• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions for Portable Desserts

lannie

I have been asked to do a selection of dessert-type snacks for a large group of oil and gas execs, who all have a very sweet tooth. The problem is that they will be hauling coolers of food up a mountain; so, the desserts will need to withstand the trip up in the middle of summer.

They have asked for a few types of cookies, tarts, bars, specialty desserts, etc.. They are also allowing me to experiment with flavours and textures, although chocolate seems to be a favourite.

Does anyone have any ideas for portable desserts that can hold up to the challenge?

Thanks!

There's an almond tart in Chez Panisse Desserts (Lindsey Remolif Shere) that I made last week. The book states that it is very durable. (Actually, you shouldn't even try to eat it with a fork, fingers work best.)

An accurate but abbreviated version of the recipe is almond tart recipe here

Here are the only things I'd add:

"flaked almonds" means "sliced almonds" (actually, I used whole unblanched ones because that's what I had in the house.)

The crust used in the cookbook is a sort of shortbread with a little lemon zest but I couldn't pick up the taste of the lemon after baking. The cookbook specifies to save a little crust dough to patch any cracks that appear after baking the crust. This way, the filling won't leak through.

My tart boiled over and bonded to the foil lined-pan I used. I was able to separate it without burning myself but I'll be more careful next time. (i.e. I'll make sure my crust comes all the way up the sides of my tart pan and also use a Silpat baking sheet beneath the pan.)

Loosen the tart every minute or so after you take it out of the oven. When the filling is set (about 5-10 minutes), remove the tart from the pan and let it finish cooling on the rack. (Be careful when you do this, the tart is still kind of fragile and the filling will be very hot.)

jayne

Edited to correct spelling of cookbook author

Edited by jaynesb (log)

I just made a platter for a housewarming party with sliced fruitsand berries, pound cake, tiny brownies, etc. and some yummers dipping sauces (pear caramel, bittersweet chocolate, and my mom's marshmallow whipped cream with cardamom). It travelled perfectly on my platter but could be carried in containers with lids and assembled on site.

Hi,

I'm new here and I love this board.

My suggestions are: pecan, pine nut or citrus mini tarts, raspberry swirl mini cheesecakes, cinnamon rolls, chocolate macroons, marbled meringes, baklava, Rugelach with apricot and pistachio filling, Chocolate Farfel-nut clusters.

You can find the recipes for the rugelach and clusters here http://content.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/...he=yes&flash=on

under "Desserts - Cookies, Brownies etc"

Hope this helps :smile:

Edited by ksaw29 (log)

Thank you all so much for the suggestions.

I will definitely make some type of brownie (perhaps a raspberry creamcheese version), tarts (the Chez Panisse almond one sounds good, and probably mini Nutella tarts and butter tarts), and the rugelach recipe looks tasty.

I've done this sort of thing very successfully with desserts that can be frozen. Pack them straight from the freezer into a well-insulated cooler. By the time they get them to the picnic spot (depending upon how long it takes, of course), they're perfect. And still nice and cool.

A selection of cheesecakes was particularly successful.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

There's an almond tart in Chez Panisse Desserts (Lindsey Remolif Shere) that I made last week. The book states that it is very durable. (Actually, you shouldn't even try to eat it with a fork, fingers work best.)

I was going to suggest the very same recipe! I've made it many times and it is very good and is durable as the recipe notes suggest. (I cut slices using a bread knife). I've brought it picnics. If the temp isn't very hot it doesn't need refrigeration either. (I've always made it with sliced almonds).

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

"finger sandwiches" ....fruit breads filled with jams and nutella with nut or coconut decorated edges...

I think Paula Dean did something like that recently

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. 

I will definitely make some type of brownie (perhaps a raspberry creamcheese version), tarts (the Chez Panisse almond one sounds good, and probably mini Nutella tarts and butter tarts), and the rugelach recipe looks tasty.

Lannie, can I ask you what recipe you use for butter tarts? I tried Marcy Golman's but not what I remember as a child. Just curious

Lannie, can I ask you what recipe you use for butter tarts?  I tried Marcy Golman's but not what I remember as a child.  Just curious

Chantal, I use a really easy one that I found somewhere on the Internet (can't remember the source).

Butter Tarts

Yield: 15 large or 24 small tarts

Filling:

1 C Brown sugar

2 large Eggs, slightly beaten

1/4 C Butter, melted

1 tsp Vanilla

1 TBSP Corn syrup

1 C Currants or raisins or pecans

Tart shells

Preheat oven to 350F.

Mix first 5 ingredients together until well combined.

Fill tart shells evenly with currants or raisins or pecans.

Add filling mixture.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden. Do not overbake!