• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The merits of chain dining in the Heartland

Guilty as I may be of whipping a dead horse, I came across this item today in re: what I said earlier about many people's fear of the unknown. Just had to share:

Do you have second thoughts when ordering a strange-sounding dish at an exotic restaurant? Afraid you'll get fricasseed eye of newt, or something even worse? If you do, it's because certain neurons in the brain are saying that the potential reward for the risk is unknown. These regions of the brain have now been pinpointed by experimental economists at the California Institute of Technology and the University of Iowa College of Medicine.

In the December 9 issue of the journal Science, Caltech's Axline Professor of Business Economics Colin Camerer and his colleagues report on a series of experiments involving Caltech student volunteers and patients with specific types of brain damage at the University of Iowa. The object of the experiments was to see how the brain responded to degrees of economic uncertainty by having the test subjects make wagers while being scanned by a functional magnetic resonance imager (fMRI).

Read the whole story here

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

Wow.  I have had 2 experiences there (both work-related) which put them among the most aggregious offenders of chain syndrome.  Dependable, yes.  Decent, not-so-much....

Their portions are absurd.  I mean really.  I have nothing against leftovers but if they weren't entirely about reaching into your wallet, they would offer two portion sizes or allow splits without penalty.  A restaurant that sends everyone out the door with a grocery-sized bag full of plastic is overcompensating for something, IMHO.

judy.

your observations are fair (and accurate - although a little loaded :laugh:), but i would have to say, cheesecake factory's prices aren't that outrageous - especially compared to other chains - who will leave you with no leftovers, and often, less satisfaction, consistency and quality - many come to mind - enough that i would choose cheesecake over nearly all of the chains (in its category/level) out there.

If my boss made it a condition of continued employment...

yikes - that's a scary thought! :wacko:

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

If I'm dining at one of the places with gargantuan portions (Maggiano's, Cheesecake Factory, etc.) I'll either split something with someone at the table or count on having lunch the next day from the leftovers. When the former happens, often times the server will stand there looking hurt, but that's really not my problem.

...so, i thought i'd throw a twist in this discussion:

have any of you ever unknowingly visited a chain and was impressed by the food - enough to have considered it a worthy restaurant for you to re-visit often - only to find out later that the restaurant is one of many, dozens, even hundreds around the globe? if so, i'd be curious to know how your initial reaction/evaluation of the restaurant was/wasn't changed by this post-dining discovery?

ulterior epicure

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

If I'm dining at one of the places with gargantuan portions (Maggiano's, Cheesecake Factory, etc.)  I'll either split something with someone at the table or count on having lunch the next day from the leftovers.  When the former happens, often times the server will stand there looking hurt, but that's really not my problem.

great point gmi3804 - the split plate option is a great way to go at these joints. as well, cheesecake does offer "1/2 portions" on their salads at a lower cost.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I love their signature, roasted red pepper dip.  .

Ditto.

That is one of their products that is often labeled as being made with lower fat or lower calorie mayonnaise. Have you got any idea what they use for that? I really like those products, and I don't even like mayonnaise from a jar, in fact I hate it. I love their diet chicken salads and have totally given up on trying to duplicate them at home.

I love their signature, roasted red pepper dip.  .

Ditto.

That is one of their products that is often labeled as being made with lower fat or lower calorie mayonnaise. Have you got any idea what they use for that? I really like those products, and I don't even like mayonnaise from a jar, in fact I hate it. I love their diet chicken salads and have totally given up on trying to duplicate them at home.

No clue whatsoever. I'll bet it's no secret, it's just that I've never bothered to ask. I'm with you on their salads, too. Even though I didn't think I would, I love their chicken salad with the craisin-like, dried sour cherries in it (called Polly's, I think). And the Courtney's Tuna Salad (low-fat too, iirc) is truly awesome and possibly my fave rendition of all time.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I'm going to try to ask them about the mayo next time there's a familiar face around. They do seem quite forthcoming about stuff. Once I asked them how a certain kind of beer was and they opened a bottle for me.

If I'm dining at one of the places with gargantuan portions (Maggiano's, Cheesecake Factory, etc.)  I'll either split something with someone at the table or count on having lunch the next day from the leftovers.  When the former happens, often times the server will stand there looking hurt, but that's really not my problem.

great point gmi3804 - the split plate option is a great way to go at these joints. as well, cheesecake does offer "1/2 portions" on their salads at a lower cost.

u.e.

Yes, but only at lunch. And they're STILL huge. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that the cheesecake at CF is not made onsite. I defend The Cheesecake Factory and Maggiano's because the food is actually made onsite, unlike Bennigan's or The Olive Garden, where most of the food arrives onsite already prepared.

I think what it, er, boils down to for me is the freshness of the ingredients and the hand of the chef in the preparation. Chipotle and Baja Fresh, for example, are chains and fast food places, yet I go regularly because it's REAL food that's prepared before my eyes. I don't mind chain restaurants as long as there's a goodly amount of quality and the marketing huckstering is not too transparent: a zombie-like query of, "Would you like to try one of our Bloomin' Onions or Loaded Cheese Fries or a Wallaby Darned?" offends me a lot more than, "Would you like an appetizer or drink to start off?"

It's nice to know that ulterior epicure, Zeemanb, and joiei are somewhat normal too...

Katie,

You slipped this under my radar. So now the tables have turned and I'm abnormal because I won't eat at chains? LOL. :biggrin:

I guess it's true...the best defense is a good offense. :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

It's nice to know that ulterior epicure, Zeemanb, and joiei are somewhat normal too...

Katie,

You slipped this under my radar. So now the tables have turned and I'm abnormal because I won't eat at chains? LOL. :biggrin:

she slipped that in under my radar as well :laugh: ! OF COURSE, i'm "normal" - whatever that means - although, if you do read my posts closely, you'll notice that i haven't eaten at a fast food restaurant in over 4 years or so... really - that's not so normal... actually, katie's right - i do only eat at places like bluestem and 1924 main these days... i haven't stepped foot into a chain store since chipotle - circa 2001. :wink:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I'll say this for places like PF Chang and Cheesecake Factory-- they have fun cocktails and the bars are comfortable to sit in, as I've discovered when accompanying tireless shoppers to the Woodfield Mall. I have a Sex in the City type drink and an appetizer while waiting. Appetizers are pretty forgettable but not vile.

Edited by Tess (log)

I'll say this for places like PF Chang and Cheesecake Factory-- they have fun cocktails and the bars are comfortable to sit in, as I've discovered when accompanying tireless shoppers to the Woodfield Mall. I have a Sex in the City type drink and an appetizer while waiting. Appetizers are pretty forgettable but not vile.

I said I wouldn't go back if it were a condition of employment but, if you told me Alexander Petrovsky might happen by, that would be a different story. :wub:

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Judy, I think your biggest problem with chains is that the bartenders don't scare quite as easily and send the chef running out with a cheese plate you've forced them to throw together. :rolleyes:

And wow, I can't remember the last time I was referred to as "normal"......

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I'm pretty sure that the cheesecake at CF is not made onsite.

i don't eat cheesecake - and never had at c.f., but i'll bet your absolutely right on this point.

I defend The Cheesecake Factory and Maggiano's because the food is actually made onsite, unlike Bennigan's or The Olive Garden, where most of the food arrives onsite already prepared...

I think what it, er, boils down to for me is the freshness of the ingredients and the hand of the chef in the preparation.  Chipotle and Baja Fresh, for example, are chains and fast food places, yet I go regularly because it's REAL food that's prepared before my eyes.

i agree whole-heartedly. like george, my experiences at all of the chains he mentions is that they seem to actually make the food on-site... from fresh produce and ingredients (although they may not be organic... at least they're fresh, look fresh, and taste fresh).

I don't mind chain restaurants as long as there's a goodly amount of quality and the marketing huckstering is not too transparent:  a zombie-like query of, "Would you like to try one of our Bloomin' Onions or Loaded Cheese Fries or a Wallaby Darned?" offends me a lot more than, "Would you like an appetizer or drink to start off?"

it's like walking in to a very well known clothing chain: "would you like to add a burnished belt-buckle belt, or a pair of ultra-comfy holiday boxers? how about one of our hand-knit Australian organic wool mittens? they're on sale for just

$99.99." :laugh:

no, thanks for pointing out all the gimmicks, but i'm an adult, and i know what i do and do not want.

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Katie,

I wondered if I was going to get caught there for a while! :wink: No, I guess not abnormal, I just wish I could afford to and had the time to eat at all the wonderful places you guys eat... I guess it's just jealousy! Some day! (where's the daydreaming smiley?!?)

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Okay, okay... poor choice of words, but you know what I mean... I think!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Judy, I think your biggest problem with chains is that the bartenders don't scare quite as easily and send the chef running out with a cheese plate you've forced them to throw together.  :rolleyes:

First of all, he didn't look even a little bit afraid. Second, had we been in one of your favoritest [sic] chain places, do you think for a moment the chef (or anyone) would have taken the time and trouble to work off of the menu to accomodate someone's wishes? Third, that was not thrown-together; it was well conceived and nicely presented and you owe Cody an apology.

That's probably because it has never happened before (nor will it likely ever happen again). :raz:

M.F.K. Fisher

No, I guess not abnormal, I just wish I could afford to and had the time to eat at all the wonderful places you guys eat... I guess it's just jealousy!  Some day!  (where's the daydreaming smiley?!?)

