• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch in Hoboken..

Spinner

Hello everyone..

I have a business meeting in Hoboken tommorrow. Since my fiance and I opened our place, we have no time (as I am sure some of you can relate to).

So, when we have our day off..we like to go out for a meal.

Now..since we just opened our place we are also nice and broke. So...price is an issue.

She is not an adventurous eater and I am so take that into consideration if you could please.

So..suggestions?

By the way..a few EGs have come in and said hello to us..thanks!

Some suggestions:

Augustino's 1104 Washington St --check to see if they are open for lunch

Baja

Bangkok City 335 Washington St

Cucharamama, 233 Clinton St, Hoboken--very good tapas

It’s Greek To Me, 538 Washington Ave,

Oddfellows 80 River St.

The Quay, 310 Sinatra Dr

Wolfgang Puck, 100 Sinatra Dr (at First St),

Zafra 301 Willow St. Hoboken--good tapas

Dining Room at Anthony Davids--check to see if they are open for lunch

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

THE JEFFERSON.

14th and Washington, parking in the big lot at the top of Wash St (in front of the huge condos). TJ will validate. GO.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Anthony David's is definitely open for lunch. They have their brunch menu available daily from 9am. Figure a bill around $30 for two.

But I'll add my hearty recommendation for Cucharamama. Get a bunch of small plates -- some adventurous, some not, everyone's happy! The Jefferson is also extremely good, but don't know prices for the lunch menu.

For excellent eats on the very cheap, you could pick up a sandwich (yes, one should cover you both) at Vito's and head to the park at Pier A or at 10th and Hudson for a sublime picnic. Some of the best fresh mozzarella around, awesome spreads like roasted garlic, fresh-made olive tapenade, and all on excellent Hoboken bread (from Antique Bakery, I think).

Christopher

• 1 month later...

Had brunch yesterday in a place that seems to be overshadowed by some better-known places in Hoboken. On the corner of dueling Presidents, the Madison Grill has won my respect. Opposite the much-heralded Jefferson, this is a straightforward New American with huge cocktails and a really nice outdoor seating area.

The food is prepared with creativity and care here; the "BLT" is a sandwich made on terrific toasted sourdough bread, with Bacon, lettuce, tomato, and a few slices of terrific Brie cheese! Served with chipotle mayonnaise and some awesome fries, this was a great choice. My dining companion had the Ahi tuna salad, which had several very rare slices of Tuna served on a bed of field greens, soba noodles, and a terrific dressing. Bloody Marys were gigantic and delicious.

The menu had lots of other choices that I will have to come back and sample. Looking at other tables, all the food looked really interesting. Don't miss the Madison!

Madison Grill

1316 Washington St (Corner 14th)

Hoboken

201-386-0300

Iirc, the owners of The Madison also own or are in partnership with the owner(s) of The Jefferson. Friends who live in Hoboken enjoy the Madison for brunch and dinner, saying that it's good 'grill' fare.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Had brunch yesterday in a place that seems to be overshadowed by some better-known places in Hoboken.  On the corner of dueling Presidents, the Madison Grill has won my respect.  Opposite the much-heralded Jefferson, this is a straightforward New American with huge cocktails and a really nice outdoor seating area. 

Food is indeed very good, and varied. And yes, the cocktails are large, if that's your thing. And if you like gummy bears in your cocktails (yes, seriously), I'm sure you'd love these.

Don't mean to be a grump, but these "martini" lists that are nothing but oversized (waaaay oversized) shooters and fruity, sweet crapola give martinis a bad name. Makes me feel like I'm dining at a frat house.

Christopher

Had brunch yesterday in a place that seems to be overshadowed by some better-known places in Hoboken.  On the corner of dueling Presidents, the Madison Grill has won my respect.  Opposite the much-heralded Jefferson, this is a straightforward New American with huge cocktails and a really nice outdoor seating area. 

