• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Local Coffee?

Kobi

Anyone have a particular coffee shop and/or local brand that is their favorite? I am partial to Old City Coffee in RTM, but perhaps just as much for the experience as the flavor.

- Kobi

Nothing too fancy, but I love Bucks County Coffee. 50% Owner's Reserve + 50% Dark Roast Sumatra is my daily drip cup. I like that they don't overroast everything.

They also used to have leased space in local Genuardi's stores, which made sourcing convenient. Since Safeway came in and ruined Genuardi's, the Bucks County kiosks have been squeezed out, so I mail order it from them now.

I do like Old City in RTM... you can't get much closer to where your beans are roasted than you get there. Plus the rotating coffee of the week provides a nice variety if you go there often. I have not had the espresso or espresso-based drinks there, so I can't speak to that. I have had the best espresso at La Colombe and at Fante's cookware shop on 9th St.

My fave is the small independent in Mount Airy on G'town Ave called Infusion. they use Torreo espresso roast for their espresso drinks. The flavor is wonderful, and the atmosphere is funky and relaxed. They also have free wireless internet.

I have personally never liked Bucks County Coffee. But that's why there's 31 flavors of ice cream, I guess...

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

I'd love to find a place where I can get a decent espresso. It doesn't have to be a god shot everytime but at least I'd like to hear a grinder buzzing right after I order. And a barista who knows what they're trying to accomplish.

Anyone know such a place in the DV?

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

I'd love to find a place where I can get a decent espresso. It doesn't have to be a god shot everytime but at least I'd like to hear a grinder buzzing right after I order. And a barista who knows what they're trying to accomplish.

Anyone know such a place in the DV?

I have yet to have a bad espresso - or a bad anything except noise level, I guess - at La Colombe. Their Beaulieu roast is also my favorite at-home blend. Corsica gets all the press (it's the coffee served at Alain Ducasse, apparently), but it's too dark a roast for my palate.

On a completely diferent tack, there are a couple of little places in the Northeast that actually make an espresso ("Uma bica, por favor") that tastes just like the ones brewed in Lisbon. Very distinctive flavor, quite different from anything else. Love to know what the coffee is. I guess I could ask. Or go over to the Spain/Portugal forum...

Alas I have not been to every coffee house in the country, but that has never limited me before with similar declarations. I'd be surprised if La Colombe does not rate within the top two or three coffee houses in the country. Both product and service - they are as close to perfect as I have found.

My two complaints - they close too early, and all too often they are SRO.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

On a completely diferent tack, there are a couple of little places in the Northeast that actually make an espresso ("Uma bica, por favor") that tastes just like the ones brewed in Lisbon. Very distinctive flavor, quite different from anything else. Love to know what the coffee is. I guess I could ask. Or go over to the Spain/Portugal forum...

And why don't you let us all know the answer to this question when you get it?

Meanwhile, where is this mysterious place that makes real Portugese coffee? I'd certainly love to check it out.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

And why don't you let us all know the answer to this question when you get it?

Meanwhile, where is this mysterious place that makes real Portugese coffee? I'd certainly love to check it out.

One is the Lisbon/Madrid Cafe (I think that's the name); the other is called... something like Cafe Luso. It's at 4th and Olney or thereabouts. You'll have to pardon me, I think of them as "places where we watch football".

And getting the actual answer is likely to be an arduous task, costing years of labor and thousands of lives. The very thought of it makes me tired and sweaty. Might as well just go and get another dish of Capogiro instead.

I am a La Colombe guy and a vietnamese coffee guy. Since the latter is all about strong coffee and sweetened condensed milk, I find it hard to get a bad cup of that although I guess they must exist. No dedicated coffee shops for that though.

Dough can sense fear.

Since the latter is all about strong coffee and sweetened condensed milk, I find it hard to get a bad cup of that although I guess they must exist.  No dedicated coffee shops for that though.

There are probably some Vietnamese coffee shops. I remember what I believe to be one on 8th just north of Washington Ave. I suspect they'd have it.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Since the latter is all about strong coffee and sweetened condensed milk, I find it hard to get a bad cup of that although I guess they must exist.  No dedicated coffee shops for that though.

There are probably some Vietnamese coffee shops. I remember what I believe to be one on 8th just north of Washington Ave. I suspect they'd have it.

The one place I get it often is Bah Le (?spelling) and that is 7th and washington I think. They have other goodies there too.

Dough can sense fear.

I have yet to have a bad espresso - or a bad anything except noise level, I guess - at La Colombe. Their Beaulieu roast is also my favorite at-home blend. Corsica gets all the press (it's the coffee served at Alain Ducasse, apparently)

I am pretty sure that ADNY serves a custom roast La Colombe makes just for them.

IMHO, La Colombe doesn't get nearly the praise it deserves.

I have yet to have a bad espresso - or a bad anything except noise level, I guess - at La Colombe. Their Beaulieu roast is also my favorite at-home blend. Corsica gets all the press (it's the coffee served at Alain Ducasse, apparently)

I am pretty sure that ADNY serves a custom roast La Colombe makes just for them.

IMHO, La Colombe doesn't get nearly the praise it deserves.

Possibly. All I recall is a news story from the time Alain Ducasse opened, stating that La Colombe's Corsica was the winner of a taste-off the restaurant ran to pick a coffee. May well be that they then asked for a customized blend.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with everyone on La Colombe and Old City Coffee (I can't say no when I visit RTM). As both a coffee and espresso drinker, both are very good, but Old City's espresso's are 'automatically' double shots (not really sure why).

But, as far as espresso like in the 'old country' (ala Italy), my current favorite is Hausbrandt on 15th between Walnut and Locust (next to Pasion). I've tried many other places in the city (obviously not all) and so far, it's the best. Strong, but not bitter and smooth. Oh, they also have free Wi-Fi, so there's alot of people in there with laptops.

personally i'm still looking for a cafe latte like you get in italy, and i have yet to find it.

pull the shot, put it in about a 6 oz juice glass, steam/foam the milk, bang it once on the counter to even out the foam, and dump it in the glass. it's not holding back the foam like everyone does here; the foam gets mixed in. the end result is a much smaller (and cheaper) drink than most cafe lattes you get in the US, with a significantly higher ratio of coffee to milk, and with a much fuller mouthfeel because the foam is throughout the coffee.

i don't know if this is 'authentic' or if it's just how it happens because every barista in rome is gruff and in a hurry, but i loved it.

as far as buying coffee, i usually buy whatever varietal looks interesting at old city, and drink my way through a 1/2 pound of it. those folks really know what they're doing when it comes to roasting--even their dark roasts never taste as burnt as evern starbucks' lightest.

alternately i drink la colombe corsica.

The one place I get it often is Bah Le (?spelling) and that is 7th and washington I think. They have other goodies there too.

It's at the corner of 6th and Washington.

Lots of other goodies.

They have it? I've never noticed it, nor seen anyone get it there, nor have I thought about getting it there. I'm usually too into the food, and occasionally will pick something to drink from the fridges.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 6 months later...

I have been frequenting a small shop called the Chapter House on 9th between South and Bainbridge. It's where I have been getting my italian lessons. Fittingly, they serve a really good espresso. They have a small but good selection of sweets as well ( among them are good chocolate covered marshmallows)

If you are in the neighborhood, it's worth a "shot"

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Morning Star Coffee out of West Chester PA is a small roaster but it owner Charles hand roasts some excellent coffee.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

• 1 month later...

i thought of this thread recently when i was down in suburban station and stopped for a cup of coffee, and was reminded that one place in town consistently pulls one of the best shots you'll have: passero's. thick crema, never bitter or overextracted, and when they make a latte or cappuccino the proportions are right. the service is always great and the coffee's even better. i would say this is an undiscovered gem of coffee in town, but considering how long they've been there it's not undiscovered at all.

as an aside, their regular drip coffee isn't nearly as good, although it's perfectly acceptable. and the passero's at broad and locust isn't as good as in the train station.

seriously, give it a try. see if i'm wrong. because i think you'll be surprised.