• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Argentine Food in Miami Beach

lambretta76

The Cuba thread has been a great read. Thanks for all of the info.

On that note, I've been hearing from Argentine friends about the burgeoning scene in north Miami Beach. Can anyone perhaps recommend any favorites in that area now referred to as Little Buenos Aires? Any great places for parrillada? Wonderful baked empanadas? Thanks!

Edited by lambretta76 (log)

I'm having a conversation with myself, it seems!

It looks like we've narrowed it down to these restaurants:

Las Vacas Gordas

Graziano's

La Porteña

with us leaning towards La Porteña - has anyone been there?

I'm sure it does seem that way, but I wanted to let you know I'm following along and appreciatiate all your posts. I wish it was going to be soon that I make my way down to SoFlo to try the Cuban, Argentine, and all Miami has... When I do, I've got loads of ideas. Thanks.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

It looks like we've narrowed it down to these restaurants:

Las Vacas Gordas

Graziano's

La Porteña

I go to Miami Beach a few times a year, and Las Vacas Gordas is on my short list too, but I've never made it there to eat. Last time though I did manage to stop in to get a "vibe" and look at the menu on my way to the airport, and I liked what I saw. I'm definitely going to try it.

If you go there or to any of those places, please do post.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Graziano's was chosen as a safe bet - when I return from my trip (which is my bachelor party, though the aspirations are more culinary than libidinous) I'll post some reviews. I do hope to make it up to Little Buenos Aires if only for a pastry or two.

I wanted to add that Graziano's was chosen for the ability to take a reservation for 6 on a Friday night at 8 pm - the others projected hour-long waits minimum.

Edited by lambretta76 (log)

• 2 months later...

Just went to Graziano's a couple nights ago. Overall very nice. http://www.parrilla.com/

We had the "Tablita de achuras: mollejas, chorizo y morcilla" to start - the sausages were both quite good (morcilla is a blood sausage and chorizo is a more conventional sausage). The sweetbreads (mollejas) were grilled (good in my book, I hate it when the delicate things get coated with bread crumbs and fried.... they are too delicate) but they were overcooked and some were not properly peeled. Still I adore grilled sweetbreads so we ate many anyway.

We had a mixed parrilla for two as the main which was very very good - or at least what we could finish was great. The skirt steak was wonderful, juicy and cooked like we like it (pink inside, but charred outside) and the short ribs were pink and juicy inside. The short ribs had so much marbling they almost tasted like Kobe beef to me... seriously... they were almost too rich to eat (we managed somehow :biggrin:). The mixed parrilla also came with lechon (suckling pig) and chicken, all of which we carted home in a doggy bag. We shared a panqueces con dulce de leche desert - crepes stuffed with Argentine style milk caramel. At Graziano's they flambe them with Cointreau - not very traditional but the result was nice. Our waiter added some very good vanilla ice cream on the side. My only complaint with the dessert was that the dulce de leche was a little weak compared to the stuff I have had in the past. We had a marvelous 1999 Catena Malbec (Angelica Vineyard) - always a treat.

We picked Graziano's over Vacas Gordas because we had read the service at Vacas Gordas was pretty horrible and we didn't really feel like dealing that night...

My biggest gripe is that no one seems to bring in Argentine meat... American is fine, but it is just not the same. I asked at Graziano's and the captain told me it was illegal... he is wrong but I didn't bother to correct him. Argentine meat is now legal in the USA and has been for a few years now. There was a place in NYC importing it but I can't remember the place.

On a different note the Buenos Aires Confiteria (Bakery) in North Beach is SO COOL (71st street and Collins). The sandwiches de miga are wonderful as are all the facturas (breakfast pastry) - I was also able to pick up some Mantecol (argentine halvah) and imported Dulce de Leche. We brought a dozenn sandwiches de miga home with us for a plentiful lunch the next day - they keep just fine in the fridge.

Yo soy como el chile verde... piquante pero sabroso