• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Last Chance For Lombardi's Pizza

Holly Moore

Lombardi's Pizza on 18th Street, Philadelphia, along with much of the local neighborhood has been in an ongoing battle of sorts with condominium developers who purchased most of the buildings on that side of the block and plan to tear them down to build another Rittenhouse Square hi-rise. Looks like the developers have won. Surprise!

For a while Lombardi's was looking around for a replacement location in Center City. Turns out that nowadays retail rents in Philadelphia are approaching New York City rents.

So May 15 will be the last day for Lombardi's Philadelphia. I'll miss the place. One of Philadelphia's best pizza's. Ran circles around New York City's other coal oven pizza place with a Philadelphia outpose, Pietro's.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 2 weeks later...

We almost had lunch there yesterday, but I didn't quite have the appetite for pizza at that hour, so we had some panini at a little place across the street. Pretty good.

That's a great little block of 18th St though. Appalling that it's to be torn down for another high rise.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Perhaps the Pizza Club should have a memorial outing before it closes?

Seconded! If this takes off move plans to the Pizza Club thread.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 1 month later...

What???? Thanks for the heads up on this (although disapointing news) - I have to make it there before the close - this one is definitely better than the NY Lombardis in my opinion!

Lombardi's Pizza on 18th Street, Philadelphia, along with much of the local neighborhood has been in an ongoing battle of sorts with condominium developers who purchased most of the buildings on that side of the block and plan to tear them down to build another Rittenhouse Square hi-rise.  Looks like the developers have won.  Surprise!

For a while Lombardi's was looking around for a replacement location in Center City.  Turns out that nowadays retail rents in Philadelphia are approaching New York City rents. 

So May 15 will be the last day for Lombardi's Philadelphia.  I'll miss the place.  One of Philadelphia's best pizza's.  Ran circles around New York City's other coal oven pizza place with a Philadelphia outpose, Pietro's.