• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! (2006-2012)

Kerry Beal

My technique is to place the foil sheet (make sure it is the really thin confectionery foil) in the palm of your hand with the inside up.

. . .

Hope this helps...

Many, many thanks. I will be trying this a little later on today when my munchkin goes home with her Mom and I can give it my full attention!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery than I hope Vanessa feels very flattered. :biggrin: Ever since I first saw your chocolates, Vanessa, I have wanted to try to come close to the style of colouring you use. I am still miles away but creeping closer! I wish I were a better photographer as this one really doesn't quite capture the look as I had hoped.

gallery_6903_111_17387.jpg

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna , I sure feel very very flattered !!! Those a re incredible, I know about light and setting to photograph those kinda of things, they loose most of their shine and beuty ,but I can tell there is way more in those creation than the pic shows.

Brava big time , you had master the coloring and molding skill so fast you should be very very proud of yourself!! :smile::wink:

Vanessa

Ok saying that I am going nuts over toffee etc. doeasnt explain how I feel!!

I have tried so many different things and they turned out form ok to a disaster to throw away!!!

Another thing I wanted to reproduce was a molasses brittle , that I really enjoy , I made it today and it turned quite nice .Well at least that one did :wacko:

Vanessa

My technique is to place the foil sheet (make sure it is the really thin confectionery foil) in the palm of your hand with the inside up.

Place the piece to be wrapped on the center of the sheet and give it a little press down into the foil.  I find it helps me to have that hand gloved with a cotton glove. 

That initial press gives you the outline of what the foil needs to smooth around.

Next just work your way around the piece working the foil into the details.  As you work around, just fold down the foil to the back of the piece.

Once the foil is on, give the piece a press on the table to seat the back.

I will usually wrap all the pieces then go back to burnish them a little bit.  I use a cotton cloth (sometimes a spare glove) to just rub the foil to give the piece more definition and shine.

That said, I have only done "bonbon" and other flat pieces like little hearts and suckers.

Make sure the foil piece is not too big, otherwise you will end up with a bulge on the back.

Hope this helps...

This is lot trickier than it sounds! I will keep practising though and I am sure I will eventually figure it all out. :smile:

My 2004 eG Blog

This is lot trickier than it sounds!  I will keep practicing though and I am sure I will eventually figure it all out.  :smile:

Just keep practicing! I had to foil wrap 1000 dark chocolate solid hearts for a wedding last year. After the first dozen or so you get a groove!

I might suggest molding just some plain dark chocolate in your intended mold (without color or fillings) to practice on.

You can try a few times and then just reuse the chocolate later...

Patrick

Patrick Sikes

www.MyChocolateJournal.com

A new chocolate review community

PS I Love You Fine Chocolates

This is lot trickier than it sounds!  I will keep practicing though and I am sure I will eventually figure it all out.   :smile:

Just keep practicing! I had to foil wrap 1000 dark chocolate solid hearts for a wedding last year. After the first dozen or so you get a groove!

I might suggest molding just some plain dark chocolate in your intended mold (without color or fillings) to practice on.

Patrick

Problem is ... once I have carefully wrapped a chocolate and smoothed down the foil, it spoils the look and sheen on the chocolate when it is unwrapped! My chocolates are properly tempered but it doesn't take much to mar that shine. Is this a common problem?

My 2004 eG Blog

This is lot trickier than it sounds!  I will keep practicing though and I am sure I will eventually figure it all out.  :smile:

Patrick

Problem is ... once I have carefully wrapped a chocolate and smoothed down the foil, it spoils the look and sheen on the chocolate when it is unwrapped! My chocolates are properly tempered but it doesn't take much to mar that shine. Is this a common problem?

It is. Some of the big guys foil wrap everything - and the bonbons don't look all that great once unwrapped... But hey, the foil IS pretty and shiny.

Edited by John DePaula (log)

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Ahh finally , after many sperimentations, today I did 2 different toffee recipes ,they are different in tecnique .Now that I could see the difference and try it, I find that the second one I made is much closer intexture to the one I really like ( more tender if you can say that ).Ahh finally I feel much better now :laugh:

Umm foil wrappin?No thank you :raz: , I spend too much time make my chocolate look good :raz:

Vanessa

Ahh finally , after many sperimentations, today I did 2 different toffee recipes ,they are different in tecnique .Now that I could see the difference and try it, I find that the second one I made is much closer intexture to the one I really like ( more tender if you can say that ).Ahh finally I feel much better now  :laugh:

Umm foil wrappin?No thank you  :raz: , I spend too much time make my chocolate look good  :raz:

Just one chocolate in a selection, Vanessa, otherwise I am with you - I don't work this hard to cover them up! :biggrin:

My 2004 eG Blog

Yep.... Foil is going to mar the finish....

Maybe a very thin piece of tissue just smaller than the foil sheet between the foil and the chocolate? Probably still going to scratch things up a bit and a lot more work....

How about this appoach.... You make some percentage (80?) of your bonbons with the bright shinny painted finish and then you foil wrap the rest in coordinating foil colors without the paint job. Gives a little extra pop to the box and saves some time. Maybe not much unless you get fast at foiling...

Patrick Sikes

As some of you know, I despise foil wrapping! That said, Easter is just around the corner and I'll be spending hours wrapping and polishing little peanut butter filled critters. I use a fluffy towel as my work surface, wear a cotton glove and ever so loosely drape the foil over the piece. Then I go back with a cotton ball and starting at the top of the piece I begin to smooth the foil into the crevices.

I don't think there's any way around the loss of shine. The foil is going to mar the finish no matter how carefully you wrap. I have seen some chocolatiers only foil wrap cocoa rolled truffles leaving the perfect shiny bonbons alone.

Ok first experiment with red hearts for Valentine's day order .

I did a passion fruit filling .I am still awaiting for the heart molds I have order from Jb prince , unfortunally only after I ordered they told me they in backorder and will be here not soon than the 15 th so I will pobably end get it here at home by the 20th ( hopefully ).

Anyway , I had a little disaster happening while warming up the color , ahhhhhh :wacko: , can you immagine a red cocoa butter all over your microwave??Not fun :sad: Oh well!

gallery_44494_2818_2538.jpg

gallery_44494_2818_15275.jpg

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

I did a passion fruit filling .I am still awaiting for the heart molds I have order from Jb prince , unfortunally only after I ordered they told me they in backorder and will be here not soon than the 15 th so I will pobably end get it here at home by the 20th ( hopefully ).

Anyway , I had a little disaster happening while warming up the color , ahhhhhh :wacko: , can you immagine a red cocoa butter all over your microwave??Not fun :sad: Oh well!

gallery_44494_2818_2538.jpg

gallery_44494_2818_15275.jpg

Wow, Vanessa, those are some of the prettiest hearts I've ever seen! Brava!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

:wub::wub:

Thank you so much , your compliments make my day much better , since it didnt start too well , thank you :smile:

Alana I used chefrubber color yes the jewel collection ( I have a deep love for metallic , due my last name I think :laugh: ) I used eguittard 61 % for the shells.

Vanessa

. . .

Vanessa - those are truly awe-inspiring!

Sorry about the microwave - had a similar disaster when I went to re-warm some cocoa butter that had been contaminated with a tiny bit of metallic powder - huge explosion as pyrex pinch bowl shattered just after I opened the microwave door - still picking up shards of glass from unexpected places! :shock:

My 2004 eG Blog

. . .

Vanessa - those are truly awe-inspiring!

Sorry about the microwave - had a similar disaster when I went to re-warm some cocoa butter that had been contaminated with a tiny bit of metallic powder - huge explosion as pyrex pinch bowl shattered just after I opened the microwave door - still picking up shards of glass from unexpected places! :shock:

Ouch , that is even worse , and dangerous , I am sorry .These accidents in the kitchen are not to be underestimated :sad:

Vanessa

Did you paint the inside of the molds with the cocoa butter or did you add it to the tempered chocolate? These hearts are some of the prettiest ones I have seen.

Mark

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Gotta say, Vanessa those hearts are amazing! They just glow. Good work.

Edited to change my awe-inspiring to amazing, as I realize that awe-inspiring has already been used.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Ah Ah! FInally I got some wafer/ rice paper today and I couldnt wait , I was thinking about the nougat all day at work, so I came back and made a batch , Kerry's recipe, I was looking into my italian pastry book and the italian torrone is way too long and a bit too complicated for a home kitchen,So way to go Kerry :biggrin:

I made the recipe as it is but I wanted a chocolate one so I did add some bittersweet and unsweetned chocolate at the end, the scraps inside the bowl were pretty yummy ( my entire house smells like honey hooooooohhhh ) Will post result tomorrow , cant wait to bite in it.

Thank you Kerry for the beutifull recipes and tips you always share with us :wub:

Vanessa

Vanessa...wow!!!!

Very amazing how you get that shine and even color!

As with the whole cocoa butter melting thing...get yourself a yogurt maker. I seem to find them at garage sales all the time (although not with all that snow you have right now Vanessa...just missed that winter!). The yogurt maker uses very low gentle heat and keeps everything at working temperature.

Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Euro-Cuisine-YM80-Yo...8&s=home-garden

Patrick Sikes

Hello Patrick! How you guys doing??No kidding , I really dont think you are missing the snow here , with the nice climate in Florida ( ahh the ocean! )

Thank you for the tip , I will give a look around to see what I can find .

I hope the chocolate making will continue soon for you :smile:

Vanessa