• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cardamom in cookies

Randi

I am planning on making cookies that call for 1/4 tsp of cardamom, but I was only able to find the whole pods.

I am wondering if I use my mortar and pestle to grind the seeds - will they be stronger in flavor and should I cut back on the amount I use in the recipe?

I am new to cardamom, so any advice would be welcome.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Randi, this should help..

It was one of a gazillion sites discovered with a quick google search, so you should be fine.

P.S. I am using this to plug the cardamom pistachio cookies I made from the Cookie Swap on Il Forno. (See Christmas Cookie thread.) Sooooooooooo good!!!!!

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I almost never have ground cardamom on hand, but always have tons of pods. I grind the seeds in a mortar and pestle, or better yet, in my spice grinder, and use whatever amount was originally called for. The scent and flavor are just incredible when you grind it fresh.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I made cardamom butter cookies with an espresso and dark chocolate drizzle this year, and I would also recommend using the fresh ground spice. The flavor and aroma is incredible. You shouldn't need to cut back on the amount, infact I increased mine a little. Fantastic.

I almost never have ground cardamom on hand, but always have tons of pods. I grind the seeds in a mortar and pestle, or better yet, in my spice grinder, and use whatever amount was originally called for. The scent and flavor are just incredible when you grind it fresh.

If using a spice grinder, do you remove the seeds first, or just chuck the whole pods in?

Thanks,

Geoff Ruby

I grind only the seeds. The outside of the pod doesn't really have much flavor and is very woody, even ground.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

P.S.  I am using this to plug the cardamom pistachio cookies I made from the Cookie Swap on Il Forno.  (See Christmas Cookie thread.) Sooooooooooo good!!!!!

hehe...this was one of the 2 recipes I snagged that use cardamom! They look gorgeous!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

I only have a mortar and pestle, so I guess that's what I'll do.

Thanks for the advice!

Grinding them with a mortar and pestle isn't the quickest way, but it's really good for smaller amounts. Just make sure to clean everything out well afterwards, since the scent and flavor of cardamom really lingers (not that this is in any way a bad thing in general!).

Kathy