ignorance... But, I'm new at this professional stuff, and here is where I go to learn, and learn I need to do!

I'm looking for saleable ways of using cake scraps for my bakery.

Now, I've heard of cake balls, but have never made one and would love to have some recipes for them.

I currently dry some scraps for crumbs for trim and garnish, but other than that, I'm throwing money in the trash.

Thoughts, ideas, recipes -- for cake balls or any other things you do.

Thanks eG'ers!

In addition to using the ground, dried scraps for garnish, use them for the basis of your cheesecake crusts instead of crumbled oreos - or at least it will stretch them.

The caterer I share with will sometimes use my scraps to make trifles; you could do the same with yours and sell individual cups of trifle (use a plastic cup with a lid for portability in individual servings). Or some sort of a riff on tiramisu using the cake layers instead of biscuit.

If you make tarts, maybe you can get a thin sheet of cake to use as a layer between pastry cream and a fruit topping (RLB uses this technique in her Pie and Pastry book).

I don't have the book at home, but Bo Friberg's book has a recipe for Rum Balls, which is a use for scraps.

And when I really have a busy week, sometimes we make hotel pans of trifle and bring them to the local homeless shelter or day care center.

How about making " bread crumbs" out of them and adding sweet spices and dipping fruit in egg and "breading" it and deep frying it and serving it with ice cream...

Thanks JeanneCake -- I have Bo's book and will look that up! Cheesecake crusts I do already (didn't mention that one). Portable trifles also sound good.

Thanks GlorifiedRice, that also sounds good, but read on in the next paragraph...

For others with ideas, I should add that this is a bakery setting, where I need to be able to put the items in either a cold or dry case. So things like the deep fried fruit with ice cream won't work for my particular situation.

bear claw filling or danish filling...you can add the cake scraps to almond paste and some pastry cream and make the filling. also in bo's book.

David802   

At work, we have a "sample table" and just put them on there, it sells alot of cake...when we started doing it....are Cakes sales nearly trippled....thats just my thoughts....I guess its still throughing money in the trash, but differently..And in a way that may make some money back.

emsny   

When I was a kid, New York bakeries (especially Jewish ones, I think) commonly sold something called nut cake. It used lots of cake crumbs to form the layers, along with some sort of batter to hold them together as well as ground nuts - maybe nut paste as well. Between the layers was jam. I don't have a recipe, but I'm sure Googling would get you one in short order. A delicious thing. I ran across some about ten years ago and still loved it, so my impression of its deliciousness is not just nostalgia.

Chihiran   

SweetSide, a lot of the Hungarian/Austrian cake recipes in the book Kaffeehaus use cake crumbs in the actual batter, or to line the cake pans instead of flour. I've never tried it, because I never have cake crumbs, but it might be convenient for you.

shaloop   
SweetSide, a lot of the Hungarian/Austrian cake recipes in the book Kaffeehaus use cake crumbs in the actual batter, or to line the cake pans instead of flour. I've never tried it, because I never have cake crumbs, but it might be convenient for you.

Similarly, Maida Heatter suggests using crumbs to prepare a cake pan after greasing instead of flour. Also, I've seen recipes for cake crumb cookies.

Here are some recipes. cake crumb recipes

When I was a kid, New York bakeries (especially Jewish ones, I think) commonly sold something called nut cake. It used lots of cake crumbs to form the layers, along with some sort of batter to hold them together as well as ground nuts - maybe nut paste as well. Between the layers was jam. I don't have a recipe, but I'm sure Googling would get you one in short order. A delicious thing. I ran across some about ten years ago and still loved it, so my impression of its deliciousness is not just nostalgia.

I'll have to look this one up for sure -- I remember coming across something like this a while ago, but I was not in the "cake crumb business" then. Thanks!

At work, we have a "sample table" and just put them on there, it sells alot of cake...when we started doing it....are Cakes sales nearly trippled....thats just my thoughts....I guess its still throughing money in the trash, but differently..And in a way that may make some money back.

This we do, when the cake is of a manageable size to sample, and yes, the money does come back for sure. Thanks!

At Mom's bakery, they would put all cake trimmings into a bucket, pour rum or other such liquid flavoring on top of it all to make it damp enough to hold together into a ball when rolled. Then the balls get dipped in chocolate and sometimes rolled in nuts.

Kind of like hush puppies ... toss them into people's mouths to hush them up. Us kids got them when we visited. :)

They would often vary in flavor- raspberry's sometimes used as the liquid, coffee, etc.

Kayakado   

this website has recipes for cake balls, one of my cookbooks calls them cake truffles.

www.cakecentral.com

• Similar Content

• By Kasia
      Plum tart with almonds

Starting from the first half of August, in the shops and on stands appear the first domestic plums. In September there are so many of them that I have a problem deciding which kind I should choose. Small and big, round and more ovate, violet, red and yellow. You can eat them fresh or make a lot of preserves (jams, plum stew, stewed fruits, pickles, liqueurs, plum brandy). Our favorite are big and round greengage plums, or slightly firm violet plums.

Plums have a lot of valuable attributes. They regulate digestion and protect us from free radicals. Dried plums are more valuable regarding vitamin and fiber content, but they have five times more calories than fresh fruits.

Plums have quite a lot B vitamins, so for a long time they have been well regarded for having a soothing effect on the nervous system and improving our frame of mind. That's why you simply have to make a plum cake. Either now or when the dreary autumn days arrive. Their benign impact on the nerves could be a good excuse for putting another piece of cake on your plate.

I don't like complicated cookery. In this recipe you will find a lot of ingredients, but even so, preparing this delicious cake is very simple.

Ingredients:
      Dough:
      250g of flour
      half a teaspoon of baking powder
      8g of vanilla sugar
      3 tablespoons of sugar
      150ml of 18% cream
      150g of butter
      Filling:
      600g of plums
      1 egg white
      3 tablespoons of minced almonds
      2 tablespoons of brown sugar
      200g of plum stew
      1 teaspoon of cinnamon
      Crumble topping:
      50g of butter
      3-4 tablespoons of flour
      3 tablespoons of brown sugar
      8g of vanilla sugar
      1 egg yolk
      Mix together the dry ingredients for the dough: flour, baking powder, sugar and vanilla sugar. Add cream. Mince the butter and add it to the dry ingredients. Quickly knead into smooth dough. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for half an hour.

Heat the oven up to 200C. Cover a baking pan (e.g. for a tart) with the dough, leaving the edges slightly raised around the sides. Whisk the egg white and cover the dough with it. Sprinkle with the almonds and brown sugar. Bake for 14 minutes. Take it out of the oven. Don't turn off the oven.

Make the crumble topping when the dough is in the oven. Melt the butter, cool it a bit then add the flour, sugar, vanilla sugar and egg yolk. Mix it with a fork until you have lumps.

Clean the plums, cut them into halves and remove the stones. Cover the baked base with plum stew, add the plums and sprinkle with cinnamon and the crumble topping. Bake for 20 minutes.

• By Kasia
      Pineapple and coconut – the ideal couple

Today, inspired by the recipes from the book "Zielone koktajle. 365 przepisów" ("Green cocktails. 365 recipes") I prepared a light coconut-pineapple dessert. You may make it without sugar if you have enough sweet fruit. If your pineapple isn't very ripe, add a bit of honey to your dessert.

Ingredients (for 4 people)
      fruit mousse
      1 pineapple
      300ml of coconut milk
      1 banana
      150ml of orange juice
      2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut
      decoration
      50g of butter
      1 tablespoon of caster sugar
      4 tablespoons of desiccated coconut
      4 slices of orange
      fruit

Blend all the ingredients of the fruit mousse. Put it into some glasses and leave in the fridge. Put the desiccated coconut, sugar and butter into a pan. Fry constantly, stirring on a low heat until the butter is melted. Leave to cool down a bit. Put 2-3 tablespoons of it on top of the desserts. Decorate with a slice of orange, fruit and some peppermint leaves before serving.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      Smile of the summer – apricot-peach shortcake

Fortunately, the summer is not only about the weather. There is also fresh, sweet-smelling fruit. Today I would like to share with you the recipe for an easy to make weekend cake. It is excellent for afternoon tea or coffee. A little work and a little baking and after that you may serve and eat, and serve and eat again and again ... I remind you that it should be a weekend cake, so if you eat everything at once, you will need to bake another one 

Ingredients:
      dough
      200g of flour
      150g of butter
      75g of sugar
      1 egg
      1 egg yolk
      1 teaspoon of baking powder

fruit:
      1kg of apricot
      4 peaches
      2 packets of powdered vanilla blancmange
      4 tablespoons of brown sugar

Put the flour, sugar, baking powder and butter onto a baking board. Chop it all up with a knife. When you have the consistency of crumble topping, add the egg and egg yolk and then knead the dough quickly. Divide the dough into two parts – 2/3 and 1/3. Cover the pieces of dough with plastic wrap and put them into the freezer.
      Wash the apricots, remove the stones and cube them. Put them into a saucepan, add a bit of water and boil until they are soft. Stir the blancmange powder in 150ml of cold water and add it to the apricots. Boil for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Turn off the heat. Wash the peaches, remove the stones and cube them. Add them to the apricots and mix them in.
      Heat the oven up to 180C.
      Smooth a 23-cm cake tin with some butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Grate the bigger part of the dough onto the cake tin, even it out and bake for 15-17 minutes. Take out the cake, but don't turn off the oven. Put the fruit mixture onto it and grate the rest of the dough onto the top. Bake for 50 minutes. Sprinkle with caster sugar before serving.

Enjoy your meal!

• By pastrygirl
      I'm watching The Sweet Makers on BBC - four British pastry chefs & confectioners recreate Tudor, Georgian, and Victorian sweets with petiod ingredients and equipment. A little British Baking Show, a little Downtown Abbey. 

Check it it out for a slice of pastry history. 

BBC viewer only available to the U.K., but on this side of the pond where there's a will, there's a way. 
    • By Kasia
      White chocolate whip with aquafaba with crumble topping and fruit.

Today I would like to share with you a dessert fit for a king. It needs a bit of work, but it is easy, and so tasty that you won't regret the time you spent on it. I have already made chocolate whip with aquafaba. Today I added a bit of whisked sweet cream, due to which it is more creamy but it isn't suitable for vegetarians.

You may use any fruit. In my opinion, bilberries, blueberries or raspberries are best. Cherries would also be excellent, but you may use your favourite fruit.

Ingredients:
      crumble topping:
      50g of butter
      50g of flour
      50g of sugar
      1 tablespoon of sesame seeds

whip:
      200ml of aquafaba (from one tin of chickpeas)
      150g of white chocolate
      150ml of 30% sweet cream
      30g of caster sugar
      other ingredients
      fruit
      caster sugar

Heat the oven up to 180C. Cover a baking sheet with baking paper.
      Make the crumble topping. Make a smooth dough with the ingredients. Make a ball with it, roll it out flat and put it on the baking paper. Bake for 10-15 minutes until it is golden. Cool it down and crumble it.
      Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie and leave it to cool down a little. Whip the aquafaba and sweet cream with caster sugar in a separate bowl. Mix them together. Add the white chocolate and stir thoroughly but gently. Put the chocolate whip into some small bowls and leave in the fridge for 2 hours.
      Put the crumble topping onto the chocolate whip. Decorate with the fruit and peppermint leaves.

Enjoy your meal!