• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

planning my indian menu

LaNiña

I've been cooking Indian food with great enthusiasm, and if I may say so, success, for a number of years. I had an Indian/Israeli boyfriend (born in Bombay, grew up in Israel) with whom I lived for many years, and during that time I worked very hard to get my Indian food to a certain level. We visited his relatives a lot, too, and I collected recipes from the Aunties over a long period.

So here's what I'm thinking for this particular dinner:

dahi batata puri (delicious and makes for a fun activity, too)

shrimp with dill and ginger

buttered saffron basmati rice (which I bake)

sweet and sour tomato & raisin chutney (from Madhur Jaffrey - it's fantastic)

raita

salad - just cucumbers, tomatoes, scallion, cilantro, oil, lemon juice, salt & pepper

cauliflower with onion and tomato

some onion relish on the side, probably onions soaked in vinegar

fruit salad or perhaps an apple clafouti with vanilla ice cream

chai

The only thing I'm not sure about is the cauliflower. I'm thinking a green bean dish would be better.

What say you all?

I have attempted Indian desserts, but without a great deal of success. And there doesn't seem to be much of a reason - it's a lot of work and there are such really good ones available all around me to buy.

I love Jaffrey's tomato chutney, too.  I have a big jar of it in my refrigerator rght now.  It goes with everything.

I have read many references to Jaffrey's tomato chutney on eGullet. I hate to sound stupid but am wondering, is this a product that you purchase or prepare from Jaffrey's recipe?

If it is the latter, can you tell me where I can find the recipe?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I love Jaffrey's tomato chutney, too.  I have a big jar of it in my refrigerator rght now.  It goes with everything.

I have read many references to Jaffrey's tomato chutney on eGullet. I hate to sound stupid but am wondering, is this a product that you purchase or prepare from Jaffrey's recipe?

If it is the latter, can you tell me where I can find the recipe?

The recipe is in her book "An Invitation to Indian Cooking." I make it all the time - always have a jar of it handy. It's easy to make and always great.

Nina,

Do you make your rice with some crust on the bottom, like thinly-sliced potatoes?

I remember the similar recipe by Madhur Jaffrey from F&W magazine: she said it's her best pilaf ( it has a layer of green beans & tomatoes in the middle...)

I make that kind of rice when I make Persian food - it's called "tadik" - and I do it sometimes with the thing slices of potato on the bottom, and sometimes without. Always with saffron.

I'm cooking for myself and one other person, but I always make way too much food, because the leftovers are wonderful. I can always freeze some too, for another time.

It's not so time-consuming, really. The chutney's made, the raita takes 5 minutes, so does the onion relish. The salad takes maybe 10 minutes. The rice takes about 10 minutes of prep (cleaning, soaking, par-boiling), since it's done in the oven. The cauliflower (or green beans) is probably about 20 minutes and them some simmer time, and the shrimp the same. The pani puri takes some doing - but I'll probably take the easy way out and buy the shells themselvse. Making the fillings is no big deal. If I make a clafouti, that's probably about 15 minutes of prep (peeling, sauteeing the apples, making the batter), then the baking.

What takes the time is the fuss I make - I set an elaborate table, use lots of serving dishes, some of which will invariably need polishing, things like that. But that's half the fun

:rolleyes:

I have found that it is possible to make an impressive, copious and delicious Indian meal with less effort than would be required for other cuisines. For that reason, when I used to entertain much more than I do now, one of my favorite dinner parties was a multi-course Indian banquet.

Nina

for a great indian dessert simply mix a good whole milk yoghurt with a little rosewater and a handful of chopped pistachio's. Chill for a couple of hours.

As simple as it sounds but the taste is lovely and refreshing after a meal of complex tastes which a good indian meal is

for the cauliflower, try a bengali dish which is simple. just fry some onion seed ( Kalonji ) and some fennel seed in oil with a little tumeric. Add the collie in small florets along with a tablespoon of water. cover and simmer for 5 mins.

Er that's it. Wonderful with fish dishes

S

1 lb of okra or green beans.

1 medium onion, slivered (peel, then cut lengthwise)

1 tablespoon ground cumin

salt and pepper

3 tablespoons of oil or clarified butter

Heat 3 tablespoons of oil or butter in a large frying pan. When oil is hot, add the onions and salt and sitr-fry until golden brown. Add the okra or beans, ad cumin. Continue to cook until the vegetables are tender. Add pepper. You may need to add a few drops of water from time to time and will need to adjust the heat to avoid burning. Cook until all liquid has evaporated.

That's it. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

This is adapted from the Time-Life book,

The Cooking of India

I think you should head for the green beans. If you go with the cauli dish you'll have tomato in 3 dishes. That's not the end of the world, but it's nice to get contrast in.

How about green beans sauteed with mustard seed and desiccated coconut?

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

Sorry your feast was cancelled. For next time, two suggestions- being from the Subcontinent myself, I cannot imagine Indian/Pakistani food without a serving of dahl (lentils).

As for green beans, you should saute them with potates with some groud roasted cumin. Sprinkle a little bit of chat masala and coriander before serving.

Well folks, due to circumstances beyond our control, our scheduled Indian feast will not be taking place this weekend.  But stay tuned for rescheduling.  Thanks for all your input.

Nina - What do YOU serve your guests to drink when you prepare curry?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm not Nina, but I'll jump in anyway.  I usually serve the guests a cava or other methode champenoise wine, somethimes dropping in a sugar cube soaked with bitters and calling it "champagne cocktail."

I'm always happy to see you jumping in, Miz Sandra.

Thanks.

It is a quandry for me. But I love that idea! Do you serve that to drink with the meal, throughout the meal?

No, but it might actually work, although I don't like wine with Indian food. I always have lots of water on the table and offer something non-alcoholic, like iced tea (unsweetened, with fruit squeezed in -- iced tea sangria, a house specialty), beer and dry hard cider. A not too dry sparkling wine would be good.

BTW, I offer pappadums with the aperitif and not just for Indian meals.