• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Wee Bit of Patting Myself on the Back

Daniel Rogov

Following is an email/press release that I received. Forgive a bit of self-promotion but in truth, I couldn't resist posting it. I agree - no "big deal" but at least a "mini big deal" for me.

From: "nina glimvall" <nina.glimvall@destinationgrythyttan.se>

To: drogov@cheerful.com

CC:

Subject: Israel - Press Release GOURMAND

Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:18:20 +0100

Israel – Press Release

February 12, 2005

A Toast for Peace!

The “ 10th Gourmand World Cookbook Awards” took place on February 11 in Sweden, with over 320 attendees from 29 countries. At the Awards Ceremony followed by a Gala Banquet :

“The Arab-Israeli Cookbook” received the Special Award of the “Taste for

Peace” Association, from the hands of its founder Pepa Aymami, from

Barcelona. The “Arab-Israeli Cookbook” was written by Robin Soans, with a

foreword by Claudia Roden, and published by Aurora Metro Publications in

Great Britain.

Then the “Rogov’s Guide to Israeli Wines”, by Daniel Rogov, was announced as one of the three best wine guide in the world this year. It is very important for Israeli wines to be better known around the world, and Daniel Rogov is the world expert on the subject.

About the “Gourmand World Cookbook Awards”

The awards are the “Oscars” of the food and wine world. They were created at the Frankfurt Book Fair 10 years ago to reward those who “cook and drink with words”, and promote the international food book business. There are now 24.000 cookbooks published every year, which is the double of 1994. Growth has been steady ever the past 10 years, pulled by the numerous new television food shows around the world. In contrast, the general book market has been stagnant with very small growth.

The founder and president of the awards Edouard Cointreau was born in the families of Cointreau liqueur, and Remy Martin and Frapin cognacs. His

family has had vineyards since 1270, and the famous french writer of the

16th century, Rabelais, son of a Frapin, is an ancestor.

The “Gourmand World Cookbook Awards” now receive approximately 5000 books from 67 countries for the competition each year. There are 34 categories for “Best in the World” cookbooks, and 14 for “Best in the World” wine books. ...

Edited by Daniel Rogov (log)

Mazal Tov, Daniel!

Marlena

Following is an email/press release that I received. Forgive a bit of self-promotion but in truth, I couldn't resist posting it. I agree - no "big deal" but at least a "mini big deal" for me.

From: "nina glimvall" <nina.glimvall@destinationgrythyttan.se>

To: drogov@cheerful.com

CC:

Subject: Israel - Press Release GOURMAND

Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:18:20 +0100

Israel – Press Release

February 12, 2005

A Toast for Peace!

The “ 10th Gourmand World Cookbook Awards” took place on February 11 in Sweden, with over 320 attendees from 29 countries. At the Awards Ceremony followed by a Gala Banquet :

“The Arab-Israeli Cookbook” received the Special Award of the “Taste for

Peace” Association, from the hands of its founder Pepa Aymami, from

Barcelona. The “Arab-Israeli Cookbook” was written by Robin Soans, with a

foreword by Claudia Roden, and published by Aurora Metro Publications in

Great Britain.

Then the “Rogov’s Guide to Israeli Wines”, by Daniel Rogov, was announced as one of the three best wine guide in the world this year. It is very important for Israeli wines to be better known around the world, and Daniel Rogov is the world expert on the subject.

About the “Gourmand World Cookbook Awards”

The awards are the “Oscars” of the food and wine world. They were created at the Frankfurt Book Fair 10 years ago to reward those who “cook and drink with words”, and promote the international food book business. There are now 24.000 cookbooks published every year, which is the double of 1994. Growth has been steady ever the past 10 years, pulled by the numerous new television food shows around the world. In contrast, the general book market has been stagnant with very small growth.

The founder and president of the awards Edouard Cointreau was born in the families of Cointreau liqueur, and Remy Martin and Frapin cognacs. His

family has had vineyards since 1270, and the famous french writer of the

16th century, Rabelais, son of a Frapin, is an ancestor.

The “Gourmand World Cookbook Awards” now receive approximately 5000 books from 67 countries for the competition each year. There are 34 categories for “Best in the World” cookbooks, and 14 for “Best in the World” wine books. ...

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Mazel Tov from Philly too! Way to go, Daniel! Looking forward to hearing more from you on this subject.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Congratulations!! And I'm consistently amazed at how they get ignored by most of the wine press. Israeli winemakers are lucky to have you in their corner.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 3 months later...

Post-script:

There's a play based on the Arab-Israeli Cookbook (or vice versa?), and so called.

The old adage "you are what you eat" is never far from anyone's mind during the drama that ensues. Each of these residents of Jerusalem, Haifa, Tel Aviv, Bethlehem or a West Bank refugee camp, whether they are Muslim, Jewish or Christian, talks about family, food and the hope for a better future.

Read the rest here:

Food and conflict merge on stage in 'The Arab-Israeli Cookbook'; After its West End success in 2004 Soans' play takes Los Angeles by storm

Michael aka "Pan"

Good on ya man!!!!!

Don't feel shy about your victories.

I checked out your website for a glance.

Liked it enough to bookmark it, so that means I will come back to it over and over again.

Congrats and enjoy the accolades.

Cheers, Steve

slowfood/slowwine

Congrats!

I thnk I am ready to buy a copy.

Recently I was in a friends wine shop in NJ.

He is a conservative jew and we were talking about the middle east.

I remarked that it is odd Israel does nor produce fine wines given the climat.

And the success of wineries like Ch Mussar in lebanon.

My friend led me to an area of his shop where there were several Israeli wines displayed and told me that israel could be the next "big area" for fine wines!