• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for advice...afternoon tea

PicnicChef

Hi all!

My name is Christine, and I love the fact that all you people know food well, and have great advice and opinions. A year ago, this March, I opened a little retail shoppe to augment my catering business, Picnic. located in Emerson NJ I've just got approval for seating, and I am thinking about offering afternoon tea in Bergen County...you know...scones, tea sandwiches, an assortment of tea, clotted cream, trifle, etc. Before I make the plunge, I wanted to see if the e-gullet community thought this was a good idea. Can you let me know? Thoughts? Thanks a million. This is such a fun site; I've become a bit of an addict. Again my thanks.

Hi all!

My name is Christine, and I love the fact that all you people know food well, and have great advice and opinions. A year ago, this March, I opened a little retail shoppe to augment my catering business, Picnic. located in Emerson NJ I've just got approval for seating, and I am thinking about offering afternoon tea in Bergen County...you know...scones, tea sandwiches, an assortment of tea, clotted cream, trifle, etc. Before I make the plunge, I wanted to see if the e-gullet community thought this was a good idea. Can you let me know? Thoughts? Thanks a million. This is such a fun site; I've become a bit of an addict. Again my thanks.

I for one would welcome it. I've been known to ride up to Chester to Sally Lunn's just for tea and a scone with strawberries and clotted cream..

Christine--

Although the search function is frustrating with 3-letter words, here are a few threads that discussed afternoon tea in NJ...not sure if all of these places are open, but they might be a starting point for you.

One

Two

And...three. :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

at lunch we frequently do bangers and mash with messy peas, bubble and squeak, etc. I'm nervous, but I think it could be a hit. Thanks Curlz, seems like there is nothing in Bergen County, which, I guess, is a blessing.

Christine

There are a few I think in Bergen. There's the one in Westwood on Broadway across from the train station by the yarn shop(name escapes me), is that still there? I know one closed but didn't another open?

And the Victoria in Teaneck and isn't there one off the main road by the train tracks in Ridgewood? That's an English one, with bangers.

Not to dissuade you but just to let you know what is there. I like bangers and mash and bubble and squeak...

I dont know about the scone shop in Westwood (they were really good) but the British place in Ridgewood is a Thai place now...

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I know when the crowd comes off the train at between 430ish and 615ish I see a lot of them go to dunkin donuts for coffee and donuts also some go to the bagel shop before it closes that is by you for coffee, tea etc as well, so I am sure that if you can cater a bit to that evening summer crowd that might work.

I am lucky in the fact that I'm not a coffee drinker however I used to love to have a hot cocoa or hot tea at around 4pm and we used to send a friend out every day on DD runs to get some frappachino and stuff. Hope this helps?! :cool:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Thanks! I'm just thinking making it a comfy place to stop in, have a cuppa, a scone, maybe a little treat...after the lunch crowd has past. And, with seats, we can accomodate our lunch business more. People have wanted to sit, so they hang out on the couch. I just ordered some nice outdoor furniture for spring too. I'm excited!

There's a place called The Tea Hive in Newton that does a very good business. You might want to take a ride up there to check it out.

My lake house is not far from there. Thanks, I've never heard of it and will toodle up this week...

Victoria's is closed in Teaneck-

I think a traditional English Tearoom would do well if advertised.

I personally enjoy green(low fermented-oxidized) oolong-I am somewhat of a tea snob-but everyone has their faults-

herbal teas and some scented teas would do well.

Hi all!

Even though I live in Union co. I would be willing to come to Bergen for afternoon tea. There really aren't many places that serve afternoon tea (that I know) and I love when I'm in NYC to go for tea. (It's so civilized!) Be sure to let us know when you open. Some of the tea places even have birthday parties for little girls where they can dress up and learn about a proper tea. That would be so much fun!! :smile:

Lori

I just remembered--unless something has changed, the Hilton Short Hills offers afternoon tea...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

I just remembered--unless something has changed, the Hilton Short Hills offers afternoon tea...

