• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The NJ Supermarket Sale topic

jhlurie

WHole Foods has been having an extended sale (last week & this) on halibut steaks for $8.99. It's a sale in their world at any rate, I haven't seen halibut elsewhere lately so can't say whether this is a real sale.

But I can say that the halibut is very fresh & quite delicious! :biggrin:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 1 month later...

Stop and Shop

lobsters on sale....5.99 lb for 6 to 8 pound lobsters

we are sadley clearing out the fridge before vacation so I had to pass

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Stop and Shop

I find Shop Rites lobsters are usually the 'soft shell' variety or old...make sure you can see, feel and smell them before ou buy 'em

http:/www.etuinc.com

No, that's absolutely not true. I've had two recently, a 6 lb. and a 9 lb., and they were hard shell and top-notch, and fresh tasting as can be - sweet and delicious.

http://www.guyarts.com/lobsters.html

Stop and Shop

I find Shop Rites lobsters are usually the 'soft shell' variety or old...make sure you can see, feel and smell them before ou buy 'em

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Funny story. Picked up a 5 lb. lobster at Stop and Shop. All fine and dandy. The man working the seafood counter, however, could not understand how to kill the thing. First I explained where to plunge the knife in on the back plate at least three times. He still wanted to cut across the beast. Then I took the live lobster in my hands and literally drew with my finger where the cut should be.

He then takes it back to cutting board and tries to cut across the thing. I tell him to go the other way. He does. He the proceeds to try to saw through the shell, even after I had told him to plunge it down. This continues even after he stops and I reexplain the process several times. I offered to go back and do it myself. He declines. Macho egos seem to be suffering at this point. Random poultry stocking clerk comes back and watches. Finally after explaining about five more times he plunges the knife in but doesnt' finish the cut. After I explain it again, he finally finishes the job.

I hate incompetence.

Funny story.  Picked up a 5 lb. lobster at Stop and Shop...  The man working the seafood counter, however, could not understand how to kill the thing.>snip< ... I offered to go back and do it myself.

I hate incompetence.

I know this might sound like I'm trying to be a wiseguy or something :cool: but, if you're willing to do the "job" yourself, why would you *want* to sub-contract it out to the Stop 'N' Shop guy in the first place? I would have thought that freshness was a concern when buying any lobster and unless you had a boiling pot of water or a grill going out in the RV....

Or is it just a matter of not wanting to transport a live lobster?

Funny story.  Picked up a 5 lb. lobster at Stop and Shop...   The man working the seafood counter, however, could not understand how to kill the thing.>snip< ... I offered to go back and do it myself.

I hate incompetence.

I know this might sound like I'm trying to be a wiseguy or something :cool: but, if you're willing to do the "job" yourself, why would you *want* to sub-contract it out to the Stop 'N' Shop guy in the first place? I would have thought that freshness was a concern when buying any lobster and unless you had a boiling pot of water or a grill going out in the RV....

Or is it just a matter of not wanting to transport a live lobster?

Also sounds like it would have been more humane for the poor lobster.

Edited by Cook456 (log)

Indeed it would have. I more or less went straight home and cooked it so the time differential was really not that significant. Again, I could have done it myself, and, yes, I should have. It's just easier to have someone do it, kind of like outsourcing basic assembly to China, but if you want it done right, do it yourself.