• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The merits of chain dining in the Heartland

Scary how things reference each other in life... I don't know if anyone has mentioned this article in this thread, but I thought I might include it in this discussion. I happened to read this article last night in Holly Hughes' latest, "Best Food Writing of 2005" and immediately thought of this forum! This is taken from an article entitled "Two Americas, Two Restaurants, One Town" by Rebecca Skloot that was published in the New York Times Magazine. For those of you who have not read the article, in brief, it is about two restaurants in a tiny town called New Martinsville, W.V. - one, a locally-owned independent establishment named Baristas, the other, the chain restaurant Bob Evans.

The goal at every Bob Evans restaurant is to be the same as every other Bob Evans restaurant.  "We want to make sure the experience someone has in New Martinsville is the sames as the one they'd have in Orlando, St. Louis, or Baltimore," said Tammy Roberts Myers, the P.R. director at the Bob Evans headquarters in Columbus, Ohio.  The company's guiding principle is simple: consistency, in everything from ambience to the distance between tables to the arrangement of food on your plate.

"Going out to eat is risky," said Steve Govey, the Bob Evans regional manager for the Ohio Valley.  "You never know what you're going to get.  But at Bob Evans, that's not true.  Our strategy is being completely predictable, something people know they can count on."

When asked why they are regulars at Bob Evans yet have never tried Baristas, a New Martinsville couple:

...shrugged and said: "People say, 'Why do you only go to Myrtle Beach for vacation every year? Don't you want to see somewhere else?'  We never know what to say - we tried it, we know we like it, why risk spoiling our vacation somewhere new we might not like?"...

"The only reason we haven't gone [to Baristas] is really just negligence.

We were going to go there once," Daisy went on, "but a deer ran into the car."

:laugh:

When I asked other people why they chose Bob Evans over Baristas, most folks just smiled and shook their heads...

Thought you might enjoy that excerpt.... I would highly encourage you all to read the rest of the article, if you can get your hands on a copy.

Ulterior Epicure.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

My point is that the American public has been tricked, bamboozled, flimiflammed, sold a bill of goods that says that cooking is a chore, akin to laundry or wasing windows or taking out the trash - something to be avoided if possible then done grudgingly and apathetically when things you'd rather be doing are forced down the list of priorities.

But what's your answer to those of us who say we enjoy cooking very much but find it a chore at times? Do you think that's just not a reasonable standpoint?

I essentially learned how to cook because I moved to a place where the dining-out options were fairly undesirable. I know how to make dozens of easy-to-prepare meals, I understand full-well the powers of marketing and yet there are still times when I simply don't feel like cooking. And I don't feel bamboozled in the least. And in my case, deciding not to cook rarely lands me at a chain (not that there's anything wrong with that :wink:).

There is, in my mind, no correlation whatsover between not wanting to cook and being tricked into such a feeling. Saying as much implies that those who do not (want to) cook are somehow incapable of making intelligent decisions for themselves. Even in a venue like this one, we all have our own priorties and I'm not going to judge someone who'd rather spend their time doing something other than cooking. Yes, I'm more likely to cook than go out. That hardly makes me virtuous. It just is.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I completely agree, Ron. And I think everyone who's chimed in here cooks a lot and is not exclusively (or even mainly in some cases) interested in restaurant eating. Imagine having no interest in or talent for cooking. Just a tin ear for food, so to speak. I believe there are perfectly decent people who are that way, although it is hard to envision if it's a big part of your life the way it is for most of us in this discussion.

My sister is a fashion designer and she'll tell you you have no excuse for going out of the house looking less than sharp. But not fashionable, because you're a sucker if you buy from those stores that everyone goes to. Her view is, you've got to wear something every day, it's a sin for it to be uninteresting. Plus size? Don't have any money? No excuse; you can still do something about your clothes. Uh, OK.

It's sort of interesting to me (and if this gets into unacceptably political territory I'm sure I will soon be made aware of it) when a fairly lefty (anti-big-business, in any case) idea like slow food digs its heels so resolutely that it begins to sound so socially conservative. Yes, my grandmother spent loving hours stirring her pomegranate molasses, harvesting olives, raising ten children and a bunch of chickens on homemade breads but frankly that is a life I and most women are not willing to live anymore. I love to cook, make my own bread etc etc but I also enjoy having a job and getting out of the house once in a while. If that means eating out once in a while, even, god forbid, at a non-slow foods approved location then so be it. Have you considered that you are alienating your core audience with this kind of simplistic attitude? I'm sorry but the idea that someone who eats out occasionally because they don't feel like cooking that night somehow doesn't have the brains to withstand olive garden advertising is complete and utter condescending bullshit. Give this crowd a little more credit and maybe less people will be turned off by the message.

edit: kurt, we cross posted. I do get it, I really do, and my comments aren't directed at you specifically. I like forceful opinions as you can probably tell. It's just that after being in the midwest for a few years, I kind of also got a better sense of how the other half lives, and why. It will catch up, it is already starting but it needs time and patient nurturing.

The only exception I would take in regards to what you called "unacceptable political territory" is to characterize Slow Food as anti-big business. 2 reasons: 1st, we're not really "anti" anything. We harbor no grand illusion that we will someday put McDonalds or Monsanto out of business. We are simply so adamant in our support of sustainable cuisine and the tradition and culture of the table that we are desperate to mitigate the deliterious effects of the fast food culture.

2nd, nothing wrong with being big, there are actually several very large companies that produce products any Slow Food freak would be proud to consume and promote (Guiness and Tabasco leap to mind), but until the local Applebees performs a little closer to their motto of "eatin' good in the neighborhood" (poor grammar aside) by buying some fresh local food and/or actually preparing the meal on site, they're not gonna get my money.

Ron - my idea that the people have been "tricked" into going to Olive Garden the drive thru, etc. is admittedly a broad generalization and is not directed at any one person (especially not on this forum! :smile: ), but I believe there's a lot of truth to what was once said in a favorite movie:

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know that."

K, Men in Black

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

Confession: I can't cook. There, I've said it. Sure I can whip up some ok scrambled eggs, or I can grill you a hot dog or burger. But that's about it.

However, I'd still like to think that I can tell good food from bad and resist (when possible and appropriate) spending too much, if any, time at chains (not really a problem living in downtown Chicago anyway).

Edited to add: Yes, for me cooking IS a hassle. However, going out and eating great food is one of lifes greatest pleasures for me.

Edited by jesteinf (log)

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

Confession:  I can't cook.  There, I've said it.  Sure I can whip up some ok scrambled eggs, or I can grill you a hot dog or burger.  But that's about it. 

However, I'd still like to think that I can tell good food from bad and resist (when possible and appropriate) spending too much, if any, time at chains (not really a problem living in downtown Chicago anyway).

Edited to add:  Yes, for me cooking IS a hassle.  However, going out and eating great food is one of lifes greatest pleasures for me.

OMG, Ronnie, revoke this man's access immediately! :biggrin:

It's funny that we spent all of this time talking about whether it is a pleasure or a chore but never even considered the cooking-challenged. Do you at least have some funny "disaster" stories to back-up this outrageous claim? :laugh: I do know some people who, try as they may, don't seem to catch on to some of the basics on which all else is founded.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

OMG, Ronnie, revoke this man's access immediately!  :biggrin:

It's funny that we spent all of this time talking about whether it is a pleasure or a chore but never even considered the cooking-challenged.  Do you at least have some funny "disaster" stories to back-up this outrageous claim?  :laugh:  I do know some people who, try as they may, don't seem to catch on to some of the basics on which all else is founded.

Alright, be nice :wink:

No real disasters to speak of (although I did give myself food poisoning once at my own BBQ, but I blame the meat more than my cooking), but certainly no successes. At this point my theory is that I can't produce food as tasty as where I like to eat, so I might as well let them do the cooking for me. I'm happy to pay a premium for my inneptitude/laziness.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

OMG, Ronnie, revoke this man's access immediately!  :biggrin:

It's funny that we spent all of this time talking about whether it is a pleasure or a chore but never even considered the cooking-challenged.  Do you at least have some funny "disaster" stories to back-up this outrageous claim?   :laugh:  I do know some people who, try as they may, don't seem to catch on to some of the basics on which all else is founded.

Alright, be nice :wink:

No real disasters to speak of (although I did give myself food poisoning once at my own BBQ, but I blame the meat more than my cooking), but certainly no successes. At this point my theory is that I can't produce food as tasty as where I like to eat, so I might as well let them do the cooking for me. I'm happy to pay a premium for my inneptitude/laziness.

not that this digression hasn't been fun, but getting a little more back on topic: any favorite chains? per ronnie's request, i posted some of mine here.

as well, i posted an pertinent article excerpt above that i fear might have gotten overlook amidst the storm of comments and activity on this forum this afternoon. :raz:

cheers.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Alright, be nice  :wink:

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen! (Oh, I guess that was your whole point, sorry).

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Favorites lets see, hummmmmmm.

there is one Carraba's I go to because the grill man really knows how to cook a salmon filet medium rare.

Cheddars for a burger if I find myself stuck in the hell of 71st street traffic.

If I am at home in Florida, I have to go to Texas Road House, it is the only nonfast food in town and I have a cousins son who works there. Guilt.

I stopped at Arby;s to try their reuben sandwich, okay by McAlisters is better and McAlisters has great iced tea.

Otherwise, there is nothing I do regularly. I have my locally owned places that do me well.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

there is one Carraba's I go to because the grill man really knows how to cook a salmon filet medium rare.

never been to a carraba's - is that the one with vegetation on the roof?

Otherwise, there is nothing I do regularly.  I have my locally owned places that do me well.

me too - although i must admit, not usually a "sub" person - i prefer the (locally started) chain mr. goodcents... although their prices have started to veer upward (although i haven't eaten there in over five years...)... i suppose i'm not a very appropriate person to be commenting on chains... :sad:

[edited to add]: i have to admit my absolute favorite subs (it's in the bread) is the #12 (beach club) at jimmy johns - light on the mayo and heavy on the manufactured mushy avocado puree. :raz: i used to down one of those yummy subs every morning at 2am in college...

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

If I can count Lidia's I'll play along (the woman is a cottage industry, for heaven's sake, and if you throw in her kids it's more of a 'castello industry'). :cool: Also The Thai Place is taking on chain-like proportions (they have at least 4 locations and I think I've heard of a 5th far east of the state line but before you get to St Louis).

If not, I would seriously have to go back years. Oh, I did go to M&S for a birthday in August (b-day boy's wife bought) but we chronicled that a while back. No dire consequences but remorse from thinking about the wonderful meal we could have had for the same $$ elsewhere (here is an old thread where we unintentionally ruined poor KatieNell's b/f's birthday dinner...still feel badly about that but it wasn't mean-spirited, honest, Z and I had just both come-off of ho-hum experiences there).

See, my anti-chain thing isn't snobby...I avoid the high-end ones with the same enthusiasm as the middle- or low-end ones.

But I do have a question...I had honestly heard good things about whatever Mexican place was near Whole Foods (91st & Metcalf in OP, KS) and intended to try it but they closed before I ever made it. What was it and did they all close or just that location? Anyone know what happened there? Maybe everyone else was too full of WF samples to bother eating - that's what stopped me a time or two.

M.F.K. Fisher

I mentioned a few of my favorite chains upthread but I did fail to make a distinction between chains which started out as chains and chains which grew into their size. I'm not sure it's a relevant distinction because the King of all Chains, McDonalds started out, innocently enough, as a single-unit entity. Still, it's a decent way to make some basic distinctions between some entities.

Of course, being in Chicago, deep dish pizza is an essential part of life here. On that front, my very favorite, as I mentioned upthread, is Lou Malnati's: a chain. Of course, it started as one store and grew into what it is today. Their ingredients are outstanding and certain ones like their sausage and tomatoes are, IMO, the best in town. Pies are fairly consistent but not without variation. The outpost at which I do the most business is their Highland Park store. I think they turn out very consistent pies. They're only open for lunch on Friday and since my office is just 2 blocks away, we often partake.

Another smaller chain which I visit fairly often is Potbelly Sandwich Works. They turn out good-tasting sandwiches which are made on excellent, well-toasted bread. I can't say their meats are super high in quality but they are tasty. Same goes for their condiments which are pretty darned good. One thing they do is slice pickles extremely thin and lay them lengthwise along your sandwich. It's a very nice way to apply pickles to a sandwich. Their gardeniera is not the best but it's distinctive and their dusseldorf mustard is really tasty. Their sandwiches are relatively small but they are priced accordingly.

A glance at their site reveals that they have locations in 9 states. Last time I checked, they were in 2 states, plus DC, iirc. That wasn't too long ago. I wonder if their quality will dip (or has dipped) or if they will find a way to maintain it. What I know about the chain sandwich segment doesn't make optimistic. The ironic part about my appreciation of Potbelly's is that there is a great-looking, independently-owned Sub shop very near my house -- closer even than Potbelly's. I love sandwiches and Sub shops are hard to find around here. But, the place is so meh, I almost never go there.

Other than KFC, fried chicken chains make complete sense to me. It's tough to make it well, requires a lot of work and attention, and can be very messy to make at home. Popeyes and a local chain, Brown's Chicken, turn out great bird and their sides are tasty too (Popeyes side are better than Browns, IMO). I'll be the first to admit that fast food fried chicken is, relatively speaking, absolute crap but when you're in the mood, you're in the mood.

Breakfast is an area in which I'm probably in the vast minority. I like it very straight-forward; bacon or sausage, eggs, hash browns or good grits and toast. I want it slung at me -- not served -- and I want it as greasy as possible. Surprisingly, at many chains, this type of comination is easy to find :wink:

I can't remember if it was in this thread or another where someone mentioned Waffle House. Well, I've loved my few experiences at Waffle House. Figuring that Denny's would be about the same, I tried it last year (while on vacation in AZ with the family) and thought it was absolutely horrible. How is it possible to ruin such simple food? I'm not sure but Denny's managed to do it. Every single item on my plate tasted "off." The hash browns had been "flavored" with something horrible. I've enjoyed breakfast at Old Country Buffet a number of times. There I usually have some poached eggs, an english muffin, a few slices of bacon (not very good bacon, I'll admit) maybe a sausage link or two and a couple of those Arby's-esque potato cakes, which are just perfect with eggs. Breakfast at the local diner in my town is okay but the food there isn't much better than at OCB and there's often a wait. Still, breakfast out is usually something that happens when I am away from home. Otherwise, I usually end up cooking it myself.

With probably very few exceptions, we all indulge our entry-level fast food cravings from time to time. I'll eat at Wendy's or McDonalds when its all but unavoidable but Burger King is where I draw the line. I'm just not into the place. I actually love White Castle but there isn't one within 20 miles of my house, so we don't have it very often.

Again, I don't visit a lot of QSR's because I don't travel very often for business and I live in a market where there are tons of other options. Still, when I am somewhere new, I always want to try the local and regional chains. When I first "discovered" Popeyes, that's exactly what it was -- and I was living in New Orleans at the time. No Chick-Fil-A's in Chicago (or very few, anyway), so I had to hit the one near my SIL's house in Denver. Same with Sonic -- had to give it whirl. Stuck in 21" of snow in Cheyenne, holed up at the Holiday Inn, it was pure delight to have an open and operating Taco's John's across the street from the hotel. Those potato ole's they sell are just fantastic . . . best I've ever had! I wish I could find them near home :smile:

=R=

Yes, Carraba's is the one with the sky high garden, what is that all about anyway, I guess I should ask some texas friends since that is where the chain started. But as to the grill man, I only go to one, I tried the other one (we have two restaurants here) and the food was less than adequate. I really do dislike an overcooked salmon. some guys just don't understand plus I lived in the Great Pacific Northwet too long. enough of that tirade.

Should I consider Dean and Deluca a chain? I don't leave KC (okay, OP) (I feel so in the know to be able to type OP and know where that is) without a stop there for delicacies like Breasaola(did I get close with the spelling) , thinly sliced, which I otherwise have to order from Philly, and my road food, the turkey and brie sandwich or the hero. Love them both. Oh, and a large coffee, black. This makes the drive back home more fun. I don't have to stop anywhere between there and here.

On occasion i will stop at Sonic, a grown in Oklahoma chain, for tater tots. love me some of those on rare occasions. The extreme tater tots must be a zillion calories. I tried another Tulsa chain, Rib Crib, and didn't go back. yuck. Last weekend I went to Stutts BBQ up in the north side of town, that was good, the st louis ribs and the little buttermilk pie that comes with every dinner. The hot links were also good. No need to do chain BBQ's here.

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

A chain that I enjoy very much (started in Colorado, I believe) is Planet Sub, which keeps popping up all over town and is the same thing as Yello Sub out in Lawrence. To me it's like a much better version if Quizno's with a larger selection of ingredients. The Beefeater and the Super Hero......two of my favorites. And their daily soups are good too.

I'll count Pizza Shoppe as a chain. They are only in this area I believe, but there are just so many of them. I love the super thin crust, and the neon pink garlic salad dressing.

For national chains, when I feel like spending a lot of money I love The Capital Grille. I know that KC is a steak town, and after trying almost all of them, sorry for causing any agonized gasps for saying that this national chain serves my favorite steak in town (and my favorite calamari). I did enjoy The Majestic's steak a LOT, but after a couple of very bad experiences with the service I won't go back. And I do owe Plaza III another try to be honest, haven't been there in several years.

For solid, mid-range eats, I'm NOT going to wait an hour to eat there but The Cheesecake Factory is a guilty pleasure of mine. The crowds keep me away, which is probably best health-wise, but I do like getting a few people together and heading to the one on the Plaza during off-hours. I work out near the newer one on 119th, and I know for a while even the lunchtime wait for a table was over an hour.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

In K.C., there's also Jason's Deli (I think that's the name?)

Yes, Jason's Deli is a favorite around the office. There's one out here off of 119th, and another one on 91st and Metcalf I believe. I don't think I've ever tried it, but I do see the football sized baked potatoes being forklifted into conference rooms quite often.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I am fond of a north suburban Chicago chain of stores called Foodstuffs which offers ready-made food at outrageous prices. It has all what I consider the merits of a chain. They make the same things over and over. Some of the stuff is so-so (especially for the price) and some is dependably good. You can get schedules of what they are serving on any day of the week. They have a good number of foods with Weight Watchers points and/or "carb" counts. It seems like I can always get a decent lunch there although I wouldn't want to every day. To be fair, this is a tiny chain and I can't imagine them expanding beyond the one area because the food is mainly cooked fresh; even the frozen stuff looks made in small batches.

In a way, the deli and ready-made food section of Whole Foods is a chain, isn't it? Unlike Foodstuffs, I would not consider that a dependable place to get lunch every day though.

We have a Jason's in Wichita, too, and I love their muffaletta (sp?) sandwiches. They're probably not comparable to what one could get in New Orleans, but there's nothing else in town like them.

I also noticed a Planet Sub on North Rock Road this morning when I was in the neighborhood. Haven't tried them out yet.

Lawrence, watch out, you're about to get the first non-Wichita Spangles. It's a local hamburger chain. The only remarkable thing on the menu is their orange juice slushes. I never grow tired of them. And their bagles with eggs/cheese/bacon etc. are pretty good, especially for fast food.

If not, I would seriously have to go back years.  Oh, I did go to M&S for a birthday in August (b-day boy's wife bought) but we chronicled that a while back.  No dire consequences but remorse from thinking about the wonderful meal we could have had for the same $$ elsewhere (here is an old thread where we unintentionally ruined poor KatieNell's b/f's birthday dinner...still feel badly about that but it wasn't mean-spirited, honest, Z and I had just both come-off of ho-hum experiences there).

Oh, it wasn't ruined... don't feel bad! While the birthday dinner I made him another night was much better, it was still a good time... as I think I said in that thread... good company, good wine, yada yada, yada... :smile:

I don't know if it's just that I'm not as informed as everyone else, but I'm not always aware that something is a chain until I go on a website or I actually go to the restaurant. I wasn't aware that M&S was a chain until I posted that first time about it, and the reservations had already been made, etc., etc. I guess I'm still learning!

It's nice to know that ulterior epicure, Zeemanb, and joiei are somewhat normal too... I thought they only ate at 1924 Main, bluestem, etc.!!! :wink: Shocking!

I, too, enjoy Macaroni Grill and Cheesecake Factory, although, I personally think their cheesecake is AWFUL! The food is all great, from what I've had, but terrible cheesecake! I also love Panera as I've mentioned before. I'm surprised that everyone likes Carraba's, b/c we had terrible food and service the time we were there... how does one mess up shrimp scampi?!? Let's see, what else? I think J. Alexander's is pretty good... that's a chain, right? The smoked salmon dip there is excellent. And I also like a cheesesteak from Pepperjax! I think that's about it for ones that I really enjoy going to, but it's nice to know that some of you are everyday people after all! :wink:

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

We have a Jason's in Wichita, too, and I love their muffaletta (sp?) sandwiches.  They're probably not comparable to what one could get in New Orleans, but there's nothing else in town like them.

I also noticed a Planet Sub on North Rock Road this morning when I was in the neighborhood.  Haven't tried them out yet.

Lawrence, watch out, you're about to get the first non-Wichita Spangles.  It's a local hamburger chain.  The only remarkable thing on the menu is their orange juice slushes.  I never grow tired of them.  And their bagles with eggs/cheese/bacon etc. are pretty good, especially for fast food.

Not a big fan of Jason's Deli, but I haven't tried the muffaletta sandwich, so next time I get dragged there...

Planet Sub is very good... try the creamy club!

I'm afraid Topeka beat them on the Spangles invasion! They are taking over the town... the first went up a little over a year ago, and then another, and then another... I think there's a plan for 5! (I had an egg sandwich there once in Wichita about 6 years ago, and the egg was not done, and I have not been back... can't deal!) :wacko:

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

I am fond of a north suburban Chicago chain of stores called Foodstuffs which offers ready-made food at outrageous prices. It has all what I consider the merits of a chain. They make the same things over and over. Some of the stuff is so-so (especially for the price) and some is dependably good. You can get schedules of what they are serving on any day of the week. They have a good number of foods with Weight Watchers points and/or "carb" counts.  It seems like I can always get a decent lunch there although I wouldn't want to every day. To be fair, this is a tiny chain and I can't imagine them expanding beyond the one area because the food is mainly cooked fresh; even the frozen stuff looks made in small batches.

In a way, the deli and ready-made food section of Whole Foods is a chain, isn't it? Unlike Foodstuffs, I would not consider that a dependable place to get lunch every day though.

I enjoy Foodstuffs too. But I agree with you that it's so small it's almost not right to consider it a chain. I also agree that they turn out some great products and some not-so-great ones, as well. Their cold, boiled shrimp are the best I've eaten in the Chicago area but at $18/pound, they really should be. Some of their basic, ready-to-eat side dishes can cost upward of $8-$10 pound. That's a steep price when you're buying pre-cooked mashed potatoes or wild rice. The place is, for lack of a better description, part grocery, part deli, part gourmet food and wine shop.

I love their signature, roasted red pepper dip. I've had dozens of varieties of this item over the years and their's is the absolute best, IMO. I also like the fact that they publish a weekly menu, so you know when a favorite item will be available. I think their breads are amazing but I'm honestly not sure if they're made in-house or not. Their sandwiches are also pretty tasty as are some of their pastries and confections. Overall, they have a lot to offer and it's even, on occasion, a "go-to" spot for certain high-end or off-beat ingredients too.

