• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Castle in Ledgewood

Lreda

White Castle in Ledgewood on Rt 46 opened last Tuesday and has been packed. An hour wait on the average for the drive-thru and 40 minutes inside. Sue and I went Sat morning at 11:30 and waited 25 minute inside to place and receive our order which wasn't bad. As I finished work Sat after tallying the night, a less than average Sat ( Can't wait for the weather to change), I got to thinking how much White Castle will make this week.

I figured if each person ordered a minimum of $10 worth of food and drink, usually people order for groups when they hit W.C. but I'll figure each person at $10. While I was waiting there were 60-70 people ordering and waiting during my 25 minutes not including the cars lined up on Rt 46 which in a hour I figure they'll served 80 cars. That's $1700.00 dollars every 1/2 hour and not at peak time, remember we were there in the morning.

White Castle stands to make in it's opening week approx $230,000.

I'm in the wrong business.

I figured if each person ordered a minimum of $10 worth of food and drink, usually people order for groups when they hit W.C. but I'll figure each person at $10. While I was waiting there were 60-70 people ordering and waiting during my 25 minutes not including the cars lined up on Rt 46 which in a hour I figure they'll served 80 cars.  That's $1700.00 dollars every 1/2 hour and not at peak time, remember we were there in the morning.

The Morristown Record reported last week that the new store was on track to have one of the highest week grosses on record for WC stores.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I love White Castle dearly - there is one around the corner from my office and I go far more often then my wife will ever know. I love the way they taste all day long. I love White Star, White Rose, White Manna - I love chili dogs and texas weiners and Rutt's special relish. Holly Moore and Calvin Trillin are role models and constant sources of inspiration. I know, here, I am not alone in these sentiments.

The right business to be in Tagamet and Mylanta.

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

On my way from Morristown to Hackettstown last Friday, I

lucked out with just a 20 minute wait for the drive thru.

Passing by at other times and days, I see long lines of cars

with their engines shut off because the wait is so long.

lou-

i know why harold and kumar went to white castle but why would you sit in the drive in line for 1/2 an hour when there are really good burgers at this place called An American Grill? :shock:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Because I grew up in The Bronx with a White Castle across the street. In addition this W.C. wasn't that good, burgers were flavorless, guess that hppen cause they don't sit on the onions enough due to the rapidness in which they're put in those cute boxes.

I expect Harold & Kumar to be stopping by my house during my convelesence with the proper medication. :shock:

I love White Castles too. I don't understand it; they're garbage. But if I were on death row, they would be among the last meal, right up there with a frisee and lardon salad, roast chicken and pomme frites. We have a few locations here in Manhattan, and one of my most guilty pleasures is to take them to the movies on a weekday afternoon. (Now, that's pathetic!) It does not surprise me that the Ledgewood location is doing so well. "It's the taste you crave." :wub:

Edited by emmapeel (log)

Emma Peel

White Castle in Ledgewood on Rt 46 opened last Tuesday and has been packed. An hour wait on the average for the drive-thru and 40 minutes inside. Sue and I went Sat morning at 11:30 and waited 25 minute inside to place and receive our order which wasn't bad. As I finished work Sat after tallying the night, a less than average Sat ( Can't wait for the weather to change), I got to thinking how much White Castle will make this week.

I figured if each person ordered a minimum of $10 worth of food and drink, usually people order for groups when they hit W.C. but I'll figure each person at $10. While I was waiting there were 60-70 people ordering and waiting during my 25 minutes not including the cars lined up on Rt 46 which in a hour I figure they'll served 80 cars.  That's $1700.00 dollars every 1/2 hour and not at peak time, remember we were there in the morning.

I go to the one in Clifton for breakfast and there's no line! I guess you're just going at the wrong time!

I go to the one in Clifton for breakfast and there's no line!  I guess you're just going at the wrong time!

not at all. it just is the first one this far out in morris county and all the people who moved from bergen and union are flooding the place :blink:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites