• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

I just checked and Galloway's Dutch Cocoa is Bensdorp Royal Dutch. It's $5.90 for 400 grams. I tried some last night in some cupcakes and it's quite good. Smells wonderful even just in the bag.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Salsify and white fish (halibut, snapper, sablefish...), fantastic risotto or pasta, yummmm! :raz:

For the past several years I was able to get it through Allied Foods (talk to Russell Tough). Not sure what quantity are you looking for, but usually 15 lb quantity is OK (from Allied) . On a plus note - this root lasts several weeks in cold place and so you can stock - up and keep it for later use. I have not seen it in Asian markets and generally it is somewhat uncommon to see in grocery store.

Cheers to you, though! Oyster plant has fantastic texture and flavour, (as you probably know by now) - good luck in getting it.

Good Luck.

Chef Suave

www.pacificrimgrille.com

Quote -

Are morrels in season now? I thought they were MArch/April time?

End Quote -

It could be it was a reused sign, I'm by no means an expert on mushroom season... my ignorance becomes more obvious every day.

Vanderb (ever hungry)

Amateur with dreams of grandeur

Cheers to you, though! Oyster plant has fantastic texture and flavour, (as you probably know by now) - good luck in getting it.

Good Luck.

Chef Suave

www.pacificrimgrille.com

Is it a distinct unique texture/flavour? I have not heard about oyster plants until I came across this thread.. sounds intriguing. Guess I'll have to wait until winter hits before I can go looking for some. :smile:

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Novacartusa.com has exactly what I'm looking for, but surely someone in Vancouver must sell them. They are the muffin size paper Panettone liners. I have an order for cupcakes for a wedding and I thought they would look a lot nicer than the normal muffin liners. I know Gourmet Warehouse has them but they are about $0.50 each and that's way more than I want to spend. Do you have any ideas? I couldn't find them on SnowCap's site and they seem to be the best wholesaler for baking supplies but I guess I need to find out who the paper suppliers are. Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I was going to suggest novacart..

They have a canadian rep - out of Calgary who we can order from. I should be meeting with him in the next week or so to get some more info.

Hopefully somebody else will have a local source for you though.

I just thought I'd update this thread...

...so I have 2 cakes in the oven right now--one made with the Bensdorp cocoa, and the other made with the Bernard Callebaut. I reserved a bit of each to taste (just the batter) and I was surprised that there was such a difference--I guess you can't really tell these things until you've had them side-by-side!

When the cakes are done baking, they're going into the freezer b/c I have to work and don't have time to do all 4 layers today (I plan on splitting each cake in half, and then making two 4 layer cakes, filling them with Italian caramel buttercream and covering them in caramel chocolate ganache.) So each layer in the cake will be made with a different cocoa, and my tasters can tell me which layer they like best.

I still need to get to Gourmet Warehouse this week. I've decided to forgo ordering online, and just use cocoas that I can get readily in the Vancouver. :smile:

If there's anyone out there wanting to try a slice of the cake and wouldn't mind giving me their opinion, please PM me. I now only have perhaps 6 slices to give away, and you can pick them up outside Feenie's around 7:30-8pm this Friday.

Thanks! A fellow named Bob, from Novacart has replied to my e-mail so I will give him a call. I'll also try Maurice and Ravensburgen that was mentioned on the Acetate thread have some as well although I'm not sure if they're the right size.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

This thread has me curious about SmartChicken. It's the first I've ever heard of it. Are these only available in the US? The SC website has a "grocer locator" but it doesn't include Canada at all. That is a good clue that it's not available here but it isn't the last word.

Does anybody know more about this product?

Just this afternoon, I spent over $100 on chocolate at Gourmet Warehouse. :blink: Oh well. This is officially the most expensive cake I've ever done. :wub::smile:

I picked up another box of Valrhona cocoa, as I've been out for awhile, and a box of an organic cocoa. There was no Callebaut cocoa there--there was a package of Callebaut mousse mix or something, but no cocoa. So the 4 cocoas will be Bensdorp, Valrhona, the organic one, and Bernard Callebaut.

I also stocked up on Manjari, unsweetened Valrhona (I haven't seen this anywhere in Vancouver), 64% E. Guittard, and Scharffen Berger unsweetened. I mentioned in an earlier post that the SB is now $25, but it's only $16 at Gourmet Warehouse! (I left behind one bar in the fridge...so grab it quick if you want it!)

And I've decided to add fleur de sel to the caramel buttercream too. :wink:

Edited by Ling (log)

Just this afternoon, I spent over $100 on chocolate at Gourmet Warehouse...

I know exactly where I'll be going after my first Vancouver paycheque! I've been looking online for a Canadian source for E. Guittard, but I much prefer buying locally. Do they sell Valrhona feves or bars only?

^Only Valrhona bars. They also have Cacao Berry couverture chocolate if you do truffles, and Callebaut feves.

ETA: Here is the finished cake. I've already did my taste test, and finished the leftover ganache and buttercream. I am sooooo full. There were 2 that I liked about the same, but I did in fact prefer one over the other. I'm excited to see what my brave taste-testers think tomorrow!

(Sorry about the messy kitchen and the foil around the bottom of the cake...it was just a quick picture.)

cake

Edited by Ling (log)

I've got most of the results in...the Valrhona cocoa is winning. :smile: Valrhona was my 2nd choice (extremely close...actually, it's pretty much a toss-up between #1 and #2 for me) . That's interesting that so many of us like this cocoa--this was the one I've been using in the kitchen, but considered switching since it rated last in the Cook's Illustrated taste test! :smile:

I just wanted to thank all my taste-testers for participating in my experiment. I have four more opinions coming in. I'll post a picture of the cake slice later today.

Edited by Ling (log)

I've got most of the results in...the Valrhona cocoa is winning.  :smile:

Ling - the cake was delicous. Thanks for sharing it with the tasters. Each layer was pretty delicous and it was hard to pick a clear winner (though there was one layer that was not as good).

I think that during the next round of tasting - the particpants should be particpants be blindfolded and fed by the staff from Earl's. Or vice versa.

Really - thanks

I think that during the next round of tasting - the particpants should be particpants be blindfolded and fed by the staff from Earl's.  Or vice versa.

Yes...I did consider the blindfolds but I didn't want to come across as being too nutty or obsessed :laugh:

I don't think I can get the Earl's girls to participate. Will you settle for Neil in a bikini? I'll ask him to wax first.

ETA my thoughts:

It was probably easier for me to rank the cocoas, since I had the opportunity to smell the cocoa before adding it to the batter, to taste the batter, and to taste the cakes before filling and frosting them. I liked the Bensdorp cocoa slightly more the Valrhona, even though the Valrhona is more attractive in colour, and has a slightly deeper flavour. I just found the flavour of the Bensdorp cocoa to be more interesting.

After I picked Bensdorp as #1, I went back and tasted Bensdorp vs. organic, and Bensdorp vs. Valrhona several times on Friday night and Saturday. Like I mentioned earlier, it was very difficult for me to choose which I liked better--Bensdorp or Valrhona. I had the advantage of starting off with a "clean" palate each time...I'm sure it would've been more difficult to chose a winner had I eaten bites of chocolate cake/ganache/buttercream before eating the Bensdorp layer.

I know that this experiment isn't even close to being scientific, but I think more people would've chosen the Bensdorp cocoa had it been the first or second cake layer that was tasted.

The cocoa that no one chose as being particularly notable was the Bernard Callebaut.

About half the taste-testers also enjoyed the organic cocoa--this was the cocoa that I liked the least. The colour in the tin is very pale (lighter than Fry's) and had an "off" odour that was also present in the batter and the baked cake. It tasted kind of like anise and coffee, which I don't mind in chocolate for everyday consumption, but I think as a cocoa, overwhelms the cake. It will not balance well with all types of fillings and frostings. (I can use this cocoa with a coffee buttercream, but I can't use it with a raspberry mousse, for example.) I didn't enjoy the taste of this cocoa at all, but it is perhaps that distinguishing flavour that the other tasters liked. :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)