• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need recipe for fraisier

young_gourmet

Ok... going from memory here.. don't have books nearby.. so I hope this helps.

When we did it in school (funny, it was an exam cake too), we did a bottom layer of cake, then ran the sliced strawberries all around the edge of the cake ring, inside of the acetate. The, we made a mousseline cream with pastry cream and butter, and that was piped onto the cake layer. Then we had all the extra strawberry bits left over from cutting the slices, and we layered that on top of the mousseline. Then, I believe there was another layer of cake, and then a thin layer of mousseline to come to the top of the ring in order to have something that the marzipan layer would stick to. We coloured the marzipan pink, and then rolled it out and added some texture to the top of it... not really remembering how we did that, but I suspect that it was by dragging our serrated knife across it to make "waves", and then that layer was put on top of the ring, and rolled on with a rolling pin to cut it and Voila! Fraisier is done. Finishing was a few chocolate dipped strawberries, and Fraisier written on top. Good luck, and I hope this helped you!!

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

I didn't add any pistachio flavour, that sounds kind of interesting. I wonder if it would be too nutty with the marzipan on top and pistachio in the mousseline... I believe you could add in some rum...

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

I seem to remember a wonderful photo coupled with a discussion about a fraisier, plus a recipe in Linda Dannenberg's Paris: Patisserie, Boulangerie. It think it was made with a split genoise, and with a mousseline buttercream.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

If you google fraisier, images, one of the pics is an illustration rather than a photograph, and it comes with all the ingredients listed (in French). It's a Japanese site, though, so all the instructions are in Japanese.

It's interesting to see the different interpretations of the cake, in any case.

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I just uploaded a bunch of images to ImageGullet but it's not letting me get the link for a post. Once ImageGullet is up again, I'll post the images directly in this thread.

For now, you'll have to the public gallery and view images there.

Someone posted a work-around to the ImageGullet problem...

gallery_35656_2048_72381.jpg

gallery_35656_2048_30038.jpg

gallery_35656_2048_39749.jpg

gallery_35656_2048_44317.jpg

Edited by John DePaula (log)

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

You can pipe it in with a plain tipped pastry bag, but as I recall we just ladled it in and smoothed with an offset spatula. Hope this helps!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

If your filling is thin/not set up/not chilled then you can ladle it over your strawberries. But it has to be thin enough that it goes deep into the nooks between the berries. Otherwise it won't look great sliced and won't seal up your strawberries. Sometimes you can give it a light tap on the table to release any air pockets and get your filling to sink well.

Otherwise if your filling isn't thin/soft/warm you should pipe it in to make sure it's going deep between your berries.......again to avoid air pockets.

I believe it's Herme' that does the fraiser with the pistachio filling.............it's a wonderful combination with the berries!!