But, do you think that would impact little Bergen County, especially the Pascack Valley? I'm trying to offer a bit of brit in bergen, and am not sure if it would fly. Today, went though the attic and grabbed about 20 really cool tea pots. Lucky to have travelled more than 2 years in britain and I know what tea should be...we'd me more casual (and way cheaper) than the Hilton. My menu changes ever day for lunch, but I think I'd keep it pretty regular (less local organic produce) for tea. check out www.picniccaterers.com

But, do you think that would impact little Bergen County, especially the Pascack Valley?

Not at all! Just thought you were looking for places just for reference...

And I think it's a given that you'd be more casual and less expensive than the Hilton Short Hills! :laugh:

So Picnic Chef it looks like all the ones that I was thinking off are no longer around so you would be the only one in the area. The tea place/scone shop that used to be in Westwood did have a clientele and some really nice stuff. So you could conceivably pick up that clientele.

Even though I live in Union co. I would be willing to come to Bergen for afternoon tea.  There really aren't many places that serve afternoon tea (that I know) and I love when I'm in NYC to go for tea. (It's so civilized!) Be sure to let us know when you open.  Some of the tea places even have birthday parties for little girls where they can dress up and learn about a proper tea.  That would be so much fun!! :smile:

Lori, while researching afternoon teas in this area, I came across this: American Jubilee Desserts Café and Tea Sanctuary [Tea room and merchant]

89 East Cherry Street (at Irving), Rahway.

Isn't that just around the corner from your restaurant?

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Even though I live in Union co. I would be willing to come to Bergen for afternoon tea.  There really aren't many places that serve afternoon tea (that I know) and I love when I'm in NYC to go for tea. (It's so civilized!) Be sure to let us know when you open.  Some of the tea places even have birthday parties for little girls where they can dress up and learn about a proper tea.  That would be so much fun!! :smile:

Lori, while researching afternoon teas in this area, I came across this: American Jubilee Desserts Café and Tea Sanctuary [Tea room and merchant]

That is right around the corner!! I have never heard of that place but I will look into it! Don't know anyone who has been there either. :hmmm: Do you? Thanks Randi for the info!

Lori

That is right around the corner!! I have never heard of that place but I will look into it! Don't know anyone who has been there either. :hmmm: Do you? Thanks Randi for the info!

Nope, never been. If I was that close to your restaurant, I would just go there and forego the tea! :raz:

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

It would seem that the audience for a weekday afternoon cafe would be non-working people, retired folks, full-time parents with or without the kids. That seems to me to be a tough crowd for an afternoon "tea". And you would be competing head-on with Starbucks.

There is a Cafe Angelique in Tenafly (In the restored RR station), but they are busy all day from breakfast right through after-dinner coffee. They are a terrific alternative to Starbucks for me, with light fare, gorgeous desserts, and good coffee. (I don't care much for tea, myself). Perhaps a drive-by and a peer-in would be in order for you...

By picnic the nearest thing for coffee/tea/scones etc... is either the bagel shop across from her place or dunkin donuts about 1/2 block down, neither are particularly appealing. The only problem I see for picnic is visibility because it's hard to know that she's there in that location, you really need a BIG BOLD street sign (which I think the town would not allow) or something to show where she is... her food is really tasty but if I didn't know about next door to her hot dog heaven or "laurel"? some, chinese place I probably would keep driving by... sad to say. (Maybe talk to Arvind about putting a sign in front of his building across from the train stop, for a day or two at 24 Emerson West, he owns that building, he's upstairs or maybe in front of "HI-LO" hairshop) *shrug*

Maybe the outdoor concept will bring people in via word-of-mouth etc and I'd love a place for a cold or warm cup of tea that is different being a NON-Coffee drinker! My latest "turn-ons" are golden oolong, twining (the gold bag) or cold green tea over cracked ice! YUM :laugh:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Wow! I'm getting some terrific ideas...keep them coming, please! I just picked out our tables, for lunch, that would be fun for tea...nice little civilized antique ice cream style tables and cute little chairs that are logs, to go with the picnic theme. I picked out some wallpaper in a preppy pink and green plaid that I am thinking about... teaching the boys at the shop a decent british accent. On my menu today, I had something called "Mommy's Lunch" - tea sandwiches, scone, clotted cream, jam and a cuppa tea. It was the number one seller. I might have an idea here...so keep yours coming! Thanks!