• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

^The Dagoba 74% with chilli and cocoa nibs is actually my favourite in the line. Yes, it's organic. The blueberry and lavender one, which I had this week, was interesting, but I really love the chilli and cocoa nib one the best. :smile:

I must do the cocoa nib and caramel version next week! Mmmm sounds delicious! Thanks!

we use Bensdorp Cocoa (from Barry Callebaut) to make our chocolate syrup (for hot chocolate and caffe mocha). i believe the 'Cacao Barry' is the finest quality in the Callebaut product line.

stop by and pick some up if you'd like to sample.

Alistair Durie

Elysian Coffee

^I was under the impression that Callebaut is a Belgium chocolate, Bensdorp is from Holland, and Cacao Berry is from France. I'm so confused! :wacko: Thanks so much for the offer...I'll stop by tonight and trade you some brownies for cocoa, but I'm afraid they're made from a bastardized mix of Baker's unsweetened, Valrhona 64%, 2 tbsp. of Fry's cocoa, and SB cocoa nibs! :blush:

Edited by Ling (log)

^I was under the impression that Callebaut is a Belgium chocolate, ... and Cacao Berry is from France. 

You are right Ling in terms of where they come from, but Callebaut and Cacoa Berry are now owned by the same company Barry Callebaut.

BTW next time we are at an event together I can hook you up with some Cacao Berry extra brute, just let me know how much you would like.

Edited by lemon curd (log)

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

^Thank-you! That's so kind of you. I'll have to do a bake-off between all these types of cocoa and do a blind taste test too. :smile:

I see...no wonder I've been seeing "Barry Callebaut" instead of "Bernard Callebaut"!

I always thought that Benard Callebaut (from the orignal family) was based out of Calgary and is a separate entity from Barry Callebaut (now part of Philip Morris I think).

Ack - such confusion. Well - whatever tastes good.

I always thought that Benard Callebaut (from the orignal family) was based out of Calgary and is a separate entity from Barry Callebaut .

Ack - such confusion.  Well - whatever tastes good.

You are right - they are two separate things. Here's the website for Barry Callebaut and the website for Bernard Callebaut.

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

[host]

Just a reminder from your friendly-neighbourhood host that the discussion here needs to be about where to procure chocolate regionally and not about chocolate generally.

There are numerous chocolate discussions over in Pastry & Baking as well as Cooking.

Off to buy me a Snickers!

Thanks

[/host]

^Thank-you! That's so kind of you. I'll have to do a bake-off between all these types of cocoa and do a blind taste test too. :smile:

I see...no wonder I've been seeing "Barry Callebaut" instead of "Bernard Callebaut"!

I always thought that Benard Callebaut (from the orignal family) was based out of Calgary and is a separate entity from Barry Callebaut (now part of Philip Morris I think).

That's what I thought a few years ago, but then I didn't think that another company could legally use the Callebaut name. I've never bought anything from Bernard Callebaut--only seen the stores and assumed they were selling (Belgium) Callebaut chocolate. :wacko:

So...I guess to get this back on topic, has anyone used the Bernard Callebaut cocoa? I think there was a retail location at Blundell Center in Richmond...

That's what I thought a few years ago, but then I didn't think that another company could legally use the Callebaut name. I've never bought anything from Bernard Callebaut--only seen the stores and assumed they were selling (Belgium) Callebaut chocolate. :wacko:

So...I guess to get this back on topic, has anyone used the Bernard Callebaut cocoa? I think there was a retail location at Blundell Center in Richmond...

Bernard Callebaut is entitled to use the name as it's his own, he's a member of the Belgian Callebaut family who relocated to Canada. I can't really tell from the websites which is the stuff we tend to see at stores around here; perhaps it is the Canadian one. Nonetheless, he's making it using the traditional methods and same quality requirements for beans as the Belgian company, so it's still good chocolate.

I'm going shopping now, Lorna, I'll let you know if I come across any ineresting cocoa!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I went to Meinhardt today and the Michel Cluizel chocolate isn't in yet.

(On a side note, they are now selling their SB 99% for $25 bucks for a 9.7 oz. bar!  :sad: The semi-sweet and bittersweet at $17 are still a buck cheaper per bar than Urban Fare. And you can find SB cocoa nibs for $18 a box at Meinhardt now. I just made a batch of brownies and sprinkled them with the nibs.)

hmm, that's too bad. i think the rep also mentioned haute chocolate in west van as well. did i also mention urban fare might be carrying it?

btw, i checked out your brownie recipe....eek! going to have to try that out very soon....maybe tomorrow! :biggrin:

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina

I went to Meinhardt today and the Michel Cluizel chocolate isn't in yet.

(On a side note, they are now selling their SB 99% for $25 bucks for a 9.7 oz. bar!  :sad: The semi-sweet and bittersweet at $17 are still a buck cheaper per bar than Urban Fare. And you can find SB cocoa nibs for $18 a box at Meinhardt now. I just made a batch of brownies and sprinkled them with the nibs.)

hmm, that's too bad. i think the rep also mentioned haute chocolate in west van as well. did i also mention urban fare might be carrying it?

btw, i checked out your brownie recipe....eek! going to have to try that out very soon....maybe tomorrow! :biggrin:

I can attest that the brownies were QUITE good. Fudgy like I like em.

