• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to drink?

Jaymes

I'm having people over for curry next week. The one I make is chicken, very hearty, very spicy.

When I first started preparing this recipe for dinner parties (about 30 years ago) I thought that at a "proper grown-up dinner" I absolutely had to serve wine. Otherwise, the evening would be cheap and low class and everyone would know I was an inexperienced, unsophisticated ninny.

About that time, on TV Graham Kerr (speaking directly to me, I know) informed me that in his opinion wine just doesn't work very well with curry. Much better, said Galloping Graham, was a heady, cold beer.

And since then, that is exactly what I have served. And it's delicious. A big mouthful of spicy curry washed down with cold beer seems, to my mind, just about perfect.

Of my dinner guests next week, however, one couple just does not like beer. I am at a loss. Although I have continued to experiment, even after the Kerr revelation, I have never found a wine that I think goes as well as the beer.

Any suggestions?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

When I read the title of the thread before reading your posts I thought : Beer!

Definetely a cold beer is matcing with carry perfectly.

I will probably sound rude but do not compromise with guests that do not drink alcoholic beverages. I am against compromises in your own house :-)

You have made an effort to create your dinner, you are not going to serve tea with it.

Let them drink water if they don't like beer.

Give your non beer drinking guest iced ginger ale with a squeeze of lemon and a slash of bitters.

Or..Better yet, challenge them with a wonderful top fermented-bottle condintioned belguin ale..show them the wild yeast setiment on the bottom of the bottle,tell them how this type of ale can mature for a few years like a fine wine.

Kind of show off :cool: let them know you put extra thought into making them happy. If that doesn't work,Well..just shoot them :shock:

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Several members of the Guild of Food Writers (UK) spent some time last year attempting to work out what wines went well with a variety of Oriental foods. There was a general consensus, in which I concurred, that the wine that worked best with the widest variety of gently and even strongly spiced foods was Gewürztraminer. It is very pungent, aromatic, full-bodied, exotic, and stands up to very strong flavors without negating them.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

When I read the title of the thread before reading your posts I thought : Beer!

Definetely a cold beer is matcing with carry perfectly.

I will probably sound rude but do not compromise with guests that do not drink alcoholic beverages. I am against compromises in your own house :-)

You have made an effort to create your dinner, you are not going to serve tea with it.

Let them drink water if they don't like beer.

Oh they like alcoholic beverages all right. They love fine wine. Just don't like beer.

In fact, they're wine connoisseurs and when I invited them, they said (as they always do), "we'll bring the wine" and I said, "I'm serving curry and always serve beer with it" and they looked at each other like I'd just peed on their shoes.

But I've gotten lots of good suggestions and I thank everyone. I'll probably have a choice of things, including things you have suggested, and of course, beer.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

challenge them with a wonderful top fermented-bottle condintioned belguin ale..show them the wild yeast setiment on the bottom of the bottle,tell them how this type of ale can mature for a few years like a fine wine.
These are truly wonderful. There are similar beers in Britain, especially Worthington White Label. A good bartender opens and pours it very carefully and stops just before the yeast sediment starts to cloud the drink. In Belgium, however, you put your thumb over the opened bottle and shake it vigorously so that the yeast is distributed and the beer is very cloudy with a heady foam on top. De gustibus ...

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Serve the Indian food with Pilsner Urquell beer. Serve the folks who don't like beer Zima. :shock:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

If they are wine conniseurs, then it's easy. Ask them to bring a Gewurtztraminer they like. Preferably Alsatian.

If they don't know Alsatian wines but are intrigued, you can recommend:

Albert Mann Furstenum (relatively inexpensive)

Schoffitt

Weinbach

Zind Humbrecht.

That's what I prefer to drink with Indian food (unless it's a hot summer day/night, then it's beer).

beachfan

At Pondicherry we served Vouvray and it was great with Indian food.

Alsacian wines are excellent with Indian food.

I have misplaced my notes on this one wine that I really liked paired with Indian food. It was some kind of a Tokay ???

Maybe someone else would know what I am speaking about. It was excellent. I will see if I can get my notes and give you the name.

Beachfans list sounds promising.

I have never heard friends complain about wine and Indian food these days. I think the trick is to suggest those that pair well. You will be happy to know even wine-snobs friends of mine are excited with a successful pairing.

At the very least, at least Zima commercials are better than the beer and wine commercials (at least the one with the nurse).

Although come to think of it, if commercials are my guide, I guess I should be drinking Mike's hard lemonade.

beachfan

I have misplaced my notes on this one wine that I really liked paired with Indian food.  It was some kind of a Tokay ???

Perhaps it was a Tokay d'Alsace? This wine is now called pinot gris due to EU regs. I believe. It is pinot gris from Alsace -- very full-bodied and flavorful, but in a less perfume-y way than Gewurtz.

FYI:

In the Food and Wine issue for August, there is a lengthy article on wines which are suitable to drink with spicy foods. My personal favourite is a fruity young wine like Beaujolais.