• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to go for dinner..

Cook456

Looking for some place new to dine with some friends on Saturday evening, in the Rutherford / Hackensack / maybe Montcalir area..maybe even Ridgewood..

He's not a big seafood eater; she has to have her Cosmo..

Other than that, I'm pretty much open to suggestions.... :blink:

Please help. I'm tired of going to The Martini Grill for mediocre food.

Edited by Cook456 (log)

Go a little further--to Hoboken. To The Jefferson. All will be well! :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Why not Fortunato's (call the bar first if need be!) they have both great food and nice - ok beyond nice... over-eager service. That should do it!!!!! :biggrin:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Has anyone tried "The Restaurant" in Hackensack, I believe they have a bar.

There is also Sanzari's New Bridge Inn - They have a nice bar and I have had appetizers there that were good and friends who have eaten dinner there have liked it. It is in New Milford but very close to Hackensack, right off of New Bridge Road.

Should you wish to go into Montclair I would recommend Egan and Sons, 118 Walnut Avenue. It is an upscale Irish place so a full bar is a given, and the food is quite good. I had an excellent hanger steak not very long ago.

http://www.eganandsons.com/

Ambiance CAN be as important as the food!

There's the Ivy Inn -- Hasbrouck Heights

Chakra - Paramus (Very good martini)

River Palm (FL Location)

Jan

--too bad about not wanting seafood- Oceanos (Fair Lawn) makes a great Martini!

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Underappreciated by Eg-ers (mysteriously) is Harvest Bistro in  Closter.  A beautiful environment, and excellent creative food to go along with it.  Good wine list.  Very popular, be sure to make a res. 

Harvest Bistro Web Site

The answer to it being underappreciated is quite simple. Their prices are very high as is the noise level (check out their site) and their food is not worth it. The NYT gave it a "good" rating some time ago and it has not improved a bit since. The bar scene is really something else. Packed.

Hank

Underappreciated by Eg-ers (mysteriously) is Harvest Bistro in  Closter.  A beautiful environment, and excellent creative food to go along with it.  Good wine list.  Very popular, be sure to make a res. 

Harvest Bistro Web Site

The answer to it being underappreciated is quite simple. Their prices are very high as is the noise level (check out their site) and their food is not worth it. The NYT gave it a "good" rating some time ago and it has not improved a bit since. The bar scene is really something else. Packed.

This reminds me of a Yogi Berra-ism: "Nobody goes to that place anymore, it's too crowded!!" :laugh::laugh:

Well, I respectfully disagree. The food here I have found to be consistently excellent, and the ambience is superb. This is a chef that cares about food. A nice dining experience.

You know I have had some disagreements with opinions Menton has expressed in the past(or more exactly he has disagreed with mine) but in this, I am in complete agreement, and offer my full support for his opinion.

Harvest is grossly underappreciated here. It is a truely lovely place. Took a friend there on Friday for dinner. Had just a wonderful pan fried snapper and great grilled hanger steak, as well as half a chilled lobster with drawn butter.

Nice romantic place to take a date. <s> Unhurried, and the waiter was very respectful of our desire to sit and talk at our own pace.

Friends of mine had been there also about two weeks ago for a birthday. They also think it is lovely, and they tried many of the currrent desserts as well.

For special occasions and some really nice food, you should give it a try.

Hey you know it has to be good when Menton and I both agree. <giggle>

Looking for some place new to dine with some friends on Saturday evening, in the Rutherford / Hackensack / maybe Montcalir area..maybe even Ridgewood..

Please help.  I'm tired of going to The Martini Grill for mediocre food.

To bring this all back around to where it started, Cook456 where did you end up going?

Please help.   I'm tired of going to The Martini Grill for mediocre food.

To bring this all back around to where it started, Cook456 where did you end up going?

After all that..wound up BBqing at my friends house, instead..

Thanks for all the suggestions, though.

Edited by Cook456 (log)

After all that..wound up BBqing at my friends house, instead..

Thanks for all the suggestions, though.

All that blood spilled for nothing. :biggrin:

Yep. and I was really in the mood for a nice dining experience. But it is all about friends...right?