As for cocoa in Vancouver.....Have you tried Chocolate Arts? I am sure that Greg could answer your questions with regards to the Callebaut dilemma. He used to use Callebaut and Valrhona when I was there.

Gourmet Warehouse? Has anybody tried them?

I've decided that I like the flavour of Cluizel, but not the performance. I'm still a Valrhona Guanaja girl....and Tana Riva.

What about Fabulous Foods? Try Them?

hmm, that's too bad.  i think the rep also mentioned haute chocolate in west van as well.  did i also mention urban fare might be carrying it?

I've read about Haute Chocolate--it just recently opened, didn't it? I might try if I'm feeling ambitious, but my driving skills and sense of direction are laughable. I did go to Urban Fare last week to look for the Michel Cluizel chocolate; it's not to be found yet.

Irishgirl: Thanks, I've been meaning to get to Chocolate Arts...I haven't treated myself to their chocolate in a long time! :smile: I'll have to look up Fabulous Foods.

(And I've since acquired some Bensdorp...thanks to Alistair. I think I'll do a bake-off and a blind-tasting sometime in the next two weeks to compare the cocoas.)

Edited by Ling (log)

hmm, that's too bad.  i think the rep also mentioned haute chocolate in west van as well.  did i also mention urban fare might be carrying it?

I've read about Haute Chocolate--it just recently opened, didn't it? I might try if I'm feeling ambitious, but my driving skills and sense of direction are laughable. I did go to Urban Fare last week to look for the Michel Cluizel chocolate; it's not to be found yet.

Irishgirl: Thanks, I've been meaning to get to Chocolate Arts...I haven't treated myself to their chocolate in a long time! :smile: I'll have to look up Fabulous Foods.

(And I've since acquired some Bensdorp...thanks to Alistair. I think I'll do a bake-off and a blind-tasting sometime in the next two weeks to compare the cocoas.)

lol, it's easy to find. haute chocolate is on marine drive in dundarave village. trust me, you won't get lost!

good point, irish girl. i have to go to gourmet warehouse today so i'll check if what they have.

ling, if you need any volunteers for that blind test, i'm sure i can find some time for that. i also have a scarf to tie around my head to ensure i can't see anything! :biggrin:

Quentina

^Thanks! I will let you know if I do a blind-tasting. I don't know how I'm going to do it yet...do you think just a simple chocolate cookie recipe would give the best indication as to the flavour of the cocoa?

I went to Chocolate Arts today. They only have the Valrhona cocoa, but they DO have the Michel Cluizel chocolate bars in! They have four varieties; I bought the 85% Grand Noir, and the 66% Concepcion (made from beans from Venezuela). (They also have the unsweetened chocolate, and the 67% Hacienda "Los Ancones" bar.)

The 85% Grand Noir is smoother, but the taste is a bit one-dimensional. There's a strong coffee flavour.

The Concepcion is more interesting--there's more fruit, honey, and caramel undertones. It does not taste as smooth as the Grand Noir.

This is my first time trying the MC chocolate. It's beautifully tempered and breaks cleanly when you cut into it (also has a nice snap to the tooth when you bite). Both bars are very good; they are priced at $9 for a 100g. bar.

ETA: pumpkin truffles are back at Chocolate Art!

Edited by Ling (log)

-Pernigotti

Sorry I didn't see this before your trip to Seattle - they have it (had it?) at ChefShop (on-line retailer with store in Seattle.) I have a large supply I could have sampled off to you as my baking has dwindled off to almost nothing. I like it, but haven't really thought about how much of a difference it makes. I have liked the cocoa cakes I made this past year.

^Thanks! I will let you know if I do a blind-tasting. I don't know how I'm going to do it yet...do you think just a simple chocolate cookie recipe would give the best indication as to the flavour of the cocoa?

I went to Chocolate Arts today. They only have the Valrhona cocoa, but they DO have the Michel Cluizel chocolate bars in! They have four varieties; I bought the 85% Grand Noir, and the 66% Concepcion (made from beans from Venezuela). (They also have the unsweetened chocolate, and the 67% Hacienda "Los Ancones" bar.)

The 85% Grand Noir is smoother, but the taste is a bit one-dimensional. There's a strong coffee flavour.

The Concepcion is more interesting--there's more fruit, honey, and caramel undertones. It does not taste as smooth as the Grand Noir.

This is my first time trying the MC chocolate. It's beautifully tempered and breaks cleanly when you cut into it (also has a nice snap to the tooth when you bite). Both bars are very good; they are priced at $9 for a 100g. bar.

ETA: pumpkin truffles are back at Chocolate Art!

God I miss those pumpkin truffles!!!!!!!

Note: Must see Greg!!!!!

Like I said...like the flavour of the MC, but don't like the performance. Try tempering that stuff! Not fun!

Best flavour test for cocoa.....Devil's food cake? Don't you think?

My pastry chef is thinking about switching chocolates....she will be doing research soon. I'll let you know what she finds, and where she finds it. We are using Cluizel right now, and Valrhona when we can get it.