• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First Ever NY eGullet Pot Luck Dinner

stefanyb

Who of you out there would be interested in a Pot Luck Dinner that will be held somewhere in lower Manhattan? (we think we have a place)

Sunday, June 2nd around 5:00

We can begin here to hash out various details in order to get a sense of the reponse  but eventually interested parties will need to messenger B. Edulis or Stefanyb for the specifics and to reserve a spot.

The place we have in mind can only accommodate 12-20 people, so.......

stefanyb -- Thanks for coordinating on the pot-luck. I expect to be in town on that day, and would like to attend.

As I have no cooking skills, items I could bring would be limited to: champagne/wine, smoked fish, cheese, pastries from Payard (if the place is open on Saturday or Sunday), or, my currently preferred option, a comparison of chocolates from Maison du Chocolat and chocolates mail-ordered from Wegman's (Pierre Herme line).  :wink:

Liza -- On a serious note, monkfish liver might be tasty.  :wink:

Rosie:  I definitely will keep you posted if the date changes.

Cabrales:  What luck!  I'm sure you'll be able to come up with something to bring whether it be food or something else, no matter.

Liza: Monk fish liver is a fave of mine!  Does this mean the date is good for you?

I would love to participate.  I will be happy to make anything -sweet or savory - my choice or organizers preference.  It might be a good idea to make general assignments so that we don't end up with too many desserts or salads or whatever.  Are non-cooking spouses invited?

Are non-cooking spouses invited?

I really don't want to be the one to make all the decisions but my instinct tells me that if there is an outpouring of interest by eGulleteers then we would want to limit it to members since seating is limited.  Lets see what happens.

Cabrales et al,

Monkfish liver IS tasty - B Edulis and I have experimented a few times with liver from our local fisherman, Alex Villani. If you like, I shall put in a special order with him to guarantee it's presence on the menu.

Any other special seasonal items can of course be specially requested.

I'm interested, but due to vacation plans, I wouldn't want to make anything too elaborate or something I'd have to buy the ingredients for days in advance. Other than that, I can probably make anything you give me a recipe for or we can bring something store bought. Give us an assignment please.

Rachel,

I'm thinking that participants would submit a short list of what they might like to bring and we will coordinate a menu from the lists. I think that its always good to have people come with something they do well, it makes for a better event.

Of course, any suggestions about procedure are welcome.

Glad to have you aboard.

SB

I'm thinking that participants would submit a short list of what they might like to bring and we will coordinate a menu from the lists

i would like to bring the following:

dazzling wit.

charming personality.

good looks.

Mr T.

If you attend you couldn't help but bring those things :smile:  :smile:

May I take that as a yes?

Mr T.

If you attend you couldn't help but bring those things :smile:  :smile:

May I take that as a yes?

oh come on stefanyb, i left you wide open for the obvious.   i mean, i was going to conclude my post with "and, of course, this will all be store bought", but i figured i'd leave it open a bit for y'all.  you could have said something like "oh good, you're bringing mrs. tommy", or something like that.  but thanks for the kind words.  

and regretfully i probably won't be joining you.  i can only imagine what might happen with you 6 women and me in one room for a night....and =mark too.  :wow: