• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The World of a Private Chef

Timh

Are they up for trying different tastes such as Thai or Indian or something else that might keep life more interesting?

It could be fun to introduce the teen to a "world" of tastes before they go off to college. Though from the sound of it they could jet anywhere to try the cooking.

Have the family members ever expressed an interest in you showing them how to cook different dishes?

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Y'know, as a former resident of Boston, I'm fighting this huge urge to start trying to guess what community your employers' estate is in. (Lots of lovely well-heeled towns due west of Boston--back in the 1980s when I worked for Digital, I used to take shortcuts through them all the time. :smile: )

Ooooh, you are getting warm!

Mcataneo23's experience isn't uncommon I believe, or its preparing different dishes for each member because of their pickiness(or neurosis) at each meal. I'm lucky in that I get to cook whatever I want. I don't get too ethnic with them because its not my strength. I'm strong in American regional, French, Japanese, and Italian. I will use flavors from the far reaches, but not so much the traditional dishes. Pastry and bread are also part of my metier, though their preferences are fairly limited to cookies, pies, and basic country white loaves.

did you say how these folks made their money?

enquiring minds would like to know.

Marlena

The old fashion way, they inherited it. Actually they founded a huge tech company, then came capital investment companies.

I'm wondering about your kids -- are they able to be with you in the "main house" or do they go to daycare or something? Can you bring them with you to your employers' other residences?

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

Dude, be careful. If you like the job and trust is important to these folks, you might be revealing far too much about them here. I hope you've thought all of that through.

I hope you have, because I'm really looking forward to hearing more too!

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

My kids go to day care, soon I will have an au pair, ironic isn't it that domestic help has domestic help? My soon to be ex wife was a personal assistant for another family and was encouraged to bring our babies to work, they had nannies and since she was paid cash, it was considered a benefit. But now its just me and my babies, and daycare and aupairs.

This thread is sort of cathartic for me, as I really miss the industry, its what I trained for, and I miss the energy and satisfaction of leading a team, and dealing with people. My abilities and whatever talent I might have is not fully realized in this position, I'm professionally unchallenged. But the bene's outweigh my personal whininess at this moment, I'll one day step behind a stove of my own.

Dude, be careful.  If you like the job and trust is important to these folks, you might be revealing far too much about them here.  I hope you've thought all of that through. 

I hope you have, because I'm really looking forward to hearing more too!

I'm but one of many in this vicinity in this profession. But your right, my name is right there to the left isn't it. Maybe its my subconscience screaming for me to move on :wink: Anyway, I'm only speaking generally about this niche profession, I have a plum position, I know, and would not disparage my bacon maker so carelessly.

Edited by Timh (log)

This thread is sort of cathartic for me, as I really miss the industry, its what I trained for, and I miss the energy and satisfaction of leading a team, and dealing with people. My abilities and whatever talent I might have is not fully realized in this position, I'm professionally unchallenged. But the bene's outweigh my personal whininess at this moment, I'll one day step behind a stove of my own.

Yeah, I was wondering how you coped with the relative lack of professional challenge in what you're currently doing. What do you do to keep yourself inspired and up to speed professionally? After having been a private chef for several years, would it be hard to get hired back into a restaurant? I know that, after I had taken a hiatus from the high tech industry for several years to do something else, I had the damnedest time breaking back into high tech--recruiters were all "well, your skills and knowledge are obsolete" even when I knew damned well that there were plenty of places where they would be just fine. I finally wound up taking a few classes I didn't really need, just to have a piece of paper to show the recruiters so they'd even bother with me. :angry: Would a similar thing happen in the restaurant industry? Would prospective employers be all "well, it's been so long since you directed a kitchen, do you think you'd be up to the stress, or the latest trends..." or some such rot?

The Chef in Paris that I worked for had been thru this and warned me of the possible difficulties in getting "shell shocked" when reentering the theatre of a kitchen. Over the years I've stuck up frienships with fellow restaurant chefs and filled in at line positions on my off days to maintain my mojo. One aspect of this time spent in a private setting is its allowed me to mature, professionally, "artistically", and personally. Before I was always a chef in someone elses kitchen, with some, but not total control over the menu concept. And with the frenetic pace, I felt I never really had the time I needed to fully developmy style of cooking, I was basically trying to put my stamp on someone elses menu. But now I have been able to focus on my personal style and philosophy of cooking. I imagine my mangement style has matured also, as I had the luxury to reflect, observe, learn and relax.

This is a fascinating thread, Timh. It reminds me a lot of when I worked as chef for a sorority for a year and a half (a job I left only last May)...some of the same challenges, some of the same sorts of benefits--though you are undoubtedly better-compensated than I was. I, too, trailed in restaurants periodically to keep my feet wet.

What do you do with your mornings? Are the kids in day care all day?

This is a fascinating thread, Timh. 

What do you do with your mornings? Are the kids in day care all day?

Thank you. I drop my girls off at preschool at 9, I go in at 11. They are picked up at 2, I stop by on my shopping run to see them and have lunch, then I'm back home 7:30 ish. At this time I'm dealing with a pending divorce and the events that caused it, and trying to gain maintain a clean, safe, happy environment for them, soI've had to put on hold my personal routines. (I was working for instructor certification in a exercise/yoga method. A possible added advantage in this field)

Edited by Timh (log)

If, without damaging the trust and loyalty that are so important to your employers, you could do a blog - with pictures - that would be fantastic! I'd love to see you go through menu preparations, shopping, meal prep, and presentation. If the pictures were only about the food, perhaps the family wouldn't object. Please consider it!

If, without damaging the trust and loyalty that are so important to your employers, you could do a blog - with pictures - that would be fantastic!  I'd love to see you go through menu preparations, shopping, meal prep, and presentation.  If the pictures were only about the food, perhaps the family wouldn't object.  Please consider it!

Color me paranoid, but just ASKING if you could chronicle the family's kitchen for all the world to see might be enough to get your ass canned. And I ain't talking in a Mason jar, either.

They might legitimately query if you've already done so. Given that you've already stated your first name and vicinity (now changed to: Parts Unkonwn), their identity might not be hard to decipher. Wealthy (and discreet) families might frown on this.

On another topic:

And because they are rich, therefore they must be gourmands, epicureans, or just have great taste. WRONG! I am asked to whip up Kraft mac for the kids, there is tons of processed crap on the shelves. I can only control what I cook and feed them, the rest is all them.

Bubblehead Chef might empathize with you, albeit on a larger scale. He's a Navy chef aboard a submarine, and while he wants to introduce his sailors to the various & sundry foods of the world, often the sailors won't try anything that looks even remotely unfamiliar or exotic.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Enough about them, lets talk about me :biggrin: Sorry but can't do the photos.

So heading into this next week, I have no plan. I'm a little overwhelmed with my personal situation, so I'll basically be wingin' it. I'll be prepping for a braise or two, and a roast, but basically going day to day.

This is such a fascinating side of cooking to see! I catered for a number of years (way back when), but I've never done the day after day personal cheffing that you do!

Where do you normally go for groceries and produce? Do you usually end up with money from your $600/week budget leftover? If so, do you put it into a "kitty" for rainy day cooking - like if your employers want caviar one night? I'm sure they don't need to worry about money, but do you ever clip coupons or have run out of your given budget in a week?

For paper goods, plastics and such, i go to the regular ol' super whatever market. Produce, meat and fish come from Whole Foods, or acouple of specialty purveyors in Beantown. I'm also able to get fresh fish, scallops, and clams(when available) from the cape, same day. The budget is ongoing, when it gets low, its brought back up. The non food sundries take up a large portion of the budget, cleaning supplies, paper goods, storage containers(I'm a huge fan of the Glad and Ziplock plastic containers, masking tape and a sharpie) etc.. I will use coupons when appropriate, but usually the stuff I need doesn't apply.

Edited by Timh (log)

Great topic Tim,

Does any one in residence besides you, ever cook or prepare anything themselves?

I mean what happens at 10 pm on a Thursday night, does the misses grill up a few cheesesteak hoagies for her and hubby? :blink:

Why does my inner thinking you want out of this whole thing.....

woodburner

They are not big snackers, but still I keep fresh antipasti going, cheeses, and other tid bits just in case. The kids have loads of fruit on hand, I usually have 1-2 fresh baked desserts out, and then the pantry is always stocked.

What do you do with all of the leftovers? I know you mentioned that sometimes uneaten meals become staff meals, but do you ever "recycle" the leftovers into something else for the next meal? Or does it all just become staff meals?