• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The World of a Private Chef

Timh

Monday

Lunch - Lavash wrap w/ grilled chicken, brie, apple, L/T/O mayo for the Mrs.

Dinner - Kids- Panko breaded Grey Sole, broccoli, pomme puree

Adults- salad of mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, shredded carrots, red onion and basic french vinaigrette.

Braised beef(sirloin), carrots and ginger. Fried jasmine rice with shiitakes. and fried shallots. (sort of a riff on braised beef and carrots and a traditional japanese dish, "nikku jaga", with a beef stock/shoyu/ mirin braising liquid in place of the red wine base.)

Edited by Timh (log)

Hey, thanks for giving us a wonderful insight into your line of work. When I started reading this thread, I thought it sounded like a dream job -- until I saw the words, "no one came home..." Whoa, that's gotta hurt. How often does that happen?

Another thing -- why do kids and adults eat different meals? How much does that add to the complexity of the job?

Not to put a damper on this thread but I've had some pretty mediocre experiences with personal chefs.  For a while the g/f's family had a personal chef who would come in the early afternoons and prep dinner for that day and perhaps work on a couple other items.

In general, the food he prepared was forgettable and the fact that most food had to be reheated didn't add to the dining experience.  It's hard to recall specifics but this guy wasn't very good and doesn't bode well for personal chef-ing in general.  I suppose it's all about finding someone who meets your family's needs and someone who you can build a culinary relationship with.

On a somewhat separate note, good food doesn't have to come from a "private chef."  The g/f recalls having an Italian housekeeper who made amazing food.  Again, it's all about finding someone who works for the family at hand.

Lotta sub par chefs working in restaurants too. Doesn't have much to do with this thread.

Thanks so much for sharing. I think it sounds like a great job.

Can you estimate what percentage of your dishes are brand new and what percent are requested favorites?

Do they give you immediate feedback on the new dishes?

On occasion I will servet he same plates to everyone, but usually I serve more friendly, recognizeable food to them. I will give them small taste of things to guage their interest though. They have a wide variety they like as far as kids go, which keeps it more interesting for me.

I would guess 95% of the meals are off the top of my head, we do preplan any parties and functions. Sometimes I hear immediately that they like it, or don't(seldom), often nothing at all(I take that as a positive), they always thank me at the conclusion though, and thats enough for me.

Edited by Timh (log)

Tues 10

Lunch- no one

Prepped bolognese sauce

Kids- Braised beef short ribs(boneless), buttered fresh pasta(torn), haricot vert

Adults- mixed greens, fresh chevre, sherry vin.

Stewed chicken with tomato, green olives, cannellini beans, and braised escarole.

My food is clean and proportionally lite. Its not a feeding trough. I try to not over process the food. I build my plates from the vegetable out, the protien is the garnish. I'm a fan of the 3 element approach.

Offal, which I love to cook, and nothing too spicey(hot), I personally like assertive flavors. Other than that I've managed to feed them many foods they had either never tried, or just thought they wouldn't/didn't like. If i have any doubts, I'll prepare a sample portion and measure their response. I think they really appreciate this approach, its both safe and fun.

I think I can sum up my style as modern bistro. Proper cooking techniques, balanced flavors, and a appreciation for todays health concerns. There is no need for me to stuff them, they arent concerned about cost value as a customer would be.

Edited by Timh (log)

Not to put a damper on this thread but I've had some pretty mediocre experiences with personal chefs.  For a while the g/f's family had a personal chef who would come in the early afternoons and prep dinner for that day and perhaps work on a couple other items.

In general, the food he prepared was forgettable and the fact that most food had to be reheated didn't add to the dining experience.  It's hard to recall specifics but this guy wasn't very good and doesn't bode well for personal chef-ing in general.  I

Any other examples?

To generalize that one experience and say that it "doesn't bode well for personal chef-ing" is pretty ridiculous. I would say it speaks more about the family that hired him (perhaps they are content with mediocre food or, more likely, didn't take the hiring process that seriously) than it does about personal chefs.

Yes, it is about finding a chef that suits the family (and vice versa), and the family doesn't do the work required to find that particular person, well, they can only blame themselves for the crap food they're eating.

I think I can sum up my style as modern bistro. Proper cooking techniques, balanced flavors, and a appreciation for todays health concerns. There is no need for me to stuff them, they arent concerned about cost value as a customer would be.

This is a fascinating thread and your food sounds great. I'd be interested to hear a bit about dinner parties and formal occasions, if that's OK. Do you serve more elaborate dishes on these occasions? Do you make pre-dinner snacks / amuse bouche and serve petit four at the end?

To generalize that one experience and say that it "doesn't bode well for personal chef-ing" is pretty ridiculous.  I would say it speaks more about the family that hired him (perhaps they are content with mediocre food or, more likely, didn't take the hiring process that seriously) than it does about personal chefs.

Yes, it is about finding a chef that suits the family (and vice versa), and the family doesn't do the work required to find that particular person, well, they can only blame themselves for the crap food they're eating.

That's always been one of my favorite daydreams, to think how cool it is to be the President because you have someone to cook anything you want at any time. That's really the only reason I'd want to be Prez :laugh:

If I'm paying a chef 6 figures to cook for me, you better believe I'm gonna have that meal served to me when it is done, not reheated 3 hours later. Some people really don't see the difference, too bad for them!

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

This is a fascinating thread and your food sounds great.  I'd be interested to hear a bit about dinner parties and formal occasions, if that's OK.  Do you serve more elaborate dishes on these occasions?  Do you make pre-dinner snacks / amuse bouche and serve petit four at the end?

I've made tamales for school projects, cookies/cakes and pies for school funtions, assigned dishes for family holiday pot lucks, as well as intimate business meetings/dinners, company retreats, and any and all special occasion meals. Hors'd'oevres are common requests, I've made Wellingtons, Coulbiacs, all manner of roasts, BBQ(Memphis style of course!), petit fours and lots of ice creams in the summer. Almost, literally what ever they ask, I do.

Wed 1/11

Lunch- Hummus plate for Mrs.

Prepped for dinner- made cheese tortellini

dinner- Kids- tortellini w/ bolognese

Adults- Caesar(romain, radicchio, arugula)

Roasted pork tenderloin, Ancho chile sc., carmelised roasted sweet potatoes, loose guacamole(rough mixed and chunky)

Thank you both. I find my inspiration in many places. I have a type of food diary I've kept for years, just writing down ideas, and if prepared, the outcome and subsequent changes. I've got notebooks with dishes and recipes from all of the kitchens I cooked in(many). I'm also a voracious reader of food magazines and books(I really like the British Food and Travel). I also try to eat out enough to keep abreast of whats going on. But often, I just walk thru the produce section and hope something jumps out at me, then I head over to the protein counters. I've been lucky to work in some culinary rich regions and countries which have helped give me a strong base from which to operate.

Thurs 1/12

Lunch- Cheese tortallini, fondue of fennel, sundried tomato, veal jus, parmesean and chopped arugula for Mrs.

Dinner- pork tacos and set ups for kids. A chicken quesadilla for one of them(doesn't like tacos)

Adults- Salad of Bibb and Radicchio, red onion, cherry tomatoes, and stilton. Red wine vin.

Steak Frites (rib eyes, and yes I made the frenchfries), broccoli.

Yes I make the hummus, and as garnish a mix of diced red onion, tomato, cuccumber, radish,kalamata olives, and parsley. I let marinade in a little lemon juice and olive oil befor spooning on top. Garnish with powdered sumac and a little feta. I warm pita and serve on the side.

Add my name to the list of people enjoying learning about your job and life Tim. I have a couple silly questions, if you don't mind.....?

Do you get any type of allowance for books or taking culinary classes?

Do your order any exotic or fresh (maybe truffles) items thru proveyors or online sources? If so, who do you like and what do you buy?

What do you do with your down time during your work day? For example can you watch TV or read a book while something is braising? Is their home open for you (like can you sit outside for your lunch or go swimming during your shift) or do you remain in the kitchen mostly?

Do you have a wide variety of plates/china to serve from? Do you ever get to buy/choose them?

Do you set the table artisticly when they have company? Like choosing the linens and flowers to match what your serving, etc....?

Do you have to do all your own dishes or do you have assistance?

thank-you for sharing

I'm utterly enthralled! What an interesting way to live. And I have to admit I did spend the first few pages of this thread trying to guess which towns they live in! Also, it's nice the kids don't go to boarding school.

In some ways you have a lot in common with stay at home parents who are good cooks. Many of the same frustrations in terms of wanting to try new things but being limited, a budget (albeit I'll take theirs any day and our families are the same size!), and a desire not to repeat often and avoiding waste. So where do you go to stay fresh? When they are on vacation do you try to go on food oriented vacations? Which restaurants inspire you? Aside from Whole Foods, without revealing too much of your location, where are you shopping?

Also, I hope you are writing down what you are preparing. I think there are so many people who would like to eat as this family eats.

Add my name to the list of people enjoying learning about your job and life Tim. I have a couple silly questions, if you don't mind.....?

Do you get any type of allowance for books or taking culinary classes?

Do your order any exotic or fresh (maybe truffles) items thru proveyors or online sources? If so, who do you like and what do you buy?

What do you do with your down time during your work day? For example can you watch TV or read a book while something is braising? Is their home open for you (like can you sit outside for your lunch or go swimming during your shift) or do you remain in the kitchen mostly?

Do you have a wide variety of plates/china to serve from? Do you ever get to buy/choose them?

Do you set the table artisticly when they have company? Like choosing the linens and flowers to match what your serving, etc....?

I can buy books for them, but any that I would buy, I would want, so I just buy for myself. I do order specialty foodsfrom all over. Jamison Farms Lamb, Caviar from Petrossian(when it was cool to do so), whatever I find that sounds good. I get a 2 hr break after lunch to shop and eat, and mostly thats what I'll do(maybe a side visit to the bookstore)Though the environment is casual, I tyr to stay professional in their midst. But any down time at the house for me is spent cleaning, organising, and or planning. . They have their everyday china, special occassion china, and the large party china. There's also sets for outdoor entertaining. They buy it all themselves during their travels. I will have flowers (from the gardens when in season) on the table all year round(I studied ikebana while in Japan). The Mrs. chooses the china and linens. The housekeepers polish and set up and help serve if its a large gathering. Daily I do all of the serving and clean up, and the housekeepers come behind and touch up.

I have wanted to take some nutrition courses and even thought of entering the Masters Gastro program at BU(its dropped now I hear) but my schedual wont seem to allow it.And also now I'm a single dad of two little girls, so I have even less time.

I'm utterly enthralled!  What an interesting way to live.  And I have to admit I did spend the first few pages of this thread trying to guess which towns they live in!  Also, it's nice the kids don't go to boarding school.

In some ways you have a lot in common with stay at home parents who are good cooks.  Many of the same frustrations in terms of wanting to try new things but being limited, a budget (albeit I'll take theirs any day and our families are the same size!), and a desire not to repeat often and avoiding waste.  So where do you go to stay fresh?  When they are on vacation do you try to go on food oriented vacations?  Which restaurants inspire you?  Aside from Whole Foods, without revealing too much of your location, where are you shopping?

Also, I hope you are writing down what you are preparing.  I think there are so many people who would like to eat as this family eats.

I love returning to New Orleans every chance I get, and farther south to Houma. Those places inspire me. But any vacation is a eating vacation for me, its what I like to do. I was just in Charleston and Islands, all Idid was eat and drink. In Boston, I like Pigalle, Restaurant L, Via Matta, and especially Tomasso in Southborough. Fleur de Sel is good, and a bunch of places in China town, can't tell you what their names are though. I'm appaled at the lack of good food on the cape though.

I have to say that I haven't had many good meals on the Cape either, aside from lobster and steamers. As you travel towards Boston there are a few places worth checking out. Tosca in Hingham (off 3A) can be outstanding. Having a good waiter makes a big difference because they are not afraid to tell you what is best on a given night. We also are trying to make the boys good restaurant kids and if you go early you could bring your children without getting the evil eye. Saporito's in Hull can be really good- get the duck if they have it.

Do you hit any of the farmer's markets and which ones do you like? Also, do you have a great egg person (I'm on a quest!)?

Do you buy the wines or do they? I know you said he had an impressive collection but I was wondering if you did the pairings with a given meal.