• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The NJ Supermarket Sale topic

jhlurie

We've got a topic specifically on Shoprite, but it seems a slightly wider topic might be useful, since NJ has about a dozen different Supermarket chains--more if you count independants.

The Supermarket Generic Products in NJ topic might also be a useful resource for NJ folks looking to save money.

Also, as a resource, here are links to online version of the sales circulars of a number of major NJ serving chains:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I'll start with an odd one, but it's probably info much wanted by those who are into this place. Han Ah Reum, the Korean supermarket chain, seems to be having a monster sale this week. Due to my lack of Korean reading skills I can't swear this applies to all locations, but I was at the Little Ferry store and things were in full swing there. Pretty much ALL of the produce is on sale, and a lot of the rest of the store too. The end date is Jan 27th 2005, so hurry up.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

just picked up from ack-ah-me (acme):

brown's bird seed 4 lb. for 1.00 (80 lbs.)

gatorade 32 oz - 1.00 per bottle (only the clear ones for johnnybird, thank you)

acme ketchup 32 oz. - 1.00 per bottle

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

If you shop on Saturday, as many folks do, be aware that the chains in NJ run their sale weeks differently. I know Shoprite runs Sunday-Saturday, but A & P runs Friday-Thursday. I once found this out the hard way by saving the A&P circular from the Sunday paper until the following Saturday only to find out that the sale was over!!

I don't know what days the other chains run, but that info could be helpful...

If you shop on Saturday, as many folks do, be aware that the chains in NJ run their sale weeks differently.  I know Shoprite runs Sunday-Saturday, but A & P runs Friday-Thursday.  I once found this out the hard way by saving the A&P circular from the Sunday paper until the following Saturday only to find out that the sale was over!! 

I don't know what days the other chains run, but that info could be helpful...

I think A & P runs Saturday-Friday, along with King's. Stop & Shop runs Sunday-Saturday still.

SHOPRITE!!! WOW!!! Whole pork loin with club card comes to $.99 a pound. It cost me 8 bucks for a (you guessed it) an 8 pound loin. I cut it into 1 large roast and 10 thick chops. Froze them on a sheetpan then Vacuum seal with the trusty Foodsaver. One per visit so I'm going back today.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

SHOPRITE!!! WOW!!!  Whole pork loin with club card comes to $.99 a pound. It cost me 8 bucks for a (you guessed it) an 8 pound loin.  I cut it into 1 large roast and 10 thick chops.  Froze them on a sheetpan then Vacuum seal with the trusty Foodsaver.  One per visit so I'm going back today.

we bought one of those and did the same thing!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I never did get back for a second visit/pork loin, though. :sad: The 10 lb one we got was cut up into several packages of trimmed boneless chops, a roast, and some cut up into cubes. I made a pichadino with the cubed. I also saved the fat & silverskin trimmings. The bag is in the "outdoor fridge" -- a cooler on the deck. Any idea what I should do with that other than render lard?

• 2 weeks later...
I don't usually think of it for groceries, but our new Walgreens has a LED sign flashing their ads, we pulled in for large eggs, 99 cents per dozen. They're still on sale, through the 12th. They also have Emerald Nuts on sale, so I'll just have to force myself to try some. :laugh:

This is the normal, "non-sale" price for eggs at Trader Joe's. (They don't have sales). Also, TJs has a great selection of nuts at bargain prices. Probably a superior quality to Walgreen's as well...

I've been to the one in Westwood, but it hardly takes 12 minutes for me to get there. More like 25 or 30 because its all local roads and a lot of lights.

The only thing in Westwood that currently would attract me to there on a regular basis to go to TJ's as a side trip would be the Westwood branch of Its Greek To Me, and only because they serve "peinirli", which is a kind of Greek pizza with melted kasseri cheese and gyro meat on top that is unique to that location, none of the other ones have it. Here is an example of a Peinirli.

http://www.pizza-vegas.com/imgs/peinirli.gif

That being said, for most other greek dishes, I'd probably rather go Greek Village, the place in the Northvale instead.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I've been to the one in Westwood, but it hardly takes 12 minutes for me to get there. More like 25 or 30 because its all local roads and a lot of lights.

The only thing in Westwood that currently would attract me to there on a regular basis to go to TJ's as a side trip would be the Westwood branch of Its Greek To Me, and only because they serve "peinirli", which is a kind of Greek pizza with melted kasseri cheese and gyro meat on top that is unique to that location, none of the other ones have it. Here is an example of a Peinirli.

Wow, I respectfully disagree on a couple of points here...

Knickerbocker Road to High Street in Closter, left turn, and a straight run 4 miles into Westwood. Should take a MAX of 15-17 minutes.

Secondly, TJs is a destination place. No need to do anything else. A unique store, with quality, variety, and low pricing along with many unique items make it worthwhile enough to be a weekly stop.

17 minutes! Not in my P.O.S car it don't!

Weekly stop? I'm lucky to get anything done at all during the week.

• 10 months later...

Pathmark frequently plays second-fiddle to Shoprite in terms of sales, but I was in one today and saw a few "get right on it" kinds of deals.

First of all, they had about the best sale on canned soda I've seen in a major supermarket for a while. The basic part of the sale was om all Coke brands, 4 twelve packs of 12 ounce cans for 10 bucks. Already that's pretty good. But on top of that, there's a combination deal (at least in the Pathmark in Fort Lee) that rewards you with a free 8 pack of 16 ounce bottles along with any purchase of 4 twelve packs. So you get... er... 704 ounces of soda--in small portions and potentially as many as 5 varieties--for 10 bucks. Period.

Clementines, which I've noticed hovering between 5 and 7 dollars a crate are $3.99 this week. Again, check your local store (you can do this online at the Pathmark.com website by displaying your local circular)--this could have been a Fort Lee price.

Another price which seemed pretty good to me was $1.99 for a 5 pound bag of sweet potatoes.

It was a big sale week with a huge circular, but the above is what I noticed.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 3 months later...

This thread petered out much longer ago than I'd remembered.

Anyway, Stop & Shop had asparagus (Mexican) yesterday for $0.98 a pound with their price card ($1.98 w/o card).

Does that qualify as a bargain or am I just jaded by Whole Foods' prices?

Anyway it was quite fresh & tasty, considering how far it had travelled. No, doesn't compare with the NJ Fresh stuff at the farmers' markets, but to tide one over till our season hits, it's not bad.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Hmm, I don't recall using a recipe. I probably browned floured pork cubes. Deglazed the pan with wine, broth, braised the pork for a while, then added clams & shrimp, some olives. Lid on for 5-10 minutes, until clams & shrimp (? definitely clams, not sure about the shrimp) are done. Serve with rice. Sorry, not more of an exact recipe, but the main thing is to have a nice dark brown sauce by well browning the meat for the gravy.

Stop and Shop

pepsi 5 - 12pk for $10

chicken cutlet $1.49

Ronzoni and Edy's also sales

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association