• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First Ever NY eGullet Pot Luck Dinner

stefanyb

Cabrales et al,

Monkfish liver IS tasty - B Edulis and I have experimented a few times with liver from our local fisherman, Alex Villani. If you like, I shall put in a special order with him to guarantee it's presence on the menu.

about 10 people in Japan die each year from eating fugu (I think from eating the liver).

Speaking of liver, BON or other members, do Japanese people tend to eat fish liver other than monkfish and fugu? I recently had a liver of cod at a friend's place, and it was very yummy (not at all reminiscent of cod liver oil).

Leads on fish liver sampling (incl. monkfish liver) in NYC, London or Paris would be appreciated.  :wink:

Liza -- How have you and B Edulis prepared monkfish liver?  :wink:  Of course, I don't know how to get them. I've had them on blinis at a friend's place, and that simple preparation was nice (since the livers were sufficiently fresh).   :wink:

I've soaked the liver in orange juice for about 30 minutes to firm it up, then steamed for an additional thirty, and served with a light soy vinagrette. B Edulis has followed the Nobu recipe for monkfish pate, which calls for soaking the liver in salted water for 30 minutes, then wrapping in plastic and foil and steaming again. It is served with a Mustard Su-Miso Sauce of Japanese mustard, hot water, miso and rice vinegar.

And don't forget the dollop of caviar for the top! It was delicious, and perfect for a cooperative dinner, since it isn't served hot.

Cabrales, on Iron Chef they frequently use fish innards -- livers, and um, other parts. One once took the cartilage from inside a skate wing and deepfried it -- beautiful and tasty! I had fish testicle sushi once in Tokyo.

I'm so glad that there's interest in the dinner. It's going to be fun and delicious.

All this talk of fish liver and testicles and caviar is making me nervous. What is the goal of the dinner? A gourmand extravaganza of interesting or unique items or more casual fare as a basis to just get together and meet online friends? Either is fine, but the tone of the evening will probably affect who wants to participate.

All this talk of fish liver and testicles and caviar is making me nervous. What is the goal of the dinner? A gourmand extravaganza of interesting or unique items or more casual fare as a basis to just get together and meet online friends? Either is fine, but the tone of the evening will probably affect who wants to participate.

Rachel,

Don't worry.  It'll be whatever the participants make of it.  We will cull the dishes from everyone's own list.  Some will be exotic and others will be someone's personal fave.  The more diverse, the more fun.

It'll be a menu beyond compare, I'm sure.

I'll probably make my special Piquant Salmon Rolls...

salmnrolltxt.jpg

As seen on the TV Food Network special "Eat the Heat"

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Mark -- Looks good. Can you describe a bit the items inside the salmon wrapping?  :wink:

It's a cream cheese mixture with chopped nuts, green onions and powdered or fresh chiles depending on who I serve them to (A little cayenne for "normal" folks, fresh AND dried habaneros for the chileheads).

The complete recipe is Here.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

• 2 weeks later...

Stefany and I spoke last night, and we need to firm up the menu for the pot luck -- so it's last call to join us! If you're planning to attend, please send stefanyb a list of dishes you could contribute. We'll work together to decide what would be most harmonious and let know know early next week which of your dishes you should bring. There will be serving utensils and a variety of bowls and platters, etc., microwave, oven, 4 burners. And lots of fun and too many cooks in the kitchen, no doubt!

What's the menu again?  And when?

I can probably join, if the potluck's on a weekend.  It'll be a main course type of thing, something us mere mortals can do.   :raz:

And can I make use of the facilities on the premises?  Pot lucks and I don't mix if I have to do the cooking off-site.  It's the travelling thing, ya know.

What's the menu again?  And when?

I can probably join, if the potluck's on a weekend.  It'll be a main course type of thing, something us mere mortals can do.   :raz:

And can I make use of the facilities on the premises?  Pot lucks and I don't mix if I have to do the cooking off-site.  It's the travelling thing, ya know.

Love to have you!    Sunday, June 2nd around 5 o'clock, downtown Manhattan.  I think cooking there would be fine but messenger B edulis to confirm that and also tell what you would like to make.

Great!

Those coming to dinner:

Liza

B Edulis

Sandra Levine

Stefanyb

Mark Stevens

Helena Sarin

Cabrales

Nina Wugmeister

Rachel Perlow

Jason Perlow

Soba Addict

Everyone please confirm and messenger your list of possibilities.  Specific details like address will be sent by messenger to you.

Also, everyone should bring a bottle of wine (it doesn't have to be anything esoteric although its okay if it is :smile: )

Tommy, I hope you do, but you need to bring something! How about flowers?

Or did your post mean that you don't want to eat? I'd like to see how long that would last!  :wink:

sorry for the confusion, but i won't be attending. although i wish i were!

and, i *always* bring flowers.

HELLO.Iam a new member of this club,and if possible I would like to give and idea for you pot luck dinner.From just scanning through the other messages the topic of monkfish liver was on the plate.I would suggest that you use monkfish liver and duck liver to make a surf and turf kind of dish.First soak bothlivers in seasoned milk for a while.Make a pomergrante chutney and a port and thyme syrup.Score both liver and sear both livers and garnish it with micro mache to end it with a little spice.  :wink: