• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining suggestion needed for 2nite w/ 6 YO kid

ejebud

Listen, this isn't an attack on any particular cuisine or establishment but an answer to the question posed on this topic. I'm a father of 4, all between 10 & 14. I cook for a living and it's tough enough to figure out what to cook for them at home, nevermind finding a place out where they all like to eat. Kids are fickel and I've tried to expose my kids to different foods but it comes down to both feeding the kids and us, the parents, at the same time and I as others have said it's easier to hit a Macaroni Grill or Chili's than a Penang......and you all know I hate chains.

As far as your screaming kids, bring them up. You all could do what the other parents do when they bring them over. " You better quiet down, Lou's coming over".

I take the hit from the parents as the bad guy, the scary guy, but at the end I'm coming by with the ice cream and the kid's all love the big guy in the end. :wink:

Edited by Lreda (log)

There were many children dining with their parents at Saffron, East Hanover last night.

Yes Rosie, but do they have chicken nuggets/fingers? My 6 YO is less than willing to try new things like Indian food. It troubles me dearly!!

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

There were many children dining with their parents at Saffron, East Hanover last night.

Yes Rosie, but do they have chicken nuggets/fingers? My 6 YO is less than willing to try new things like Indian food. It troubles me dearly!!

Don't fret about what your 6 YO will and will not eat. Growing up, I was the pickiest eater in my family, and just a picky eater in general. Now I am the most adventurous eater in my family.

Take the child places where he can eat for now, and get a babysitter for those times when you're looking for bolder eating.

Edited by hitmanoo (log)

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

My 6 YO is less than willing to try new things like Indian food.

Ah, there's the rub, "new things." The thing about all the young children at places like Penang and Saffron, is that the vast majority of them are Indian or Asian (at both places), so the food there isn't new to them. You can't start bringing kids to (not their) ethnic restaurants when they are 6 and picky. You've got to start when they are babies. I remember watching with enjoyment the babies sitting in high chairs at dim sum, while mom fed them dumpling fillings with chopsticks. You gotta start them young.

Of course, I don't have any children, so feel free to ignore me. :wink:

Completely agree with Rachel here--if you start them early, most kids will try anything!! I have a niece and nephew who were both eating artichokes and mussels (hell, fighting for them) by age 3! And my other niece (now 3.5) started eating spicy hummus by the handful at about 1.5 years old. She has been to Saffron, where she scarfed down naan, rice, lentils and tandoori chicken. My friend's 15 month-old daughter can't eat enough spicy food right now--and I mean SPICY. Pepper-jack cheese, black bean soup that would make any adult sweat, olives (BLEAH), olives with FRUIT yogurt (double BLEAH)...the list goes on. There's a great thread here on What Children Shouldn't Like To Eat But Oddly, They Do. And as my mom is fond of pointing out, little kids from (insert country) have been eating that food since they went on solids, and they all do fine. It's my opinion that we'd have a better country of healthy/interesting eaters if we all encouraged them early on!

It's true that around 4-5 their taste buds start to change, but as Hitmanoo said, some of us also get them back as adults!! :laugh: I just try to expose kids to whatever music/food/culture/ideas/silly stuff I can while I can still influence them. And now the 3.5 year-old gets in my car and demands that I play "ELLA!" As in Fitzgerald. Can't beat that... :cool:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

wow, i'm surprised to hear people say an american grill is good for kids. we go out to eat often and we have discussed eating there a few times in the past few months, but i don't think i would feel comfortable bringing my infant there. i guess at some of the nicer restaurants i just don't feel like dealing with the evil eyes from some of the other patrons- it's generally not the staff.

i have been having lunch at the aag bar with one booth consisting of mom, dad and two kids. service was impeccible, kid friendly food and lou even put rugrats on the tv that they could see. very well behaved kids, too.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of six year olds would love Penang or Saffron.

Dad: "What would you like to eat tonight? How about a little beef satay or perhaps a little Pho?"

6 year old : "Dad, how about chicken fingers or Macaroni".

Dad: Come on now. We'll try something different. It'll be yummy.

6 year old: O.K. Dad.

2 hours later while trying to get 6 Year old to sleep and they're hungry you're hustling your ass to Wendy for a Combo.

I have not been to American Grill but I have been through crazy party runs on Rte 10 (funzone,bowling, even Michaels). I would re-recommend Don Jose again if, as is usually the case, you don't have the time to go the American Grill (adding 15-20 mintues commute time might not seem like a lot but when you have 45 minutes for dinner it becomes a sizable chunk.) In addition to chips/salsa/nachos on the menu they have CHICKEN fingers, plus food grownups might enjoy.

Depending on the kids, Penang might be a fine choice too. Can't say it'd fly with mine, but my niece sure.

AlisonA

Another option, depending where on Route 10 you are: Ritz Diner. Kids loved it (breakfast all day!). Now if you are far up it wouldn't work but down closer to Livingston it was a short shot at 8:00 tonight.

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

Last time I was at An American Grill there was a baby at the next table....we held our breath...but its hard to eat that way....The little angel was silent all night and much better dressed than her very pretty mommy...(long john top with a T-shirt and jeans)

Next time I will have to let my husband wear his nearly naked lady shirt....just a warning

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

If a child has issues with 'ethnic' food and you've got them for one night, trust me, it's not the night to try something 'different.' If burger king is their favorite place to go, then burger king it is. Just give them what they want and they'll have fun. Speaking of having fun... If you had a kid on route 10 and didn't take them to Maggie Moo's, you blew it ;) And, while we're on the topic, don't forget to swing by the sports and game funplex near taco bell (behind it maybe?). Kids go ballistic over that place.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm familiar with all the mediocre offerings on Rt 10 in the area, but is there a diamond in the rough in the casual dining genre that I'm forgetting or may not know about?

Don't know Rte. 10 very well but do know kids. A hibachi place can be fun, the sushi place down by Livingston Circle might work (most kids like white rice and tempura chicken will substitute for nuggets in a pinch). Don Jose's by the Home Depot looks like it has a decent kids menu:

Don Jose rte 10.

The link is to the dinner menu so you can see if that would work for you.

If all else fails, if there is an Applebees try them. They have the blue boxed brand of Mac and Cheese on the menu which most kids will go for. Not sure what you would get though : )

Good luck.

AlisonA

We just tried DON JOSE for a late lunch early dinner...whatever it is when you interupt staff meal :sad:

only customers... not intimidated, too hungry, started with their nice fresh warm corn chips with very nice salsa, not quite a puree and uniformly spicey, we ordered the queso fundido...slight funky broiled white cheese with sausage chunks and 4 flour tortillas.

We went the combo platter route to taste more things I got the #4 which is a beef chile relleno, a cheese enchilada and a chicken tamale. SO got the #1 containing beef burrito, cheese enchilada and chicken enchilada suiza. Both came with of course rice and refried beans both tasty.

Tamale was good with rich corn flavor but could have been saucier inside, beef burrito was well seasoned.

All in all darn good for 39.06 including 4 sodas.

Another 50 or so in goodies at the chinese market and a pair of shoes to round out the trip :cool:

tracey

too full to spell right

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association