• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen Potatoes

Rachel Perlow

Potatoes do not generally freeze well, so I don't freeze potato soups or soups with potato as a thickener.

I found this in another thread, but read it here and heard it elsewhere often. However, I have never found it to be true. I freeze potatoes all the time. Here are some of the forms in which potatoes can be found in my freezer:

• Twice baked potatoes: Cut a baked potato in half, scoop out the insides, mix with various flavorings, fill potato shell and bake. In this case, fill shell and freeze. Bake from frozen for 30-40 minutes at 350F.
    Mashed potatoes: I always make too much. Freeze extra family meal sized-portions in an airtight plastic container. It is best if the container is completely full, so no air can get to the potatoes. Defrost in the microwave. As soon as it can be removed from the plastic, put the potatoes in a microwavable dish with lid, like a Corningware casserole. Microwave on high 1-2 minutes at a time, stirring at the breaks. It might look like they're separated and will never come together, but they will, trust me. Keep microwaving and stirring until steaming. Allow them to rest, they will absorb any remaining moisture. If desired, you can stir in some more milk, butter, cream, or stock at this point. Reheat for another minute or two before serving.
    In soups: I use potato as a thickener in some "cream of" vegetable soups, and it is diced in my minestrone and beef barley. No problem.
    Tater Tots: OK, they're frozen by the manufacturer, but hey, they're frozen potatoes too.
    Casseroles: If I have some leftover moussaka, for example, I will freeze them in individual portions for easy dinners. No problem with the potato layer reheating along with the ground meat and eggplant.
    Pot Pies: OK, so these aren't homemade either, but show me a chicken pot pie without potatoes... And, it's basically a stew inside a crust, so don't tell me you can't freeze stew.

So, how did this "don't freeze potatoes" myth get started? How do you freeze potatoes? Do you have any examples of how not to freeze potatoes where the adage is true?

I don't freeze much of anything, but when I have tried to freeze vegetable soups the potatoes were always mealy when I thawed and reheated the soup.

"the only thing we knew for sure about henry porter was that his name wasn't henry porter" : bob

I freeze potatoes all the time - soups, blanched fries, shepard's pie, twice-baked, stew, etc. I've never had a problem.

Occasionaly, a diced potato in a soup goes through a weird faze between the frozen and heated state (let's call it the thawed stage) when it is mealy. But once the soup is simmered and heated enough, they usually bounce back.

I freeze potatoes all the time - soups, blanched fries, shepard's pie, twice-baked, stew,  etc.  I've never had a problem.

Occasionaly, a diced potato in a soup goes through a weird faze  between the frozen and heated state (let's call it the thawed stage) when it is mealy.  But once the soup is simmered and heated enough, they usually bounce back.

The image of potatoes bouncing back is wonderful. Thanks. :smile:

I have frozen soups that had potatoes in them, with no problem. Could it have anything to do with the type of potato used?

I've frozen creamy spinach soup with potato and it was all weird when I defrosted it. Mealy and fluffy and gross. Heating and stirring it a lot didn't help much. I haven't tried to freeze anything potato-y since.

Tater tots, like other frozen potato products, are flash-frozen. This makes a big difference to the ice crystal formation--they form so fast, their jagged edges don't break as many cell walls. The result is less mealy mushy grossness when the frozen potato is defrosted and cooked.

With the exception of my Baked Potato Soup, I always use red potatoes in soups and stews (or occasionally Yukon Golds).

Malawry, what kinda potatoes did you freeze?

Edited by Pam R (log)

These were starchy baking-type potatoes, which I'd used to thicken and enrich the soup. This was a long long time ago but I've never forgotten it.