Food is indeed very good, and varied. And yes, the cocktails are large, if that's your thing. And if you like gummy bears in your cocktails (yes, seriously), I'm sure you'd love these.

Don't mean to be a grump, but these "martini" lists that are nothing but oversized (waaaay oversized) shooters and fruity, sweet crapola give martinis a bad name. Makes me feel like I'm dining at a frat house.

Christopher

We had Bloody Marys, so this wasn't an issue. They did push hard for a name-brand Vodka, which is a total waste of money if mixed into a BM. But the drink was LARGE and very tasty, even with the generic vodka. :smile:

Christopher

Veering off topic, much to the chagrin of the admins...

There is no such thing as a vodka (or apple or chocolate and on and on) martini...it's like a bourbon margarita. :angry:

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

There is no such thing as a vodka (or apple or chocolate and on and on) martini...]

A friend of mine orders Vodka Martinis all the time-- maybe it wasn't the original intent of the term "Martini" to be used with Vodka, but it's now been so widely accepted as to be meaningful and totally understood by all bar staff. Vodka Martini Recipe

Don't mean to be a grump, but these "martini" lists that are nothing but oversized (waaaay oversized) shooters and fruity, sweet crapola give martinis a bad name.  Makes me feel like I'm dining at a frat house.

Christopher

Veering off topic, much to the chagrin of the admins...

There is no such thing as a vodka (or apple or chocolate and on and on) martini...it's like a bourbon margarita. :angry:

Agreed. Hence my characterizing it as a "martini" list rather than a martini list. Since, after all, a martini list would be a list of one cocktail. Note: if the martini list comprised "gin martini" and "vodka martini", I wouldn't be so chagrined. It's the "Three-Berry Woo-Woo Martini a la Mode" that gets me. As you say, we're veering a bit off topic here, but I think it's valid to point out that a restaurant should take its approach to cocktails as seriously as its approach to food.

To stretch an analogy to ridiculous lengths, let's say they had a dinner menu that listed the following:

Roast Chicken -- The Classic!

Roast Beef Chicken -- A twist on the classic, but made with beef!

Roast Vegetable Chicken -- Carved tableside and served with vegetable-giblet gravy and tasty chocolate marshmallows

Roast Pork Chicken (with gummi bears)

At this point, the word "chicken" has lost its meaning and we're approaching Monty Python Land. Or have we already zoomed past?

Bottom line, at least have the smarts to call it a "Cocktail Menu" and not a "Martini Menu", even if the cocktails are dubious at best.

Christopher

P.S. Menton, no aspersions cast your way; this is a long-simmering gripe I've had about many of the newer restaurants in Hoboken (and elsewhere).

Wow, all I was saying is that Madison Grill is a good choice for lunch in Hoboken. (As in the title of the thread). I never discussed martinis (I don't drink ANY kind of martinis, whether "traditional" or "non-traditional".)

The food was very good, and the Bloody Mary was very good and very large.

I think complaints about Non-traditional Martinis might be better served on the "Fine Spirits and Libations" forums. A search there indicates some topics already, including "Vinegar Martinis" and "Vesper Martinis". Sounds like a good place to voice your feelings about the term "Martini".

And your point is well taken, Menton. I was bringing up a separate point that I don't particularly think should be considered tangential or irrelevant.

I agree that the food at Madison is good. I think the drink menu (or "martini menu" as they deem it) is an abomination, and it colors my perception of the place negatively. Not that I avoid eating there, but as I tried to make clear, this one aspect of what they do, they don't do well. I'm glad your very large Bloody Mary was very good, but the balance of the ill-conceived drink list reads like it should be drunk while watching Saturday morning cartoons.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Do you not agree that taking drink seriously is at least as worthy of consideration as taking food seriously? Whether one chooses to drink a "martini" with lunch or not. Since that, ultimately, was my larger point.

Christopher

(edited for additional clarity)

Edited by plattetude (log)