• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Bread Baker's Apprentice" by Reinhart

Marcia

Wow! Vengroff - that's some really good looking bread.

So far I've tried the foccacia and the cinnamon raisin bread (omitted walnuts). Can't offer any documentary evidence because I forgot to take pictures. Both times! :wacko: I will now post a sign on the fridge to remind myself to take pictures.

One question: I did the cinnamon raisin bread by hand. PR instructs that the dough should be kneaded for 8 minutes, and then the 1 1/2 C raisins added and gently kneaded for another 2 minutes for even distribution. Being a new baker, I kept having trouble with escaping raisins during this last part. Any suggestions?

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

A few of my friends initially balked at the idea of "meat bread," as they called it, but once they tasted it they were convinced. I think it would probably also make great toast to pair with some scrambled eggs.

If your friends ever scoff at the idea of "meat bread" again, you can always send some to me and my friends :raz:

Gorgeous pictures of your gorgeous bread.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Oh Spring! Last Sunday it was sunny and 78 degrees and my loaves rose majesticly. Today it is cloudy, damp and 45 and there ain't much happening. I had to bring out my cold weather proofing rig again. A hot pad in an overturned cardboard box to make anything happen. Making a light wheat loaf today with a good amount of yeast that really does not need a long slow ferment. My brother in law is one of those guys who can make anything and is an electrician by trade. I may ask him to build me some sort of proofing box one day. He likes my bread, so it would be a good trade

So here is a little bit of fun. A week from next Saturday we've invited a dozen or so of my husbad's students for a Philadelphia theme party. I am planning to make cheese steaks and possibly have available the fixin's for italian hoagies. Since I am in the godforsaken midwest, I will have to bake my own italian rolls. What are PH's rolls like? How crusty is the crust? Do you think they would work for the steaks or would they be too hard? Also, will they still be okay if baked a day in advance?

I'm also making shoofly pie :smile: and if I can figure out how to do it, "wooder ice" (Yeah, I'm a little homesick.)

edit: sorry, I meant PR, not PH, and italian bread, not rolls. :hmmm:

Edited by Behemoth (log)

. Since I am in the godforsaken midwest, I will have to bake my own italian rolls

edit: sorry, I meant PR, not PH, and italian bread, not rolls.  :hmmm:

I've made this recipe twice and it would be excellent for Philly sandwiches. It's not nearly as crusty as the French bread and has a soft crumb as well. Also easy to work with and shape as needed. I think you'd be happy with it.

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

We had a small dinner party last night (in advance of the giant Philly bash next week). Made epis:

gallery_17531_173_10076.jpg

Seth posted a link somewhere to a King Arthur Flour lesson on how to shape them -- i found it really useful.

Do the holes on the surface of the one on the right mean the dough was overproofed? I have to say the flavor was phenomenal.

Let me ask you, where did you find panettone papers?

I got them at Sur La Table in Seattle. $0.75 each. They don't, however, seem to offer them on their web site. If I was doing this in volume I'd hope to get them for a lot less, but I have no idea where.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Those epis look great.  Epis has been one of my favorite breads for a long time.  Which formula did you use for them?

Thanks! I used the pain de campagne formula. What else would you use? L'Ancienne? Or some sort of sourdough?

Those epis look great.  Epis has been one of my favorite breads for a long time.  Which formula did you use for them?

Thanks! I used the pain de campagne formula. What else would you use? L'Ancienne? Or some sort of sourdough?

I was thinking of trying the french bread formula. I think the ancienne would probably be too wet to effectively cut and shape.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

hi everyone! first time poster to eGullet here so a bit nervous ...

in pastry school, we do use the french baguette recipe to make epis - very easy to shape and come out beautiful once baked.

We had a small dinner party last night (in advance of the giant Philly bash next week). Made epis:

gallery_17531_173_10076.jpg

Took a break from your weekly ciabatta I see :biggrin: ? They look gorgeous.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Behemoth these look phenomenal. I use PR's instructions when I make mine to shape them. So much simpler than they look. I really thought this shape needs some special skills but turns out all you have to do is cut and move off-center :smile:. I would think you can do them with any firm dough formula, not ciabatta or Ancienne.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I would think you can do them with any firm dough formula, not ciabatta or Ancienne.

That makes sense. Do people like the French bread better than the Campagne? 'Cause I'm really liking the Campagne.

I bought a bunch of wheat germ & brown rice at the health food store today. As soon as my whitebread eatin' spouse (and he's German, can you believe it?) travels in 2 weeks, I am trying out all th whole grain stuff :smile:

I would think you can do them with any firm dough formula, not ciabatta or Ancienne.

That makes sense. Do people like the French bread better than the Campagne? 'Cause I'm really liking the Campagne.

I bought a bunch of wheat germ & brown rice at the health food store today. As soon as my whitebread eatin' spouse (and he's German, can you believe it?) travels in 2 weeks, I am trying out all th whole grain stuff :smile:

I love the Campagne as well, but variety is always good.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Currently have the marble rye rising......could be interesting, I got the flour from a Finnish bakery, there is no english at all on the packet, but the bkaer assured me in very broken English that it was light rye.....the dough was quite dry and took all the water suggested plus an extra tablespoon or so.

Will post later on the results, but feel free to post any tips in the meantime.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I made the marbled rye a while back (I think it's on page 3 or 4 of this thread) and it was so easy and really delicious as well. I made a spiral batard but FoodMan mentioned that he baked his in a loaf pan which I think would make it easier to use for sandwiches. How are you darkening the dark rye portion? I used instant coffee and it worked just fine without leaving any bitter taste. PR recommends liquid caramel coloring which I didn't have on hand but also suggested the instant coffee or cocoa powder. Enjoy your bread! Very cool that you are using Finnish rye flour.

Thanks, glossyp. I am darkening the rye with espresso!!!! I didn't have any caramel, no instant coffee etc. and hope this will work. I too made batards (well, sort of, my shaping still needs work) will post pics later!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I am excited to finally join this thread! Today I made the Middle Class Brioche with excellent results. The interior of this bread is deleriously soft and fluffy. I used half of the dough to make one large brioche à tête and the other half to make a craquelin. Craquelin is brioche dough with sugar cubes (mine were soaked in vanilla and orange zest) inside and then wrapped with a thin layer of plain brioche dough. It is to-die-for!

gallery_21419_862_324917.jpg

gallery_21419_862_417275.jpg

gallery_21419_862_629002.jpg

gallery_21419_862_836102.jpg

I wish the picture could convey how amazingly soft this bread is.

gallery_21419_862_665506.jpg

This is a shot of a slice of the craquelin. You can see the gooey pocket made by the sugar.

gallery_21419_862_812642.jpg

I learned the technique for craquelin in an artisanal bread class at FCI that I took last month. I made brioche in that class as well as in a pastry class I took there, but the brioche I made in those classes was not as rich as this one. This one is so good. I just cannot imagine what the Rich Man's Brioche must taste like!

I only let this rest in the refrigerator for the minimum four hours. One weekend I will plan ahead better and give it an overnight rest and see whether I can taste a difference.

Edited by Laura B (log)

Aloha Laura B!

What perfect brioche and lovely pictures. The craquelin sounds and looks absolutely delicious. I am going to try the minimum resting next time - I always presumed/assumed that longer is better but if your results are any indication, that is not the case. May I ask what type of flour you used? Thanks for posting and joining with us in our baking adventures!