• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Czech Food

Shellback

As a concierge, we are constantly asked by guests for dining recommendations. But, I was really stumped the other night when a hotel guest asked for a recommendation for Czech food here in Vancouver. I told her that we no longer have a Czech restaurant here in Vancouver (Kafe Europa on Denman is closed - I think they served Czech food). She was very surprised and said, "Vancouver has the largest Czech population outside of the Czech Republic, how can you not have a Czech restaurant?" I asked for a description of the food and she said that she's looking for "dumplings in soup".

Did I misinformed her? :unsure:

Edited by Shellback (log)

Think a cross between Hungarian and German;

Roast meats and potatoes, red cabbage, oxtail soup, stuffed cabbage, bread dumplings.

Carbs... lots and lots of carbs....

And amazing apple streudel for dessert.

:wub::wub::wub:

There was a place in North Van:

Gambrinus Restaurant, 707 Queensbury Ave., North Vancouver, 988-1331.

Dunno if it's still open, but it was listed in the Straight a few weeks ago.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Sometimes checking in the yellow pages under community centres or cultural centres yields up some great contacts. If there is a Czech cultural centre they may be able to steer you to a restaurant.

Creamed cabbage with cumin seeds. YUM!

Thank you all for the quick feedback.

I thought about Kolatchy.... but since I haven't been, I don't know what else they have other than the stuffed buns.

That night, I did a Google search, found Gambrinus and gave them a call. The woman on the phone told me that they bought out the business around 7 years ago and they are no longer a Czech restaurant.

I did asked the guest whether or not if a Hungarian restaurant would do, but she said Czech food is TOTALLY different.

Checking with the community/cultural centre is a good idea - maybe I should take a look today for future reference.

Thanks again! :smile: