• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gargantuan Egg

riboflavinjoe

From the Larousse Gatronomique, page 408, 1988 English edition:

Gargantuan hard-boiled egg OEUF DUR GARGANTUA (from a recipe by Danielle Spieghel) Thoroughly clean 2 pigs' bladders, one larger than the other. Separate the yolks and the whites of a dozen fresh eggs. Pour the lightly beaten yolks into the smaller bladder, tie the ends to form a ball, and plunge it into boiling water. Cook it for 8 minutes, then cool and untie it. Pour the whites into the larger bladder, then add the enormous yolk; because of its weight, it will automatically settle in the centre. Tie the bladder and shape it into an oval with both hands. Plunge it into boiling water and cook until it is set. Leave it to cool. Remove the 'egg' from the bladder and cut into large slices. It can be eaten cold sprinkled with vinaigrette or browned in the oven with bechamel sauce.

Has anyone ever actually made this?! Have pictures?

joey f

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

No, but I saw a Tarzan movie once where Jane stirred around in a huge stone pot over the fire and fished out an ostrich egg. She cooled it in the stream for a bit, smacked it gently all over with a little hatchet, shelled it, sliced it neatly into segments, and served it to quite a few guests gathered in the treehouse.

I found THAT fascinating at eight, let me tell you, and have never forgotten it.

But bladders? Might as well make the Hollandaise in a urinal. Couldn't you use some plastic wrap, twist the top, do the boiling, and unwrap? Iron Chef does it all the time.

I've read about this before. I'd actually be willing to give it a try (with photos, of course), but I have no idea where to source a pig bladder...

The closest I've ever come is cooking a whole emu egg (I'd say it's equivalent to about 8 eggs, but with proportionately more yolk).

"But bladders? Might as well make the Hollandaise in a urinal. Couldn't you use some plastic wrap, twist the top, do the boiling, and unwrap? Iron Chef does it all the time."

:laugh: . Would the plastic wrap keep its shape? I also think there should be a modern substitute for pig bladder. Maybe a plastic balloon would work (would it melt?).

edited: its vs. it's

Edited by Mallet (log)

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

I don't see why a bladder would be so gross. if you wash it out thoroughly, no problem! Like sausage casings, perhaps?... I'll see if I can get my hands on some bladders at my butcher, and keep you updated.

joey f

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

the butcher says he can't get pigs bladders. not even sure if they are permitted to leave the slaughterhouse anymore, and even if they do get out, they would come in big cases, frozen together. sigh... i'll have to figure out another way.

ideas?

the butcher says he can't get pigs bladders.  not even sure if they are permitted to leave the slaughterhouse anymore, and even if they do get out, they would come in big cases, frozen together.  sigh... i'll have to figure out another way. 

ideas?

I haven't got any suggestions, but don't give up - I'm dying to see how this turns out (partly because I'm picturing eating giant slices of hardboiled egg the same one eats a slice of watermelon).

What about balloons? The dollar stores ones have that nasty plastic smell about them, and I wouldn't want to eat anything that came out of them, but you might be able to find something a little more food-friendly (it would be expensive, but I think they make latex 'balloons' that are inflated inside of patients for some surgeries).

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

what about industrial grade saran type wrap? we throw that stuff in the fryer all the time and it's fine. it's also fine in boiling water. all you need to do is find a mold...right?

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

• 11 months later...
I've read about this before. I'd actually be willing to give it a try (with photos, of course), but I have no idea where to source a pig bladder...

when i worked in France there was a tremendous squab dish which was seared and then finished in a tied pig's bladder. it was cut open table side and amazing! when i came back to the states i tried sourcing bladders to recreate it but was told you can't purchase pig bladder as its a non regulated offal. not sure the validity of this but was not able to recreat the dish until i moved back to Europe...