• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blog to Slog!

jamiemaw

I'm delighted to break the news that our very own Andrew Morrison (aka waiterblog) has signed on as the incoming restaurant critic for the West Ender newspaper, replacing Robin Mines who held the position for many years and has moved on to new ventures.

Many of us have been captivated by Andrew's original and spirited voice on these boards. We'll now look forward to sharing that voice as it's heard by many others.

Congratulations, Andrew.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

That is it !

Too many professional food writers - Maw, Mundy, Morrison.

With all these pros around, I am going to have to start writing in Word and copying over to avoid any messages about spelling !

There goes the neighbourhood.

What is next ?

Mooshmouse writing a book ?

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Congrats, Andrew. You've got all the right stuff for that gig.

How often will your reviews appear?

And Neil? Your attempts at curmudgeonocity fall flat

as a souffle in a hurricane. Best leave that to a greater Talent.

You're way too cute for crotchety.

^ ah... but of course...

No doubt Andrew is hoping and wishing that we will all read and scrutinize each and every issue of the West Ender from now on and partake in an active and lively critique in all he has to say...

Right? :raz::biggrin:

Kidding....... :biggrin:

P.S. Congrats Andrew...... big shoes to fill :biggrin:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Congrats, Andrew. You've got all the right stuff for that gig.

How often will your reviews appear?

And Neil? Your attempts at curmudgeonocity fall flat

as a souffle in a hurricane. Best leave that to a greater Talent.

You're way too cute for crotchety.

You are right. I was just trying it out to see if it fits. It does not.

Where is Talent ?

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Any chance we can make this somewhat food related?

Just wondering ... :wink:

I want to know if he's going to try the "anonymous" schtick like Laba, and make reservations under pseudo-names, or go more the "larger-than-life" route a la Joanne Kates.

A.

Congrats on the new gig Andrew. Does this mean you are giving up the waiter beat? (Conflict?)

Do you actually have a budget for your reviews? If I recall Robin Mines did not have a budget and had to barter dinner for reviews (although this theoretically did not guarantee a good review the conflict was obvious).

Dude, I'm bringing a marching band.  :laugh:

I guess I asked because it would be intersting to know in advance where you were going. I know that would destroy any chance of getting to review the place without their advance knowledge of your impending visit. Still, it would be interesting ... like when Jamie visited Bis Moreno with Michael Smith.

This whole thing should be fascinating to experience. Andrew reviews the restaurants in the paper ... we review his reviews on-line.

Any thought Andrew?

A.

I love my job and will stay on. There is no conflict that I can see. I will never mention my restaurant in my column (it's also outside the circulation area). As for the pay/budget structure, I wouldn't think it wise for me to go there. That being said, donations are accepted at the following address:

The Cupboard Under the Stairs (not that one...the one with the computer!)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

How about "The life and times of the Hanger steak - the rise from obscurity to the culinary icon it is today "

or

Neil Wyles - the man, the myth, the lightweight drinker ! ( Jamie can back me up on this ! Had to leave a party early, I am sooooooo ashamed. Trying out for "Team Heineken" and was cut very early in the game ! )

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill