• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef Rob Feenie Sighting

Hi,

My first post so go easy on me.

Oh my god I think I have gone to Chef heaven.!!!!!!!! Today I went shopping at Costco in Richmond and who do I spot while perusing the books??????? None other then Chef Rob Feenie who was doing a book signing for one of his new books. I actually sputted out a few words to him. Apparently he is in hiatus as he is working on a brand new TV show but apparently it is very secretive as he could not disclose anything about it.

There I feel better.

Les.

^I saw him briefly on Thursday, when I was helping out the pastry chef at Feenie's.  :smile: I managed to only stare for a few moments with my mouth agape before turning back to my station.  :wink:

I'm sure Rob enjoyed that. :cool:

I see Vikram Vij several times a week as he lives very near the showroom. Do I get an extra diamond on my eGullet ring? :laugh:

Welcome pastrychefwanttobe!

A.

:laugh: I was at Costco the other night, and if my brain weren't constantly churning with thoughts of selling prices and renovations and interest rates nowadays, I would have remembered to post this: upon entering Costco, there was a sign posted which promised an "Intimate" book signing with RF.

:laugh:

Intimate is just not a word I normally associate with Costco.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

:laugh: I was at Costco the other night, and if my brain weren't constantly churning with thoughts of selling prices and renovations and interest rates nowadays, I would have remembered to post this: upon entering Costco, there was a sign posted which promised an "Intimate" book signing with RF.

:laugh:

Intimate is just not a word I normally associate with Costco.

Nor is it a word I associate with the man who's face is on half the buses in Vancouver.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Dang,

You took the wind from my sails...i was about to say "I saw Rob Feenie on the 99 B-line yesterday :biggrin:

Welcome to the board!

I actually never saw the iron chef he was in. I was hoping to find a copy for interest sake. I DID see one with Ron Siegal and it was awesome. I loved his presentation :)

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Apparently he is in hiatus as he is working on a brand new TV show but apparently it is very secretive as he could not disclose anything about it.

If memory serves me right (and it may not), I remember hearing that the next show he is working on centers around his new restaurant opening in Toronto. Does anyone know for sure? Unfortunately I can't remember where I heard this. It might have been from a TV interview with him or even here on eGullet.

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

^I saw him briefly on Thursday, when I was helping out the pastry chef at Feenie's.  :smile: I managed to only stare for a few moments with my mouth agape before turning back to my station.  :wink:

Congratulations, a shift with Feenie's pastry chef is a great opportunity! What did you make? What did you learn? Is this an ongoing thing or one time only?

Or have I missed your report on this elsewhere on egullet?

Cheers,

Anne

Apparently he is in hiatus as he is working on a brand new TV show but apparently it is very secretive as he could not disclose anything about it.

If memory serves me right (and it may not), I remember hearing that the next show he is working on centers around his new restaurant opening in Toronto. Does anyone know for sure? Unfortunately I can't remember where I heard this. It might have been from a TV interview with him or even here on eGullet.

He's opening a place in TO?! You must be kidding me! He was on of the reasons I wanted to come visit BC! More info please! :biggrin:

Rob Feenie is NOT opening a place in Toronto. He had originally thought about it - or so rumours said. I had a cooking class with him through Barbara Jo's a couple weeks ago and he confirmed that Burnaby would be the next location. I believe a Feenie's style. I look forward to it. What an amazing new addition to the burbs.

Gastronomista

Congratulations, a shift with Feenie's pastry chef is a great opportunity!  What did you make?  What did you learn?  Is this an ongoing thing or one time only?

Or have I missed your report on this elsewhere on egullet?

Yes, it was an amazing opportunity! I loved working there, and the pastry chef said I could come in anytime. She was wonderful to work for, and super nice. I learned so much from her! :smile:

I hope Les doesn't mind me hijacking the thread for a moment, but this is what I did at Feenie's:

-I rolled out tart dough, and lined tart molds

-I picked out every perfect, whole "seed" from a pomegrante (dessert garnish)

-I made a huge batch of espresso creme brulee. I cracked 72 eggs and separated them. In went 3 L of whipping cream and 3 L of half and half. It's the same recipe I use (in a much bigger batch, of course, except I use all whipping cream.)

-I made a huge batch of pancake mix (cracked another 72 eggs)...

-I rolled out biscotti

-I packed a bunch of containers full of yogurt

-made the hot chocolate for the dessert menu

-helped the pastry chef during lunch service by wrapping/slicing cheeses, getting the ice-creams, running items back and forth from the convection oven

This is what I sampled:

-caramel / fleur de sel ice-cream

-egg nog cake with egg nog cream

-chocolate and stout ice-cream

-Irish whiskey and Bailey's creme brulee

-Weiss chocolate (57% and 70%)

-a chocolate chip/espresso biscotti

-cassis sorbet

-the best vanilla ice-cream ever!

-some Shropshire cheese, b/c I told her it was one of my favourites

Edited by Ling (log)

Wow, Lorna, they really made you do it "old skool".

I buy pasturized liquid egg yolk for brule and Anglaise.

20g = 1 egg yolk.

Just measure and go. No messy hands. Cheaper, cleaner and safer.

Did they make you get the bacon stretcher or the vodka seperator or run down the road for a bucket of ice mix ?

Soon you can do a pastry shift at the HSG and learn the secret of the GBP !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I was halfway through my bowl of pho, when I looked into my soupspoon and behold - a face appeared in the reflection, looking a lot like chef Feenie!

I'm sending this photo to the Enquirer. :shock:

Memo

feeniespoon.jpg

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Memo, that is truly the best thing I have seen all day. Very very entertaining.

Feenie kissed me once...unfortunately it was not in a romantic way, more in a 'thanks for the cookie' way. But still... :smile:

And I've seen him in bicycle shorts... :blink:

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

"Rob Feenie is NOT opening a place in Toronto. . . he confirmed that Burnaby would be the next location. I believe a Feenie's style. I look forward to it. What an amazing new addition to the burbs. "

Holy crap! Arne, did you hear that???

Burnaby??? Good enough for Feenie???

We're officially outta the backwater...

Holy crap! Arne, did you hear that???

Burnaby??? Good enough for Feenie???

We're officially outta the backwater...

Well, he did grow up in Burnaby ... so I wasn't really surprised. My guess is he's looking at the Brentwood Town Centre area to open in. There are a lot of new Condo/Retail spaces going up along the Skytrain tracks. It would be very cool if he went into the bottom of the new towers at the Holdom station. It would be just a roll down the hill for me!

A.