• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas packaging ideas

Christmas is approaching and I'm thinking of baking assorted cookies, packaging them Martha Stuart style and giving them as gifts.

In her recent cookies magazine, she shows corrugated cardboard separators, clear acrylic boxes, etc.

I wonder if eGulleteers can offer me places to find these items and if they can suggest other unique ideas and where to find these items.

I plan to find all my ribbons at Dressew and fabrics at various textile stores including furnishing stores.

I don't want to spend too much on the "box" as it's the cookies that is the main attraction. If the box is plain I plan to jazz it up a bit.

Thanks for your help.

You can find Chinese takeout-style boxes at some dollar stores. Those might work for your purpose. I've though about using those before.

As Deborah mentioned, Michael's would be your other bet. There's also the restaurant supply place mentioned in the Cocoa thread.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Go directly to Daiso in Richmond. That place has the coolest packaging around, and everything in the store either costs $2, or is get-X-for-$2. Not only do they have cool boxes, tissue paper, bags and other decorations, but they also carry some culinary-specific packaging too. Last year I saw these crazy "muffin kits". You bake a muffin or cupcake or two, put them in the special cardboard muffin cups, put the cup inside the muffin box, complete with fluffy stuffing, wrap it all up in the special cellophane, and tie it with the ribbon and bow. And fill out the card. It's crazy. They also have stuff like decorator cardboard rings and things to put around mini-loafs or small cakes, and I seem to recall lots of the paper doily thingies for putting around squares or candies.

Daiso totally rules.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

Daiso is great. It's basically the Japanese version of a dollar (toonie) store - where the majority of the goods are made in China.

Try finding a noren/screen for $2 in Japan!

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Go directly to Daiso in Richmond.

Hey Snacky is Daiso the one in Aberdeen mall? Otherwise known as the mall that some developer transported from Hong Kong to Richmond? I went in there once, but the shimmering musical fountain freaked me out quite a bit.

Otherwise I like the "Chinese takeout box" idea. You can also get them at Ming Wo I believe, but a dollar store will no doubt be cheaper. I have also seen them in reusable plastic with neon colours, but for the life of me I can't remember where.

I am so making my husband go on a forced march to Richmond! Great tip...I can't wait to find this place.

I purchased a 'sleeve' of chinese takeout boxes, plain white, at a restaurant supply store - I got 100 of them for 6 dollars. They have all manner of boxes and containers worth checking out.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Just riffing on Daiso a bit...

You could also use patterned (clear) celophane bags. I'm pretty sure that they sell these at Daiso. Good for a few cookies/bars, tie them w/ribbon, ec. This would cut down on the waste somewhat compared with a box. We use these all the time for goodie bags.

There are lots of container possibilties at Daiso.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Oooooh, I am so scared to go to Daiso...I have the feeling I could get entirely out of control there.

When everything is $2 this weird light bulb turns on. Like a dormant carnal shopaholic you never knew you had wakes up from its slumber and runs amok.

I think I'm always spending like $60 there, that's 30 items but when I pass by the "unagi sauce" or the cheap dishes I can't resist. That place is evil. I even got suckered into buying an umbrella (which sucked).

Buyer beware, there are many items to be had for cheaper elsewhere but they get you with the one-stop-shop mentality. That being said there are some AMAZING bargains to be had. I got a really good Zaru Soba Box and bamboo mat thingie for $2. Makes the Soba noodles look so sexy and authentic.

Sandy's sister is into finding good deals on things like little chinese takeout boxes. In fact we were researching little chinese steamers as a wedding favour. That would look awesome for gifts but I think they still run over a dollar each.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Hey Snacky is Daiso the one in Aberdeen mall? Otherwise known as the mall that some developer transported from Hong Kong to Richmond? I went in there once, but the shimmering musical fountain freaked me out quite a bit.

Not Snacky, but yes, indeed, Daiso is in that mall, with the dancing waters fountain. :rolleyes: The store is just to the north of the fountain, it's outside walls are the rounded multi-coloured windows along Cambie and round the corner on that other crazy busy street :shock: one block east of 3 Road.

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

I purchased a 'sleeve' of chinese takeout boxes, plain white, at a restaurant supply store - I got 100 of them for 6 dollars.  They have all manner of boxes and containers worth checking out.

Badiane, which store was that, if you don't mind me asking. TIA :smile:

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

You could also check out Creative Packaging in Burnaby. Lots of great ideas. Their website doesn't list prices but they are happy to do pricing over the phone or through e-mail.

Now I've got another reason to go to Richmond besides Galloways. It's a bummer I just went last week, Daiso will have to wait a bit. :wacko:

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I purchased a 'sleeve' of chinese takeout boxes, plain white, at a restaurant supply store - I got 100 of them for 6 dollars.  They have all manner of boxes and containers worth checking out.

Badiane, which store was that, if you don't mind me asking. TIA :smile:

I got mine at an the HY Louie store here in Chilliwack...but I assume HY Louis has places all over the lower Mainland and most restaurant supply places I have been to have had them...not always at that price, but not for a lot more.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

• 1 year later...

I'm going back to Daiso to pick up some knick knacks for nieces and nephews on Wednesday. AND to hit the food court on the third floor. The tako yaki alone make the trip to Richmond worthwhile.

Paul B