• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

crabs in Vancouver

I actually felt a little guilty about eating it - and considered setting free off the shores of Burrard Inlet

That's already been done. :rolleyes:

Scuba divers report the presence of Atlantic Lobsters in Indian Arm-it's thought that that certain Buddhist sects who hope to gain brownie points in this life by setting caged creatures free have in the past released Lobsters to 'live again'.

Also-it's been a fabulous Crab season to date-we're at a high point in their abundance cycle.

At the risk of sounding too chatty, the recent contributions by Canucklehead and Keith Talent in this thread epitomize the reason I am drawn to eGullet: well written summaries of new / fun / exciting food experiences. Cheers, and back to crab and lobster talk...

Posted Today, 07:22 AM

Isn't it better to eat the really old ones than the younger ones who haven't had a chance to reproduce as much?

Maybe I'm just confused

Deborah- I guess you are right - kind of like a lobster 'Logan's Run'. The beast found sanctuary in my belly. Honestly though - the old guy dodged so many bullets to get soo big - but like I said, he/she was eaten solemn gluttony.

I'm heading downtown to TNT on Monday, if you (and anyone else) want to join me for a "fishing" expedition....

Vancouver Lee - I think that it was a weekend special only - but let me know how your expeditition pans out.

BCinBC Posted Today, 09:56 AM

At the risk of sounding too chatty, the recent contributions by Canucklehead and Keith Talent in this thread epitomize the reason I am drawn to eGullet: well written summaries of new / fun / exciting food experiences. Cheers, and back to crab and lobster talk

Sniff... thanks man.... I mean.... I can't talk right now... sniff

Edited by canucklehead (log)

At the risk of sounding too chatty, the recent contributions by Canucklehead and Keith Talent in this thread epitomize the reason I am drawn to eGullet: well written summaries of new / fun / exciting food experiences. Cheers, and back to crab and lobster talk...

Yes Brian ... way too damn chatty! Never darken these forum doors again!:raz:

But I agree with you 100%. Great stuff ... I wonder if a lobster bake is due :rolleyes: Although, I'm more of a crab person. After all, didn't this thread start out being about crabs?? Talk about being OT!

A.

Dammit, I knew I shouldn't have said anything! At least Canuckle didn't pull a Tom-Hanks-at-the-Oscars moment. Aside from the tears.

I have long obsessed over the cool-ness of the traditional New England clam bake, or Louisiana crawfish boil, etc. and the fact that we have not embraced this ourselves (or at least I haven't, in the same manner). The westcoast dungeoness is a much praised creature - so I would totally be into steaming / boiling a whole wack of them, laying them out on a picnic table covered with newspaper, and having at them!

Dammit, I knew I shouldn't have said anything! At least Canuckle didn't pull a Tom-Hanks-at-the-Oscars moment. Aside from the tears.

I have long obsessed over the cool-ness of the traditional New England clam bake, or Louisiana crawfish boil, etc. and the fact that we have not embraced this ourselves (or at least I haven't, in the same manner). The westcoast dungeoness is a much praised creature - so I would totally be into steaming / boiling a whole wack of them, laying them out on a picnic table covered with newspaper, and having at them!

Couple of provisos. Must be done at a beach, the beach must not be crowded. The crabs must be cooked in great huge pots over fires fueled by driftwood. Chardonay must flow like the Fraser during spring runoff.

Where and when?

Hmmm...could this be a mid-August adventure? My very first introduction to fresh crab was somewhat like this. My dad had a crab tank at my Grandma's place in Birch Bay and one night after the wine had started flowing, he decided to boil up a bunch of crabs. When I say a buch, I mean about 13 or 14. It was the best experience ever and one that I would like to do many more times in my life.

Looks like this idea is picking up steam (hey I could have said, "This idea is beginning to reach a rolling boil" but that would be stretching). Let me do some research and get back to yas.

Incidentally Peppyre, why mid-Aug? Public beach fires are generally out, I think Ambleside is the only one around here that allows? The deeper we get into summer, the worse it will get...

Mid-August just popped into my head for no particular reason. I guess I was just thinking of the warmth factor the farther we get into summer.

Well, I kind of have access to a place in Birch Bay and the beaches are pretty desserted there. I have also been know to drink on that beach without any repercussions, so that might be a good location. Just a thought......

Okay, City of Vancouver allows BBQs at some of its beaches - Jericho, Spanish Banks etc. but no open fires. No fires allowed at Ambleside either. However, I have learned that City of Richmond will issue beach fire permits. Not sure of the circumstances, cost, etc. but I will dig up more and post updates.

The alcohol thing, if we avoid ostentatious displays we should be okay. I know they crack down at the fireworks, but otherwise I've had beers <etc.> at the beach before and no big deal. Then again I haven't done so with Moosh or anyone else prone to high volume conversation... :raz:

The other option, possibly, is we all treat Peppyre real nice and maybe we'll get an invite to join her. :wink: Except how do we cross the boarder with a trunk-load of live crabs? Maybe play the old diversion card, sacrifice another vehicle by lacing with <illicit substance> while we cruise through with crustateans and stock pots?

Okay, City of Vancouver allows BBQs at some of its beaches - Jericho, Spanish Banks etc. but no open fires. No fires allowed at Ambleside either. However, I have learned that City of Richmond will issue beach fire permits. Not sure of the circumstances, cost, etc. but I will dig up more and post updates.

Excellent news. I'm sooooo looking forward to this....

The alcohol thing, if we avoid ostentatious displays we should be okay. I know they crack down at the fireworks, but otherwise I've had beers <etc.> at the beach before and no big deal. Then again I haven't done so with Moosh or anyone else prone to high volume conversation...  :raz:

Nobody seems to care that people regularly spark up Cheech-and-Chong-sized joints at the beach, so I'd imagine we'd be fine as long as we keep it discreet - like perhaps drinking out of plastic cups as opposed to very obvious-looking wine glasses....?

The other option, possibly, is we all treat Peppyre real nice and maybe we'll get an invite to join her. :wink: Except how do we cross the boarder with a trunk-load of live crabs? Maybe play the old diversion card, sacrifice another vehicle by lacing with <illicit substance> while we cruise through with crustateans and stock pots?

Given the size of the crustacean Canucklehead had, I'm thinking we could ride them out to Peppyre's place, a la Aquaman and the dolphins he used to ride!

Too many cartoons with my son this evening, methinks. :wacko:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Having grown up on the Chesapeake, I'd be THRILLED to be a part of this. Crab bakes (though we just called it "steamin' a few bushels of crabs") are something I grew up with and one of the few things I miss most about "home."

Along with Vancouver Lee, I'd be willing to share some of my precious Old Bay -- and I'd like to cook a pot done "Maryland-style" -- with lots of Old Bay and rock salt, and served with side dishes of vinegar, onion and black pepper instead of butter...

Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

Deborah wrote:

"Isn't it better to eat the really old ones than the younger ones who haven't had a chance to reproduce as much?

Maybe I'm just confused."

Actually, lobster fishermen have to measure the carapace of every lobster-the ones that are two small or too large have to go back in the ocean. The minimum size of the carapace is 3 1/4 inches and the max is 5 inches. Also, if the lobster is carrying eggs, she gets a notch cut in her tail and then she's thrown back in as well. All notched lobsters go back in th ocean, so the females have a better chance of reproducing. The really old boys (and gals) get to stay in the ocean and have as much sex as they want until the end of their days. Male lobsters (now don't get jealous guys) have two penuses (peni?) and pee out of their foreheads.

I've read that the 8 pounders weren't very tender, but the posts above dispute that observation.

In any case, I'm sure the 16-20 pounders are pretty chewy. The reason not to eat the big suckers is the amount of mercury and other evil substances they've had the chance to absorb through the water.

There's a really good book called The Secret Life of Lobsters by Trevor Corson, I would highly reccomend. There's an interview with him in the archives of salon.com.

If you want to read a woman's memoir's of lobster fishing: The Lobster Chronicles: Life on a Very Small Island by Linda Greenlaw Hyperion, New York, 2002

A crab bake sounds like a really fun eGullet event.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

The alcohol thing, if we avoid ostentatious displays we should be okay. I know they crack down at the fireworks, but otherwise I've had beers <etc.> at the beach before and no big deal. Then again I haven't done so with Moosh or anyone else prone to high volume conversation...  :raz:

Loud? Moi? No, no, you have it all wrong. I alone am not loud... perhaps only slightly noisy. Now, take me, add 8 drinks, add Tricia, Deborah, Jenn and Arne... then you have loud! :laugh:

I'm all for a crabfest. Whoever's organizing this one, please keep us posted on dates and such. The Mouse family will be away for a week or so in July, a week or so in August, and I'd hate to miss out on the crack 'n slurp!

You know, of course, that we need to cook a pot Asian style... cracked, with black bean sauce or some such concoction thereto.

served with side dishes of vinegar, onion and black pepper instead of butter...

Katherine, you have the right idea. I'll up it a notch by suggesting coconut, cane or palm vinegar and the addition of crushed garlic. Heaven. Absolute heaven.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

A recap of my conversation with Richmond Fire Dept:

ME: I'm calling about beach fire permits.

RFD: Uh, not anymore.

ME: Just for the summer? Or...

RFD: No, probably not ever.

I have no idea what the background story is, whether it's a general concern about wildfires or if some dumb kids had a huge bonfire that went awry, but Richmond is out.

As mentioned about, some Vancouver beaches (all along Spanish Banks) allow BBQs and even have briquette disposal bins. Just no "open" fires. We could go the route of Coleman burners under stock pots to get our crabs boiling, I think this would be acceptable.

Alternately we could "borrow" someone's backyard and forego the beach. Yes this would be sad, but may be necessary - unless anyone has access to a private beach on this side of the boarder.

I personally prefer the Vancouver beach idea, and will continue to pursue.

Well, if Richmond is out and the idea of smuggling 30lbs of live crab isn't everyone's cup of tea, then how about the beach and BBQ's. I can always get my dad's single propane burner (otherwise known as the giant torch) that he uses for his ...ummm..."wok"...setup...yeah...that's what it's used for. Would be good for at least one pot, and hey, it's really just a BBQ so that should be legal, right?

I'm planning on having crab for my mom's birthday in a few weeks, does anyone have any ideas for me. I'm thinking that giving each person a crab is out of the question, but what else could I do with them?

I'm planning on having crab for my mom's birthday in a few weeks, does anyone have any ideas for me.  I'm thinking that giving each person a crab is out of the question, but what else could I do with them?

Crab and Mango rolls...crab, mango, little scallion, hint o' wasabi, bit of lettuce, a few sesame seeds, wrapped in either Nori or Rice Paper wraps...

Mmmmmm....crab. Must go to the market this weekend.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Last week I ran a crab special at the restaurant. I had started out with 15 orders of crab, and it was completely sold out within 20 minutes. I was so shocked. It was a very simple preparation: Roasted Dungeness Crab with Salsa Verde. Culls are also pretty cheap, if you don't mind missing a leg or a claw. Yummy.

If you want to eat it hot - you could pre-cook them, cool them, break em up and then roast them at high heat with a sauce or dressing. Karen Barnaby has an interesting recipe in the Passionate Cook.

To have them cold - again pre-cook them, cool, break em up and serve them with a lemon vinegraite (sic - I know I can't spell), with chopped garlic, basil, and parsley.

If you want to eat it hot - you could pre-cook them, cool them, break em up and then roast them at high heat with a sauce or dressing.  Karen Barnaby has an interesting recipe in the Passionate Cook.

The last time that I cooked crab, I used a recipe from epicurious that used the above method and it was delicious. Oven Roasted Dungeness Crab. Almost as good the next day when I ate the leftovers.

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

I have a dozen small lobster (3/4pounds each -compared to the monster upthread, mine look like famine survivors) for Father's Day dinner tomorrow and seemed to remember reading a thread that suggested the best way to cook lobster is to steam them. I can't seem to find that thread but then again, at my advanced age much of what I think I read is simply my over-vivid imagination. Does anyone have any experience with steaming lobster?

Cheers,

Karole

No personal experience with steaming lobster, but I did manage to find you a recipe link and a second link featuring "Julia Child's Recipes for Cooking Succulent-Lobsters" [sic].. Hope they're of some help Karole!

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg