• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DDC Dinner At Mandoline

Mummer

I just returned from tonight's dinner and it was all that! I tasted everything all at our table; top shelf!

If I were able to return tomorrow, I would. Thanks to Todd and his staff for a great meal and thanks to Jeff for organizing.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I am very sorry to everyone for being absent from tonight's dinner. I had the pleasure of having my first child on Friday May 19th. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves and hope you can spread the word.

<span style='color:red'><i>Todd Lean

Email me

Most DDC dinners are memorable, but last night's repast was totally kickass! 7 of us at our table passed plates all night (the ideal DDC dinner in my opinion) and we were able to taste everything on the menu. Every single dish was extraordinary.

Huge kudos to Jeff for organizing this amazing dinner, and to Chef Jeff and staff for dazzling all of us with every plate. A truly amazing meal.

And the chance to hook up with Jim Tarantino and discuss his new big cookbook, talk wine with Jim's better half and Katie, and to finally meet the indefatigable Tarte Tatin (who should have photos!), well, it just doesnt get any better than that!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Well said, Rich! The meal was fabulous all the way through. I'm envious that you got to taste every dish, but I was quite contented with what I picked.

The lobster bits and truffle oiled mac and cheese was stellar... and the soft shell crabs were perfect for the season.

It was a pleasure spending time with everybody and putting faces to some of the eG handles I've been reading for years.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Everyone I spoke to had a wonderful and perfectly paced meal last night. Sous chef, Jeff Natale didn't miss a beat and I suspect most people would not have guessed that Todd Lean was not in the kitchen. I was seated facing the kitchen and was amazed at the furious pace Jeff and his cook kept up. They were constantly turning out food for the 26 people in attendance.

The waitstaff were both charming and professional. The food was really quite good and I totally agree with Chris's take on the lobster mac and cheese or as Capaneus calls it "mac and sleeze". I thoroughly enjoyed the tuna and it was cooked perfectly rare. I look forward to bringing my wife and friends soon, my kind of place.

Always nice seeing familiar EG folks and It was great meeting people for the first time.

It was great fun!

Mr. Tarte Tatin still hasn't figured out how to post Egullet pictures (even after a tutorial).

So he'll probably be giving y'all a link to a web page he puts up.

He insists it will be "in a couple of days."

grosses bises,

The indefatigable Tarte Tatin!

Philly Francophiles

I am very sorry to everyone for being absent from tonight's dinner. I had the pleasure of having my first child on Friday May 19th. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves and hope you can spread the word.

Todd:

I don't think you have to worry about a thing. Dinner was fabulous (and I hear was great on Tuesday evening as well from some of those attendees) and your staff did you proud in your absence. Really.

Just enjoy these few days off and take good care of your wife (who has surely earned some rest after going through pregnancy and labor) and your new child. Congratulations to you and your family!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I had the good fortune to hit day two of the Mandoline DDC dinner, and enjoyed it quite a lot. Our table wasn't quite organized enough to order one of everything, but we put a good dent in the offerings.

the legendary Lobster Truffle Mac and Cheese with Grilled Brioche.

gallery_23992_2950_44556.jpg

Duck Confit Salad with shaved fennel and sun-dried cherries in a lemon truffle vinaigrette

gallery_23992_2950_68152.jpg

Mussels in a red coconut curry sauce with Thai basil and lime

gallery_23992_2950_41318.jpg

I managed to grab a taste of the Goat Cheese Pistachio Cake - black mission fig and balsamic glaze but somehow failed to get a photo of it. I ordered the Duck salad, so mostly had that, and I liked it quite a lot, especially the play of the sharp fennel, the intense cherries and the rich duck.

For entrees, our table ordered:

Soft-Shell Crabs with a vegetable fricassee and pine nut anchovy aioli

gallery_23992_2950_60385.jpg

Grilled Venison Loin- with a five spice port reduction and asparagus

gallery_23992_2950_67067.jpg

BBQ Glazed Pork Tenderloin applewood smoked bacon, sauerkraut, and frites

gallery_23992_2950_83621.jpg

Little Neck Clams with andouille sausage over hand cut fettuccine in a saffron tomato broth.

gallery_23992_2950_65299.jpg

and the Coriander Crusted Tuna with a spring pea risotto and black trumpet consommé

(sorry, terrible pic...)

Everyone seemed to like what they ordered, but the venison in particular drew raves. I bartered for a bite, and it had a really nice flavor, and almost buttery tenderness. I also traded for a taste of the crabs, which were also quite nice. The clams were nice and fresh, and the accompanying chorizo had a bold spicy kick. I was quite happy with my Pork Loin, it was quite amazingly tender and juicy, glazed with a fairly conventional barbecue sauce, over bacon-studded sauerkraut, with some good fries. The flavors were not all that surprising, but the quality was outstanding.

For dessert, we indulged in:

A Hazelnut/Praline somethingorother

gallery_23992_2950_9587.jpg

Lemon Tart

gallery_23992_2950_126126.jpg

A very chocolately brownie with Olive Oil Gelato

gallery_23992_2950_33390.jpg

A serving of the olive oil gelato (from Capogiro) straight-up

gallery_23992_2950_110099.jpg

These were all really good, but the hazelnut dessert drew some serious reverence.

Overall, as reported earlier, everything was quite good, and has certainly encouraged me to visit again. Service was very friendly and efficient, and I'm somewhat mystified at how the kitchen managed to get all that food out to such large parties in such an efficient manner.

Big thanks to Chef Todd for making this happen, and no need to apologize, I think the birth of a child is a pretty good excuse... and equal thanks to Chef Jeff for getting the food expertly on the plates.

And of course to JeffL for getting this going in the first place, and to David for hosting day 2.

I'd call this a complete success, a very enjoyable dinner and a great encouragement to go back to Mandoline and try more.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Thanks Philadining for the excellent photo's, saves me the trouble of trying to post mine myself (you did see my face while you were explaining it didn't you?). I concur that the encore dinner was excellent from start to finish. Our intimate party of 15 had a great time conversing and I was able to meet many new people.

Those mussels are amazing and I thought my wife's goat cheese app was excellent as well. Having had my first experience with Venison last night (yes odd I know, especially living up here in the northern 'burbs where the beginning of dear season is like a national holiday), I must say it was delicious. Incredibly tender and flavorful and went well with the Pinot Noir we were drinking. Snagged a taste of Philadining's Pork tenderloin and I thought it was very tender and delish as well.

Thanks to Jeff Natale and his excellent assistant chef Jessica for a seamless meal. Thank you to the servers (I'm sorry I forget their names) who have the prefect combination of professionalism and friendliness, their service was excellent. Thanks to Chef Todd for opening up his restaurant and to Jeff L for organizing. Mandoline is a true winner!

And then running into Katie and Herb for after dinner drinks at the Bleu Martini topped it all off!

Edited by davidbdesilva (log)

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

I had the good fortune to hit day two of the Mandoline DDC dinner, and enjoyed it quite a lot. Our table wasn't quite organized enough to order one of everything, but we put a good dent in the offerings.

Philadining, stunning pictures as always. Sorry I missed you but glad you got to go last night. It sounds as though everyone had the very same experience we had on Monday night.

Somehow I don't remember the extensive dessert offerings, might have been the 12 bottles of wine I had during dinner. :biggrin: