• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Local Coffee?

Kobi

What's an Italian coffee house chain doing with a German name?

Hausbrandt is from Trieste, a city that has been Austrian as much as it has been Italian. I presume the explanation follows from that, but I don't know much about the company.

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

What's an Italian coffee house chain doing with a German name?

Hausbrandt is from Trieste, a city that has been Austrian as much as it has been Italian. I presume the explanation follows from that, but I don't know much about the company.

its named after its founder

here is a link to their italian website

hausbrandt

Heard today that Hausbrandt is opening up a second Philly location in the Widener Building, presumably in the old "Mum's & Pop's". South Penn Square and Juniper St. South side of City Hall.

As I work in the Widener Bldg, it is excellent news for me!

• 1 month later...

And NaFairge: I haven't been to Chestnut Hill, but a) a fairly discriminating friend really likes it, and b) at one point I read a profile of one of their coffee slingers, a Left Coast transplant who had won something like Seattle's Best Barista at some point. It left me with the impression that, at a minimum, they took their coffee seriously.

Ditto. But it might be the same friend.

That "Best Barista" would be John Hornall, formerly one of the partners of the legendary Hines Public Market coffee in Vancouver. He was brought up by Owen in another thread not too long ago:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...0entry1173761

Hornall is a big enough deal in the business that Portafilter.net dedicated a show to him: http://www.portafilter.net/2006/08/podcast...rnall-show.html

Rich Westerfield

Mt. Lebanon, PA

Drinking great coffee makes you a better lover.

There is no scientific data to support this conclusion, but try to prove otherwise. Go on. Try it. Right now.