=R=

Coincidence of coincidences…….. Got a call from a friend of mine to come have lunch at……..the Cheesecake Factory out on 119th. Apparently the secret is to get there even earlier than you think necessary. We got there before 11:30 and cars were literally backed up waiting to get into the parking lot. You have to admire the operation in there, with a huge foyer full of people they manage to keep people moving fast, fast, fast, until the place is filled to capacity. A "factory" in every sense of the word..churn 'em in and churn 'em out. The décor is nice while at the same time being functional/industrial enough that they could probably just hose down the floors at night, run a squeegee over them and be done. It's such a high volume, busy room that the peppy, cheerful and impersonal service is really the only option…..totally by the book. And the upside of cookie cutter service is that we were never overlooked at any point for anything. Not a lot of "selling"...no hard selling carryout cheesecake when you say you're too full, things I appreciate. Honestly, you could do a whole lot worse for service when it comes to a lunch rush….whether you're at a chain or not.

Foodwise, decent but definitely not a great value. You get a ton of food, but it's not a bargain in any sense of the word. Good, fresh out of the fryer calamari with two dipping sauces, a humongous crabcake sandwich that was a little too blah for its massive size, and a fried shrimp platter of the spiced batter dipped variety. Everything was good, but they have pretty terrible fries. Again, a metric ton of them, but that does you no good when they are almost cold and rank somewhere between Burger King and Wendy's. One app, two entrees (ice water to drink….comes in a plastic mug btw, kind of weird) for about $40 without tip….definitely a splurge at lunchtime. If I took my girlfriend for dinner and paid the full tab, considering we'd both probably have a drink, an app between us, two entrees and carryout cheesecake…..you're easily getting into $100 territory, which opens up your dining options considerably in this city. Plus, at dinner you're going to wait for a long time in a huge herd of people for a table, that is if you can find a place to park. I'd still rank Cheesecake Factory up there as a dependable and decent chain, kind of like a deluxe TGIF's without all the crap on the walls. Awesome for a lunch splurge or hangover meal, but no place to put into regular rotation.

I truly miss the chain that used to be in that space…Too Jay's. It was a table service deli style restaurant based in Boca I believe. Matzoh ball soup, chopped liver, reubens, stuff you can never have too much of and is in short supply in this town. It was usually always busy, and I thought it was here to stay. Unfortunately, from what I understand the owner was also the owner of most of the local Hooter's and had to dump the Too Jay's lease because of legal difficulties. I do miss that place.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I'd still rank Cheesecake Factory up there as a dependable and decent chain, kind of like a deluxe TGIF's without all the crap on the walls.  Awesome for a lunch splurge ..., but no place to put into regular rotation. 

i second that.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I'd still rank Cheesecake Factory up there as a dependable and decent chain, kind of like a deluxe TGIF's without all the crap on the walls.  Awesome for a lunch splurge ..., but no place to put into regular rotation. 

i second that.

Wow. I have had 2 experiences there (both work-related) which put them among the most aggregious offenders of chain syndrome. Dependable, yes. Decent, not-so-much.

Took reservations but would not seat us until entire party was present. If entire party was not present within 10 minutes, they would give the table away. Taking into account Plaza parking, essentially they were saying all 12 of you better leave work an hour before your res, just to make sure you accomodate our policies. Taking into account the salaries of those present (and, no, mine wouldn't make a dent one way or the other), that would make chartering a helicopter seem reasonable.

Gave us a bleeping electronic thing (kinda like Martha had to wear on her ankle for 90 days) to summon us from the patio when our exalted table was ready.

Their portions are absurd. I mean really. I have nothing against leftovers but if they weren't entirely about reaching into your wallet, they would offer two portion sizes or allow splits without penalty. A restaurant that sends everyone out the door with a grocery-sized bag full of plastic is overcompensating for something, IMHO.

If my boss made it a condition of continued employment I wouldn't go back. Seriously.

M.F.K. Fisher