• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger helper

Magus

Yeh, I agree with Michael on this. I would definetly expect beer or a place were you get your meat and bun and then proceed to a condiment bar i.e. lettuce, tomato, mustard, etc. I think your thought path was "raw bar" but I think most would be confused.

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

Im just wondering what is going to happen when I start serving fresh ground burgers.

What is better a corse ground burger or fine ground?

The best fresh ground burger, besides fat content, is that it absolutely does not have any ground up tendon, connective tissue, gristle, bone, or other objectionable "chunky" stuff in the patty.

Best combination of meat that I've ever found was a 1:1:1 ratio of fatty tenderloin strap, lean sirloin, and prime chuck, single ground.

The smell of it frying was unbelieveable and took me back to the 50's when hamburger was really great!

doc

O.K Little reality check

Good news first. I think I have a following that is getting bigger. :biggrin: I have had about a couple of dozen cusomers tell me this past weekend that I need to be out more. The went on to say that they have waited 3 weeks for my burgers. these people also brought more people with them. I am very happy. I also keep selling out which on one hand is great but on the other hand it is fustrating.

While in my "test kitchen" I tried hand grinding some meats. ...O.K My thoghts the entire time is THIS IS A BUNCH OF BULL SHHH. Not only was it ALOT of work. The time it took me to grind the meat, then clean the meat grinder...in short...grinding meat by hand is for the birds. I found a Great butcher that will do it for me as well as add in the amount of fat that I want. It was a hard lesson learned but I need to leave this up to the pros. The good news is that I can still have my burgers ground fresh daily and delivered.

I also went to another butcher that informed me that there is a machine that measures the fat in the burger. So I will know if any other butcher is trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

I am also doing some research on the (Tenterloin strap, lean sirloin and prime chuck combo. So far it sound good but it also sound like really expensive cuts of meat.

Edited by Magus (log)

A balanced diet starts...with a burger for each hand...

http://nineburgers.blogspot.com/

Be part of the click!

http://twitter.com/nineburgers

I am also doing some research on the (Tenterloin strap, lean sirloin and prime chuck combo. So far it sound good but it also sound like really expensive cuts of meat.

I know there is such a thing as pricing yourself out of the market--given the type of operation you will have, you won't be able to get away with charging $15 for a burger and fries the way Rouge (a fancy bistro on Philadelphia's Rittenhouse Square; writer Alan Richman dubbed its burger one of the 10 best in America in a recent GQ feature, and I'd have to say I agree with him) does, but as you already have a following that loves your current product, you might be able to get them to pay a little more at your new restaurant if you can educate them about the quality difference.

What is your current ground beef composed of (cuts of meat, fat content)?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

There is a steakhouse called Murray's (Home of the Silver Butter Knife Steak) in downtown Minneapolis that is a landmark. At lunch they serve a special burger made entirely from the strap and trimmings of the tenderloin.

Haven't tried it yet, but I'm very happy with my strap/sirloin/chuck combo, and I've been trying to come up with the "perfect" burger combination for over 20 years!

In fact today, I am taking delivery from Venison America of 6 whole Black Angus tenderloins. While I love tenderloin steaks, the main reason I'm buying these is for the strap. I've got a huge chuck roast and sirloin roast in the fridge at home that I bought previously thawing in anticipation of grinding them all up tonight, and then vacuum sealing in 2-lb packages. At the same time, I cut up the remaining tenderloin into filet mignon type 1 1/2" size medallions. One small one and one larger one per package, dry marinated and vacuum sealed and into the freezer they go. (small one for the wife, and need I say, the large one for me?) :)

doc

doc

Just took delivery on my whole certified Black Angus Tenderloins, and one "hanging tenderloin". Steve, of Venison America, told me that as far as hamburger, these prime hanging tenderloins make outstanding burgers too.

His favorite is the Kobe hamburger he sells.

I may just have to throw one of these HT's into the hamburger mix tonight.

Approximately 70 lbs of meat to grind tonight! But the thought of the delicious hamburger waiting for me when I'm done will be incentive enough!!

:)

doc

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all and Happy New Year.

Well things are still rolling along. I am in the middle of perfecting making my own hamburger buns. I am experimenting with different types of buns ie MY regular, garlic, sundried tomato. potato etc. I am also experimenting with milkshakes. Getting the right consistancy. I am also developing a fried apple pie. The apple pie will be coated with butter, cinnamon and confection sugar. :biggrin:

Be part of the click!

I have a theory...

The earth was hit by a comet sometime last year and we all perished... The entire of egullet is now in hell... Punishment consists of Magus telling us about his burgers and NOT WHERE HE FRICKEN IS!

You can find him. You just need to know where to look. :hmmm:

Think about it: Michigan, has a large sports arena, cold and snowy 4-5 months of the year and has a large college student population. How many towns in Michigan fit this description?

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

random thoughts

I am not sure if you want Number 9 to be a theme to your burgers ? The #1 burger could be plain. The Original #9 Burger would be your favorite combo.

Here are some themes around #9: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9_(number)

As for the e-gullet reference we could come up with The e-gullet burger. I would like a 35% fat burger with roma tomatoes and pepperjack cheese please.

Well, I have been thinking about the No.9 for some time now. I like it, It has some importance to me. But I was thinking about using my last name "McGirt" and calling it McGirt's Hamburgers. or paying homage to my home Bklyn NY. and calling it Brooklyn Burger Co.

What do you all think.

After all...there is bit-a- brooklyn in everyone...

Edited by Magus (log)

Be part of the click!

No. 9 makes me think of the Beatle's White Album and Revolution #9. I sort of associate that with the guy who pulled off the Sharon Tate and LaBianca murders...

Brooklyn doesn't strike me as a place where you'd find a quality burger. Seemed kind of run down to me back in the '80's when I saw it (or rather drove thru it in a taxi on my way to Manhattan).

McGirt burgers? Sorry, doesn't do it for me. Sounds Irish and I don't associate Irish with burgers, maybe potatoes....

Anyway, no offense, it rhymes with words that I don't want to associate with as ingredients in my burger.

There's a place around here called Red Robin and it advertises Gourmet Burgers and Shakes. THe place is literally packed all the time. Unbelieveably good burgers too!

How 'bout something like "Here's the Beef"?? (Obviously in answer to "Where's the Beef!")

I kind of like "Grandad's Gourmet Burgers", because I think people associate the "old days" with quality like you don't find nowadays.

Or maybe "MacBetter Burgers"!!

Now that one sounds catchy to me!

But then, what do I know! :)

doc

[...]Brooklyn doesn't strike me as a place where you'd find a quality burger.  Seemed kind of run down to me back in the '80's when I saw it (or rather drove thru it in a taxi on my way to Manhattan).[...]

Is this the image most Middle Americans have of the very geographically large and varied borough of Brooklyn? I don't take personal offense but did immediately think of an exasperated expletive while reading this. Sheesh, what you saw from a cab in the 80s! I thought some places looked rundown in the 30s, too. :laugh: (Nope, I'm not that old; just saw photos.)

Magus Burgers sounds fine to me, though. It sure is unlikely to be similar to any other burger joint's name, plus it has that magic connotation. Have you been thinking about slogans yet?

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm not sure I like Magus... I wouldn't want someone to misunderstand a friend and think it was Maggots Burgers. (Of course, maybe I am pronouncing Magus wrong...)

I like Brooklyn Burger Co. I'm not sure about McGirt's Hamburgers but you could shorten it to Girty's Burgers -- I like that.

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

Having shared this with Magus in a pm, I'll go public with my preference for No. 9, if for no other reason than that it is unusual and very personal. Who knows? Maybe he could even give the name a backstory of its own, much as my "handle" in my .sig and its anagram in my ID have stories of their own.

Not to mention that when you combine it with that fire-engine-red-with-yellow-lettering package design he laid on us way back when, you get a whole lot better associations than Charles Manson (and the Beatles song I associate with him is "Helter Skelter," anyway).

Think "Engine Co. No. 9."

(Edited to correct form of communication.)

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Having shared this with Magus in a pm, I'll go public with my preference for No. 9, if for no other reason than that it is unusual and very personal.  Who knows? Maybe he could even give the name a backstory of its own, much as my "handle" in my .sig and its anagram in my ID have stories of their own.

Not to mention that when you combine it with that fire-engine-red-with-yellow-lettering package design he laid on us way back when, you get a whole lot better associations than Charles Manson (and the Beatles song I associate with him is "Helter Skelter," anyway).

Think "Engine Co. No. 9."

(Edited to correct form of communication.)

I should have put in my previous post that I still like No. 9. I really liked the logo, and I'm not sure it would work as well with the other names.

Testing the potential names on people who live in the area might help.

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry