• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

i want to open up my own shop

ladyyoung98

after much time and urging from i have finally decided to take the plunge and open up my own bakery and confections shop.. and i need everythiing from display cases to ovens to cash register to refrigerators and commercial mixers and tempering machines... locations where i can purchase supplies in bulk at wholesale...

so any web sites you fine people can provide me with to locate items i need so i can cost this out ...would be great

a recipe is merely a suggestion

Congratulations! I would check to see if there are any used bakery equipment places in your area. Unfortunately places go out of business often, although I hope this doesn't happen to you, it does make a lot of used and sometimes barely used equipment available at much reduced prices. I'm sure there are some caveats to buying used equipment and hopefully others can give some direction with this. I am in the process of costing out putting a small commercial kitchen in my basement for the catering I do so I'd be interested in this info as well.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

The caterer I share with gets a monthly mailing of upcoming auctions; check with local auctioneers in your area for how to get on their mailing list for this sort of thing.

Some of the big distributors (US Foodservice, Perkins, Sysco) also sell some equipment, but better yet, they may have someone on staff who can help you with a layout (assuming that you're buying stuff from them, this design service might be free, but check and see what they'd charge for the design time if you don't buy the equipment from them).

Good luck!

I am subscribed to a bakery newlsetter that also sends a bakery equipment newsletter twice a month. I received one today. Hereis the newsletter address:

http://www.bakeryequipmenttradingtimes.com...ailer_11_15.htm

This should get in some sort of direction, as to new and used equipment sources. If you need other supplier info I have others. Just post follow-ups and I'll check back. :smile:

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

I am subscribed to a bakery newlsetter that also sends a bakery equipment newsletter twice a month.  I received one today. Hereis the newsletter address:

http://www.bakeryequipmenttradingtimes.com...ailer_11_15.htm

This should get in some sort of direction, as to new and used equipment sources. If you need other supplier info I have others. Just post follow-ups and I'll check back. :smile:

thanks for the info..i promptly subscribed to it

any other info u can send my way would be greatly appreciated

Edited by ladyyoung98 (log)

a recipe is merely a suggestion