Did you miss my pathetic tale upthread about subsisting on homemade pasta with a mere splash of olive oil (domestic, at that) and a sprinkling of cheese?

Actually that reminds me of an amusing anecdote. We were discussing (what else?) food and restaurants last evening when my s.o. made the unfortunate statement "...I mean, you wouldn't want to eat at bluestem every night..." Another Society member and I, in unison (and probably more loudly than the distance between us really required, now that I think of it in the light of day), promptly set him straight on the blasphemous nature of his unfortunate utterance.

Heh, heh...bet he won't say anything that crazy around us again. Imagine! :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher

Did you miss my pathetic tale upthread about subsisting on homemade pasta with a mere splash of olive oil (domestic, at that) and a sprinkling of cheese?

what's wrong with that? :unsure: i don't know how good of a pasta-maker you are, but i don't consider that pathetic... now, if you were to tell me you subsisted off of chef boyardee with a splash of tabasco (very domestic) and a sprinkling of canned parmesan, then i might take some pity... :laugh:

(katie - this post is for you - just to prove to you even more that i'm "just normal" - though i do tend to eat out very well :wink:).

u.e.

[edited for multiple grammatical and spelling faux pas]

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I don't know if it's just that I'm not as informed as everyone else, but I'm not always aware that something is a chain until I go on a website or I actually go to the restaurant.  I wasn't aware that M&S was a chain until I posted that first time about it, and the reservations had already been made, etc., etc.  I guess I'm still learning!

Katie, here's an exercise to help you build-up your "chain detection" skills. I just noticed this list of 9 new tenants announced for the already-over-the-top Legends at Village West. Some are not restos, so they're "gimmes," but let's see how you do on the rest. :wink:

From the KC Business Journal:

Hash House a Go Go, Margarita Mama's, Harry and David, Cantina #1, Panera Bread, Estee Lauder, The Buckle, Ultra Diamonds and Culver's

And I am sure that Ronnie, our ever-suffering moderator, will be delighted that we have some new horses to flog. I have to do some research but I think we're getting close to "longest thread not counting Alinea" and such a worthy topic! :rolleyes:

M.F.K. Fisher

I should give a plug to Marrakesh Cafe in Rosana Square on 119th St., because it's a great affordable option if you're looking for local food at lunchtime.

It's a buffet (easy to go overboard for your $8.99...drink included) and the homemade food is constantly replenished......"build your own" gyros, hummus, falafel, baba ghannouj, daily lamb and fish specials, good biryani, baklava, and they bring warm pita bread to the table when you sit down. I've had lunch there twice and it's always hopping but there has never been a wait for a table. The owners are very friendly, and other than needing to eat a whole tin of Altoids on the way back to the office, I had no complaints. Stuck out on the corridor of the generic and the spiceless, it's worth stopping by to support them and have a satisfying meal.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I don't know if it's just that I'm not as informed as everyone else, but I'm not always aware that something is a chain until I go on a website or I actually go to the restaurant.  I wasn't aware that M&S was a chain until I posted that first time about it, and the reservations had already been made, etc., etc.  I guess I'm still learning!

Katie, here's an exercise to help you build-up your "chain detection" skills. I just noticed this list of 9 new tenants announced for the already-over-the-top Legends at Village West. Some are not restos, so they're "gimmes," but let's see how you do on the rest. :wink:

From the KC Business Journal:

Hash House a Go Go, Margarita Mama's, Harry and David, Cantina #1, Panera Bread, Estee Lauder, The Buckle, Ultra Diamonds and Culver's

And I am sure that Ronnie, our ever-suffering moderator, will be delighted that we have some new horses to flog. I have to do some research but I think we're getting close to "longest thread not counting Alinea" and such a worthy topic! :rolleyes:

Ooh... a test... I like this! Okay, here goes nothing, (and I'm not going to cheat and use the internet!)

Hash House a Go Go- I'm going to say not chain, b/c a name that absurb surely couldn't survive as a chain!

Margarita Mama's- I'm going to go with chain, though I've never heard of it, but it reminds me of Fuddrucker's or Emerson Biggins for some reason!

Harry and David- obviously a chain

Cantina #1- going to go with chain again, lame name

Panera- obviously one of my favorite chains

Estee Lauder- chain

The Buckle- chain

Ultra Diamonds- uhh... not a chain?

Culver's- chain/ franchise?

Okay, I hope that wasn't a trick question and you're not going to go into a big long tangent on franchise, corporately owned, blah, blah, blah... just kidding!! Learn me teach! :wink:

:laugh: ... and people wonder why, despite all of my travels to exotic places, i always find myself coming back to the heartland! :wub: you all CRACKS ME UP!! Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

...so, piggy-backing off of another thread, i'm taking the liberty to ask you (who are familiar with) whether pb&j counts as a "chain?"

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account